Application of hedonic price modeling to consumer packaged goods using store scanner data
This paper contributes to the marketing research literature by proposing an application of hedonic modeling to consumer packaged goods using store scanner data. While other studies have applied hedonic price modeling to CPG, the interpretation of their results might have been flawed. This paper, by proposing an extension of the traditional approach to account for sales quantity, makes the hedonic modeling results based on CPG scanner data acquire their intended interpretation. Hedonic modeling provides an additional alternative in the toolkit of the applied marketing researcher to assist revealing markets' relative preferences. To illustrate the use of hedonic modeling in CPG, the paper focuses on Premium Carbonated Soft Drinks. It uses a full year of weekly store scanner data from grocery stores sampled across the U.S.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cropper, Maureen L & Deck, Leland B & McConnell, Kenneth E, 1988. "On the Choice of Functional Form for Hedonic Price Functions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(4), pages 668-75, November.
- Sultan, Fareena, 2002. "Consumer response to the Internet: an exploratory tracking study of on-line home users," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(8), pages 655-663, August.
- Ladd, George W & Zober, Martin, 1977. " Model of Consumer Reaction to Product Characteristics," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 4(2), pages 89-101, Se.
- Dadi Kristofersson & Kyrre Rickertsen, 2007. "Hedonic Price Models for Dynamic Markets," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 69(3), pages 387-412, 06.
- V. Srinivasan & Chan Su Park & Dae Ryun Chang, 2005. "An Approach to the Measurement, Analysis, and Prediction of Brand Equity and Its Sources," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(9), pages 1433-1448, September.
- Dutton, Jennifer M. & Ward, Clement E. & Lusk, Jayson L., 2007. "Implicit Value of Retail Beef Brands and Retail Meat Product Attributes," 2007 Conference, April 16-17, 2007, Chicago, Illinois 37571, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Srinivasan, V. "Seenu" & Park, Chan Su & Chang, Dae Ryun, 2005. "An Approach to the Measurement, Analysis, and Prediction of Brand Equity and Its Sources," Research Papers 1685r2, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Kenneth E. McConnell & Ivar E. Strand, 2000. "Hedonic Prices for Fish: Tuna Prices in Hawaii," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(1), pages 133-144.
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132.
- Benson, Earl D, et al, 1998. "Pricing Residential Amenities: The Value of a View," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 55-73, January.
- Karipidis, Philippos I. & Tsakiridou, Efthimia & Tabakis, Nikolaos M. & Mattas, Konstadinos, 2005. "Hedonic Analysis of Retail Egg Prices," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 36(03), November.
- Simonin, Bernard L. & Ruth, Julie A., 1995. "Bundling as a strategy for new product introduction: Effects on consumers' reservation prices for the bundle, the new product, and its tie-in," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 219-230, July.
- William Vickrey, 1961. "Counterspeculation, Auctions, And Competitive Sealed Tenders," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 16(1), pages 8-37, 03.
- Yoo, Boonghee & Donthu, Naveen, 2001. "Developing and validating a multidimensional consumer-based brand equity scale," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-14, April.
- Michael T. Carroll & James L. Anderson & Josué Mart�nez-Garmendia, 2001. "Pricing U.S. North Atlantic bluefin tuna and implications for management," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(2), pages 243-254.
- Harris, James Michael, 1997. "The Impact Of Food Product Characteristics On Consumer Purchasing Behavior: The Case Of Frankfurters," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 28(1), February.
- Hall, Jane & Viney, Rosalie & Haas, Marion & Louviere, Jordan, 2004. "Using stated preference discrete choice modeling to evaluate health care programs," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(9), pages 1026-1032, September.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:63:y:2010:i:7:p:690-696. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.