Housing and cost of living: Application to the Spanish regions
Spain is a home-owner economy, and housing is a key good for determining the cost of living. However, its treatment in indices such as the Spanish Consumer Price Index (CPI) makes it impossible to measure the real impact of housing on the cost of living. This issue is especially relevant at the regional level, where the differences in the housing markets are very substantial. This paper demonstrates the importance of taking account of owner occupied housing in a measure of the cost of living for Spain.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heston, Alan & Nakamura, Alice O., 2009. "Questions about the equivalence of market rents and user costs for owner occupied housing," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 273-279, September.
- W. Erwin Diewert, 2003. "Hedonic Regressions. A Consumer Theory Approach," NBER Chapters, in: Scanner Data and Price Indexes, pages 317-348 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diewert, Erwin & Nakamura, Alice O., 2009.
"Accounting for Housing in a CPI,"
Economics working papers
erwin_diewert-2009-19, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 12 Mar 2009.
- Diewert, W. Erwin & Nakamura, Alice O. & Nakamura, Leonard I., 2009. "The housing bubble and a new approach to accounting for housing in a CPI," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 156-171, September.
- Ayuso, Juan & Restoy, Fernando, 2007. "House prices and rents in Spain: Does the discount factor matter?," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3-4), pages 291-308, November.
- Boris Cournède, 2005. "House Prices and Inflation in the Euro Area," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 450, OECD Publishing.
- Stuart McFadyen & Robert Hobart, 1978. "An Alternative Measurement of Housing Costs and the Consumer Price Index," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 11(1), pages 105-12, February.
- Garner, Thesia I. & Short, Kathleen, 2009. "Accounting for owner-occupied dwelling services: Aggregates and distributions," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 233-248, September.
- Jorge Martínez Pagés & Luis Ángel Maza, 2003. "Analysis of house prices in Spain," Working Papers 0307, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- W. Erwin Diewert, 2009. "Durables and Owner-Occupied Housing in a Consumer Price Index," NBER Chapters, in: Price Index Concepts and Measurement, pages 445-500 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Randal Verbrugge & Thesia I. Garner, 2009.
"Reconciling User Costs and Rental Equivalence: Evidence from the U.S. Consumer Expenditure Survey,"
427, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Garner, Thesia I. & Verbrugge, Randal, 2009. "Reconciling user costs and rental equivalence: Evidence from the US consumer expenditure survey," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 172-192, September.
- Joseph G Carson & David S Johnson & Charles Steindel, 2006. "Housing Costs in the CPI: What Are We Measuring?," Business Economics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 41(1), pages 59-68, January.
- Jorge Onrubia & M. Carmen Rodado & Luis Ayala, 2009.
"How do services of owner-occupied housing affect income inequality and redistribution?,"
112, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Onrubia, Jorge & Rodado, M. Carmen & Ayala, Luis, 2009. "How do services of owner-occupied housing affect income inequality and redistribution?," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 224-232, September.
- Dougherty, Ann & Van Order, Robert, 1982. "Inflation, Housing Costs, and the Consumer Price Index," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 154-64, March.
- Ayuso, Juan & Restoy, Fernando, 2006. "House prices and rents: An equilibrium asset pricing approach," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 371-388, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jhouse:v:21:y:2012:i:3:p:246-255. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.