Women in top management and agency costs
This study investigates gender diversity among the top managers of Fortune 500 firms and its effect on agency costs. The study finds that firms with a greater percentage of female officers present lower agency costs but that the negative relation is not robust when considering the endogeneity of diversity. The study also finds that external governance influences the relationship. Although increasing diversity does not reduce agency costs for all firms, the evidence shows that diversity is significantly negatively related to agency costs in firms in less competitive markets. The results suggest that increasing diversity in management can have beneficial effects for firms where strong external governance is absent.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nickell, S.J., 1993.
"Competition and Crporate Performance,"
Economics Series Working Papers
99155, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Justin Wolfers, 2006.
"Diagnosing Discrimination: Stock Returns and CEO Gender,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 4(2-3), pages 531-541, 04-05.
- Wolfers, Justin, 2006. "Diagnosing Discrimination: Stock Returns and CEO Gender," IZA Discussion Papers 1944, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Justin Wolfers, 2006. "Diagnosing Discrimination: Stock Returns and CEO Gender," NBER Working Papers 11989, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wolfers, Justin, 2006. "Diagnosing Discrimination: Stock Returns and CEO Gender," CEPR Discussion Papers 5507, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Smith, Nina & Smith, Valdemar & Verner, Mette, 2005.
"Do Women in Top Management Affect Firm Performance? A Panel Study of 2500 Danish Firms,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1708, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Nina Smith & Valdemar Smith & Mette Verner, 2005. "Do Women in Top Management Affect Firm Performance? A Panel Study of 2500 Danish Firms," CIE Discussion Papers 2005-03, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Moncrief, William C. & Babakus, Emin & Cravens, David W. & Johnston, Mark W., 2000. "Examining Gender Differences in Field Sales Organizations," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 245-257, September.
- Oliver D. Hart, 1983. "The Market Mechanism as an Incentive Scheme," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(2), pages 366-382, Autumn.
- Michael S. Rozeff, 1982. "Growth, Beta And Agency Costs As Determinants Of Dividend Payout Ratios," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 5(3), pages 249-259, 09.
- Adams, Renée B. & Ferreira, Daniel, 2008.
"Women in the Boardroom and Their Impact on Governance and Performance,"
CEI Working Paper Series
2008-7, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Adams, Renée B. & Ferreira, Daniel, 2009. "Women in the boardroom and their impact on governance and performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 291-309, November.
- Paul Gompers & Joy Ishii & Andrew Metrick, 2003.
"Corporate Governance and Equity Prices,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 118(1), pages 107-156.
- Paul A. Gompers & Joy L. Ishii & Andrew Metrick, 2001. "Corporate Governance and Equity Prices," NBER Working Papers 8449, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul A. Gompers & Joy L. Ishii & Andrew Metrick, 2002. "Corporate Governance and Equity Prices," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 02-32, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- David R. Graham & Daniel P. Kaplan & David S. Sibley, 1983. "Efficiency and Competition in the Airline Industry," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(1), pages 118-138, Spring.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-29, May.
- Kee H. Chung & Stephen W. Pruitt, 1994. "A Simple Approximation of Tobin's q," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 23(3), Fall.
- Mary E. Graham & Julie L. Hotchkiss, 2003. "Which industries are the best employers for women? an application of a new Equal Employment Opportunity Index," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2003-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Bruton, Garry D. & Keels, J. Kay & Scifres, Elton L., 2002. "Corporate restructuring and performance: An agency perspective on the complete buyout cycle," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(9), pages 709-724, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:64:y:2011:i:2:p:180-186. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.