How do services of owner-occupied housing affect income inequality and redistribution?
This paper aims at analyzing the redistributive impact that the inclusion of imputed rental market value of owner-occupied housing would have when quantifying ability to pay, rather than the legal imputation that considers cadastral values. We consider the Spanish Personal Income Tax as reference, due to the differential treatment that provides to this type of income, together with the higher percentages of ownership for primary residence in Spain. The analysis is carried out through a micro-simulation exercise in which different scenarios are proposed. Our results show that the measurement of income including market value incomes resulting from actual or potential use of significantly modifies income inequality and IRPF progressivity and redistribution.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.ecineq.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luis Ayala Cañón(1) & Jorge Onrubia Fernández(2) & María del Carmen Rodado Ruiz, . "El Tratamiento De Las Fuentes De Renta En El Irpf Y Su Influencia En La Desigualdad Y La Redistribución," Working Papers 25-06 Classification-JEL , Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.
- Kakwani, Nanok C, 1977. "Measurement of Tax Progressivity: An International Comparison," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 87(345), pages 71-80, March.
- Yates, Judith, 1994. "Imputed Rent and Income Distribution," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 40(1), pages 43-66, March.
- Katz, Arnold J, 1983. "Valuing the Services of Consumer Durables," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 29(4), pages 405-27, December.
- Musgrave, Richard A., 1990. "Horizontal Equity, Once More," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 43(2), pages 113-22, June.
- James Poterba & Todd Sinai, 2008. "Tax Expenditures for Owner-Occupied Housing: Deductions for Property Taxes and Mortgage Interest and the Exclusion of Imputed Rental Income," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(2), pages 84-89, May.
- Smeeding, Timothy M, et al, 1993. "Poverty, Inequality, and Family Living Standards Impacts across Seven Nations: The Effect of Noncash Subsidies for Health, Education and Housing," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 39(3), pages 229-56, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inq:inqwps:ecineq2009-112. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Ana Lugo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.