Counterparty risk externality: Centralized versus over-the-counter markets
We study financial markets where agents share risks, but have incentives to default and their financial positions might not be transparent, that is, might not be mutually observable. We show that a lack of position transparency results in a counterparty risk externality, that manifests itself in the form of excess “leverage,” in that parties take on short positions that lead to levels of default risk that are higher than Pareto efficient ones. This externality is absent when trading is organized via a centralized clearing mechanism that provides transparency of trade positions. Collateral requirements and especially subordination of non-transparent positions in bankruptcy can ameliorate the counterparty risk externality in market settings such as over-the-counter (OTC) markets which feature a lack of position transparency.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Darrell Duffie & Nicolae Gârleanu & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2007.
"Valuation in Over-the-Counter Markets,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 20(6), pages 1865-1900, November.
- Duffie, Darrell & Garleanu, Nicolae Bogdan & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2006. "Valuation in Over-the-Counter Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 5491, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Darrell Duffie & Nicolae Garleanu & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2006. "Valuation in Over-the-Counter Markets," NBER Working Papers 12020, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gregory R. Duffee and Chunsheng Zhou., 1999.
"Credit Derivatives in Banking: Useful Tools for Managing Risk?,"
Research Program in Finance Working Papers
RPF-289, University of California at Berkeley.
- Duffee, Gregory R. & Zhou, Chunsheng, 2001. "Credit derivatives in banking: Useful tools for managing risk?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 25-54, August.
- Gregory R. Duffee & Chunsheng Zhou, 1997. "Credit derivatives in banking: useful tools for managing risk?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-13, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Duffee, Gregory R. & Zhou, Chunseng, 1999. "Credit Derivatives in Banking: Useful Tools for Managing Risk?," Research Program in Finance, Working Paper Series qt7g67n911, Research Program in Finance, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Alberto Bisin & Danilo Guaitoli, 1998.
"Moral hazard and non-exclusive contracts,"
Economics Working Papers
345, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Bisin, Alberto & Guaitoli, Danilo, 1998. "Moral Hazard and Non-Exclusive Contracts," CEPR Discussion Papers 1987, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bisin, A. & Guaitoli, D., 1998. "Moral Hazard and Non-Exclusive Contracts," Working Papers 98-24, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- James R. Thompson, 2010. "Counterparty Risk in Financial Contracts: Should the Insured Worry about the Insurer?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 125(3), pages 1195-1252, August.
- P. Dubey & J. Geanakoplos & M . Shubik, 2001.
"Default and Punishment in General Equilibrium,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
01-07, Stony Brook University, Department of Economics.
- Pradeep Dubey & John Geanakoplos & Martin Shubik, 2001. "Default and Punishment in General Equilibrium," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1304, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Pradeep Dubey & John Geanakoplos & Martin Shubik, 2001. "Default and Punishment in General Equilibrium," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1304R5, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Mar 2004.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1976. "Equilibrium in Competitive Insurance Markets: An Essay on the Economics of Imperfect Information," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 90(4), pages 630-49, November.
- Christine A. Parlour & Guillaume Plantin, 2008. "Loan Sales and Relationship Banking," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(3), pages 1291-1314, 06.
- Alberto Bisin & John Geanakoplos & Piero Gottardi & Enrico Minelli & Herakles Polemarchakis, 2010.
"Markets and contracts,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2010/29, European University Institute.
- Bizer, David S & DeMarzo, Peter M, 1992. "Sequential Banking," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(1), pages 41-61, February.
- Acharya, Viral V. & Johnson, Timothy C., 2007.
"Insider trading in credit derivatives,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 110-141, April.
- Darrell Duffie & Nicolae Garleanu & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2004.
NBER Working Papers
10816, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- T. Santos & J. Scheinkman, 2000.
"Competition Among Exchanges,"
Princeton Economic Theory Papers
00s12, Economics Department, Princeton University.
- Viral V. Acharya & Alberto Bisin, 2009. "Managerial hedging, equity ownership, and firm value," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 40(1), pages 47-77.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Alp Simsek, 2009. "Complexity and Financial Panics," NBER Working Papers 14997, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adriano Rampini & Alberto Bisin, 2005.
"Markets as Beneficial Constraints on the Government,"
2005 Meeting Papers
325, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Bisin, Alberto & Rampini, Adriano A., 2006. "Markets as beneficial constraints on the government," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(4-5), pages 601-629, May.
- Alberto Bisin & Adriano Rampini, 2006. "Exclusive contracts and the institution of bankruptcy," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 277-304, January.
- Christine A. Parlour & Uday Rajan, 2001. "Competition in Loan Contracts," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1311-1328, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jetheo:v:149:y:2014:i:c:p:153-182. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.