Housing, taxation and retirement provision
This paper considers the tax treatment of housing and the issue of savings for retirement in the context of a simplified model that still allows key aspects of the household context to be realistically represented. A model is developed in which both housing and financial assets can be used as vehicles for household saving. Individuals face perfect capital markets and choose between owner-occupied and rented accommodations. For the model developed, it is shown that the tax advantage of owner-occupied housing is not fully removed even if imputed rents are subject to income taxation. However, deferred income taxation for both housing and savings in the form of financial assets would result in an equal treatment of tenants and owner-occupiers.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gobillon, Laurent & le Blanc, David, 2008. "Economic effects of upfront subsidies to ownership: The case of the Prêt à Taux Zéro in France," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 1-33, March.
- repec:chk:cuhkdc:00004 is not listed on IDEAS
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1958. "An Exact Consumption-Loan Model of Interest with or without the Social Contrivance of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 467.
- Sanford J. Grossman & Guy Laroque, 1987.
"Asset Pricing and Optimal Portfolio Choice in the Presence of Illiquid Durable Consumption Goods,"
NBER Working Papers
2369, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Laroque, Guy, 1990. "Asset Pricing and Optimal Portfolio Choice in the Presence of Illiquid Durable Consumption Goods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 25-51, January.
- Sanford J Grossman & Guy Laroque, 2003. "Asset Pricing and Optimal Portfolio Choice in the Presence of Illiquid Durable Consumption Goods," Levine's Working Paper Archive 618897000000000803, David K. Levine.
- Skinner, Jonathan, 1996.
"The dynamic efficiency cost of not taxing housing,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 397-417, March.
- Warnock, Veronica Cacdac & Warnock, Francis E., 2008.
"Markets and housing finance,"
Journal of Housing Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 239-251, September.
- Veronica Cacdac Warnock & Francis E. Warnock, 2007. "Markets and Housing Finance," NBER Working Papers 13081, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Veronica Cacdac Warnock & Francis E. Warnock, 2008. "Markets and Housing Finance," Working Papers 032008, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Veronica Cacdac Warnock & Francis E. Warnock, 2007. "Markets and Housing Finance," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp221, IIIS.
- Artle, Roland & Varaiya, Pravin, 1978. "Life cycle consumption and homeownership," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 38-58, June.
- Aaron, Henry, 1970. "Income Taxes and Housing," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(5), pages 789-806, December.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J. & Okuyama, Toshiyuki, 1994. "Taxes, housing, and capital accumulation in a two-sector growing economy," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 245-267, February.
- repec:chk:cuhked:_164 is not listed on IDEAS
- van der Hoek, M. Peter & Radloff, Sarah. E., 2007. "Taxing owner-occupied housing: comparing the Netherlands to other European Union countries," MPRA Paper 5876, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- M. Wilhelmsson, 2004.
"House Price depreciation Rates and Level of Maintenance,"
eres2004_232, European Real Estate Society (ERES).
- Wilhelmsson, Mats, 2008. "House price depreciation rates and level of maintenance," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 88-101, March.
- Henderson, J Vernon & Ioannides, Yannis M, 1983. "A Model of Housing Tenure Choice," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 98-113, March.
- Leung, Charles, 2004. "Macroeconomics and housing: a review of the literature," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 249-267, December.
- Martin Gervais, 1998.
"Housing Taxation and Capital Accumulation,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
9807, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Marjorie Flavin & Shinobu Nakagawa, 2004. "A Model of Housing in the Presence of Adjustment Costs: A Structural Interpretation of Habit Persistence," NBER Working Papers 10458, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nakagami, Yasuhiro & Pereira, Alfredo M., 1996. "Budgetary and Efficiency Effects of Housing Taxation in the United States," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 68-86, January.
- Hamilton, Bob & Whalley, John, 1985. "Tax treatment of housing in a dynamic sequenced general equilibrium model," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 157-175, July.
- Pines, David & Sadka, Efraim & Sheshinski, Eytan, 1985. "The normative and positive aspects of the taxation of imputed rent on owner-occupied housing," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 1-23, June.
- Van Order, Robert, 1990. "Housing, taxes, and capital allocation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 387-398, August.
- Berkovec, James, 1989. "A General Equilibrium Model of Housing Consumption and Investment," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 157-72, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jhouse:v:18:y:2009:i:3:p:249-255. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.