Governance mechanisms for mobile service innovation in value networks
Service innovation often requires multiple organizations to work together in complex, dynamic networks. Existing literature shows that mechanisms like trust, power and contracts govern activities in organizational networks. Scholars rarely study how such a mix of mechanisms evolves over time, especially not in relation to different stages of service innovation. This paper connects a phasing model on service innovation to concepts of inter-organizational governance in value networks, by examining what governance mechanisms are in use during service development, implementation and commercialization. This study analyzes an international survey among operators, content providers and application developers in the Mobile Internet services domain, which is noted for its complex inter-organizational networks. The findings suggest that power-based governance is in use in the early stages of developing service concepts and technologies, while trust-based governance is in use during implementation, roll-out and commercialization. Contract-based governance is most common during implementation and roll-out.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ness, Havard & Haugland, Sven A., 2005. "The evolution of governance mechanisms and negotiation strategies in fixed-duration interfirm relationships," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(9), pages 1226-1239, September.
- Halinen, Aino & Tornroos, Jan-Ake, 2005. "Using case methods in the study of contemporary business networks," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(9), pages 1285-1297, September.
- Håvard Ness, 2009. "Governance, Negotiations, and Alliance Dynamics: Explaining the Evolution of Relational Practice," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 451-480, 05.
- Lee, Yikuan & Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 2006. "Enhancing alliance performance: The effects of contractual-based versus relational-based governance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(8), pages 896-905, August.
- David Evans & Richard Schmalensee, 2007.
"The Industrial Organization of Markets with Two-Sided Platforms,"
Competition Policy International, vol. 3.
- David S. Evans & Richard Schmalensee, 2005. "The Industrial Organization of Markets with Two-Sided Platforms," NBER Working Papers 11603, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Moller, Kristian & Rajala, Arto & Svahn, Senja, 2005. "Strategic business nets--their type and management," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(9), pages 1274-1284, September.
- Uta When Montalvo & Els van de Kar & Carleen Maitland, 2005. "Resource-Based Interdependencies in Value Networks for Mobile E-Services," International Journal of E-Business Research (IJEBR), IGI Global, vol. 1(3), pages 1-20, July.
- Cai, Shaohan & Yang, Zhilin & Hu, Zuohao, 2009. "Exploring the governance mechanisms of quasi-integration in buyer-supplier relationships," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(6), pages 660-666, June.
- Vlaar, P.W.L. & van den Bosch, F.A.J. & Volberda, H.W., 2006. "On the Evolution of Trust, Distrust, and Formal Coordination and Control in Interorganizational Relationships: Towards an Integrative Framework," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2006-035-STR, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1979. "Transaction-Cost Economics: The Governance of Contractural Relations," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(2), pages 233-61, October.
- Jeroen de Jong & Patrick Vermeulen, 2003. "Organizing Successful New Service Development: A Literature Review," Scales Research Reports N200307, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Gallouj, Faiz & Weinstein, Olivier, 1997.
"Innovation in services,"
Elsevier, vol. 26(4-5), pages 537-556, December.
- von Tunzelmann, Nick, 2003. "Historical coevolution of governance and technology in the industrial revolutions," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 365-384, December.
- Jean Gadrey & Faïz Gallouj & Olivier Weinstein, 1995. "New modes of innovation: how services benefit industry," Post-Print halshs-01114102, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:65:y:2012:i:3:p:347-354. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.