Is the more always better? A comparative study of internal and external integration practices in new product and new service development
This study investigates the relationship between internal and external integration practices and innovation success of new products and new services. Building on the idea that key success drivers in new product and new service development may have implementing costs besides their obvious benefits, this article examines the possibility that a nonlinear relationship in the shape of an inverted U exists between innovation success and the antecedents examined in this research. The present study also addresses scholars' call for research to investigate differences in the drivers of new product and new service success. The findings suggest that differences exist in the nature of the relationship—that is, linear versus nonlinear—between cross-functional integration, customer integration, and interfirm collaboration and innovation success in a new product versus new service setting.
Volume (Year): 67 (2014)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusres|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raj Echambadi & James D. Hess, 2007. "Mean-Centering Does Not Alleviate Collinearity Problems in Moderated Multiple Regression Models," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(3), pages 438-445, 05-06.
- Eric von Hippel, 1986. "Lead Users: A Source of Novel Product Concepts," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(7), pages 791-805, July.
- Lukas, Bryan A. & Menon, Ajay, 2004. "New product quality: intended and unintended consequences of new product development speed," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(11), pages 1258-1264, November.
- Cuijpers, Maarten & Guenter, Hannes & Hussinger, Katrin, 2011.
"Costs and benefits of inter-departmental innovation collaboration,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 565-575, May.
- Cuijpers, Maarten & Guenter, Hannes & Hussinger, Katrin, 2011. "Costs and benefits of inter-departmental innovation collaboration," ZEW Discussion Papers 11-003, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Abbie Griffin & John R. Hauser, 1993. "The Voice of the Customer," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 12(1), pages 1-27.
- Griffin, Abbie. & Hauser, John R., 1991. "The voice of the customer," Working papers #56-91. Working paper (Sl, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Johnsen, Thomas & Phillips, Wendy & Caldwell, Nigel & Lewis, Michael, 2006. "Centrality of customer and supplier interaction in innovation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(6), pages 671-678, June.
- Walter, Achim, 2003. "Relationship-specific factors influencing supplier involvement in customer new product development," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(9), pages 721-733, September.
- Hillebrand, Bas & Biemans, Wim G., 2003. "The relationship between internal and external cooperation: literature review and propositions," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(9), pages 735-743, September.
- Lui, Steven S. & Ngo, Hang-yue & Hon, Alice H.Y., 2006. "Coercive strategy in interfirm cooperation: Mediating roles of interpersonal and interorganizational trust," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(4), pages 466-474, April.
- Gruner, Kjell E. & Homburg, Christian, 2000. "Does Customer Interaction Enhance New Product Success?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 1-14, July.
- Kindström, Daniel & Kowalkowski, Christian & Sandberg, Erik, 2013. "Enabling service innovation: A dynamic capabilities approach," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(8), pages 1063-1073.
- Eugene W. Anderson & Claes Fornell & Roland T. Rust, 1997. "Customer Satisfaction, Productivity, and Profitability: Differences Between Goods and Services," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(2), pages 129-145.
- Jeroen de Jong & Patrick Vermeulen, 2003. "Organizing Successful New Service Development: A Literature Review," Scales Research Reports N200307, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Tsai, Kuen-Hung, 2009. "Collaborative networks and product innovation performance: Toward a contingency perspective," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 765-778, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:67:y:2014:i:7:p:1360-1367. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.