Matching demand and supply in the agricultural knowledge infrastructure: Experiences with innovation intermediaries
The privatization of agricultural research and extension establishments worldwide has led to the development of a market for services designed to support agricultural innovation. However, due to market and systemic failures, both supply side and demand side parties in this market have experienced constraints in effecting transactions and establishing the necessary relationships to engage in demand-driven innovation processes. To mitigate these constraints, a field of intermediary organizations has emerged to assist agricultural entrepreneurs to articulate demand, forge linkages with those that can provide innovation support services, and manage innovation processes. This article aims to give an overview of the different kinds of the so-called innovation intermediaries that have emerged in The Netherlands and to report on their contributions and the tensions that are being experienced with regard to their functioning. The article concludes with a discussion in which it is argued that the state should play a role as a 'market facilitator', by funding such innovation intermediaries.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Beesley, Lisa G. A., 2003. "Science policy in changing times: are governments poised to take full advantage of an institution in transition?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1519-1531, September.
- William Knudson & Allen Wysocki & Joseph Champagne & H. Christopher Peterson, 2004. "Entrepreneurship and Innovation in the Agri-Food System," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1330-1336.
- Just, David R. & Wolf, Steven & Zilberman, David, 2003. "Principles of risk management service relations in agriculture," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 75(2-3), pages 199-213.
- Wallace E. Huffman & Richard E. Just, 1999.
"Agricultural Research: Benefits and Beneficiaries of Alternative Funding Mechanisms,"
Review of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 21(1), pages 2-18.
- Huffman, Wallace & Just, Richard E., 1999. "Agricultural Research: Benefits and Beneficiaries of Alternative Funding Mechanisms," Staff General Research Papers 1557, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Bart Nooteboom, 2000. "Learning by Interaction: Absorptive Capacity, Cognitive Distance and Governance," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 69-92, March.
- Jeroen Hinloopen, 2004. "The Market for Knowledge Brokers," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 22(5), pages 407-415, 06.
- Kolodny, Harvey & Stymne, Bengt & Shani, Rami & Figuera, Juan Ramon & Lillrank, Paul, 2001. "Design and policy choices for technology extension organizations," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 201-225, February.
- James C. Hanson & Richard E. Just, 2001. "The Potential for Transition to Paid Extension: Some Guiding Economic Principles," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 777-784.
- Cooke, Philip & Wills, David, 1999. "Small Firms, Social Capital and the Enhancement of Business Performance through Innovation Programmes," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 219-34, November.
- Howells, Jeremy, 2006. "Intermediation and the role of intermediaries in innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 715-728, June.
- Colette Henry & Frances Hill & Claire Leitch, 2003. "Developing a coherent enterprise support policy: a new challenge for governments," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 21(1), pages 3-19, February.
- Biggs, Stephen & Smith, Grant, 1998. "Beyond methodologies: Coalition-building for participatory technology development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 239-248, February.
- C. C. de Lauwere, 2005. "The role of agricultural entrepreneurship in Dutch agriculture of today," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 33(2), pages 229-238, 09.
- Bessant, John & Rush, Howard, 1995. "Building bridges for innovation: the role of consultants in technology transfer," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 97-114, January.
- Villy Søgaard, 2002. "Agricultural public-sector research establishments in Western Europe: Research priorities in conflict," Science and Public Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 29(4), pages 287-295, August.
- David Smallbone & Robert Baldock & David North, 2003. "Policy support for small firms in rural areas: the English experience," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 21(6), pages 825-841, December.
- Carney, Diana, 1995. "The changing public role in services to agriculture: a framework for analysis," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 521-528, December.
- Hall, Andrew & Bockett, Geoffrey & Taylor, Sarah & Sivamohan, M. V. K . & Clark, Norman, 2001. "Why Research Partnerships Really Matter: Innovation Theory, Institutional Arrangements and Implications for Developing New Technology for the Poor," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 783-797, May.
- van Baalen, P.J. & Bloemhof-Ruwaard, J.M. & van Heck, H.W.G.M., 2005.
"Knowledge sharing in an Emerging Network of Practice: The Role of a Knowledge Portal,"
ERIM Report Series Research in Management
ERS-2005-003-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- van Baalen, Peter & Bloemhof-Ruwaard, Jacqueline & van Heck, Eric, 2005. "Knowledge Sharing in an Emerging Network of Practice:: The Role of a Knowledge Portal," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 300-314, June.
- Norman Clark, 2002. "Innovation Systems, Institutional Change And The New Knowledge Market: Implications For Third World Agricultural Development," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(4-5), pages 353-368.
- Lutz Laschewski & Jeremy Phillipson & Matthew Gorton, 2002.
"The facilitation and formalisation of small business networks: evidence from the North East of England,"
Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy,
Pion Ltd, London, vol. 20(3), pages 375-391, June.
- Lutz Laschewski & Jeremy Phillipson & Matthew Gorton, 2002. "The Facilitation and Formalisation of Small Business Networks: Evidence from the North East of England," Environment and Planning C, , vol. 20(3), pages 375-391, June.
- Izushi, Hiro, 2003. "Impact of the length of relationships upon the use of research institutes by SMEs," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 771-788, May.
- Laurens Klerkx & Karin Grip & Cees Leeuwis, 2006. "Hands off but Strings Attached: The Contradictions of Policy-induced Demand-driven Agricultural Extension," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer;The Agriculture, Food, & Human Values Society (AFHVS), vol. 23(2), pages 189-204, 06.
- Sumberg, James, 2005. "Systems of innovation theory and the changing architecture of agricultural research in Africa," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 21-41, February.
- Jeremy Phillipson & Matthew Gorton & Marian Raley & Andrew Moxey, 2004. "Treating farms as firms? The evolution of farm business support from productionist to entrepreneurial models," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 22(1), pages 31-54, February.
- Jan de Wilt & Barend van der Meulen & Hans Rutten, 2003. "Developing futures for agriculture in the Netherlands: a systematic exploration of the strategic value of foresight," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2-3), pages 219-233.
- Oughton, Christine & Landabaso, Mikel & Morgan, Kevin, 2002. "The Regional Innovation Paradox: Innovation Policy and Industrial Policy," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 97-110, January.
- Roseboom, Johannes & Rutten, Hans, 1998. "The transformation of the Dutch agricultural research system: An unfinished agenda," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1113-1126, June.
- James Curran & David J Storey, 2002. "Small business policy in the United Kingdom: the inheritance of the Small Business Service and implications for its future effectiveness," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 20(2), pages 163-177, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jfpoli:v:33:y:2008:i:3:p:260-276. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.