Commodity and equity markets: Some stylized facts from a copula approach
In this paper, we propose to identify the dependence structure that exists between returns on equity and commodity futures and its development over the past 20years. The key point is that we do not impose any dependence structure, but let the data select it. To do so, we model the dependence between commodity (metal, agriculture and energy) and stock markets using a flexible approach that allows us to investigate whether the co-movement is: (i) symmetrical and frequent, (ii) (a) symmetrical and mostly present during extreme events and (iii) asymmetrical and mostly present during extreme events. We also allow for this dependence to be time-varying from January 1990 to February 2012. Our analysis uncovers three major stylised facts. First, we find that the dependence between commodity and stock markets is time-varying, symmetrical and occurs most of the time (as opposed to mostly during extreme events). Second, not allowing for time-varying parameters in the dependence distribution generates a bias towards an evidence of tail dependence. Similarly, considering only tail dependence may lead to false evidence of asymmetry. Third, a growing co-movement between industrial metals and equity markets is identified as early as 2003; this co-movement spreads to all commodity classes and becomes unambiguously stronger with the global financial crisis after Fall 2008.
Volume (Year): 37 (2013)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Y. Malevergne & D. Sornette, 2003.
"Testing the Gaussian copula hypothesis for financial assets dependences,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(4), pages 231-250.
- Y. Malevergne & D. Sornette, 2001. "Testing the Gaussian Copula Hypothesis for Financial Assets Dependences," Finance 0111003, EconWPA.
- Yannick Malevergne & Didier Sornette, 2003. "Testing the Gaussian copula hypothesis for financial assets dependences," Post-Print hal-00520539, HAL.
- Y. Malevergne & D. Sornette, 2001. "Testing the Gaussian Copula Hypothesis for Financial Assets Dependences," Papers cond-mat/0111310, arXiv.org.
- Jeffrey A Frankel & Andrew K Rose, 2010.
"Determinants of Agricultural and Mineral Commodity Prices,"
RBA Annual Conference Volume,in: Renée Fry & Callum Jones & Christopher Kent (ed.), Inflation in an Era of Relative Price Shocks
Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Rose, Andrew K., 2010. "Determinants of Agricultural and Mineral Commodity Prices," Scholarly Articles 4450126, Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Rose, Andrew K., 2010. "Determinants of Agricultural and Mineral Commodity Prices," Working Paper Series rwp10-038, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Ke Tang & Wei Xiong, 2010. "Index Investment and Financialization of Commodities," NBER Working Papers 16385, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Silvennoinen, Annastiina & Thorp, Susan, 2013. "Financialization, crisis and commodity correlation dynamics," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 42-65.
- Annastiina Silvennoinen & Susan Thorp, 2010. "Financialization, Crisis and Commodity Correlation Dynamics," Research Paper Series 267, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Robert W. Kolb, 1992. "Is normal backwardation normal?," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(1), pages 75-91, February.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/2332 is not listed on IDEAS
- François Longin, 2001. "Extreme Correlation of International Equity Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 649-676, April.
- Thierry Ane & Cecile Kharoubi, 2003. "Dependence Structure and Risk Measure," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 76(3), pages 411-438, July.
- Ling Hu, 2006. "Dependence patterns across financial markets: a mixed copula approach," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(10), pages 717-729.
- Isabelle Huault & V. Perret & S. Charreire-Petit, 2007. "Management," Post-Print halshs-00337676, HAL.
- Daskalaki, Charoula & Skiadopoulos, George, 2011. "Should investors include commodities in their portfolios after all? New evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 2606-2626, October.
- Desmoulins-Lebeault, François & Kharoubi-Rakotomalala, Cécile, 2012. "Non-Gaussian diversification: When size matters," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 1987-1996.
- Bicchetti, David & Maystre, Nicolas Maystre, 2013. "The synchronized and long-lasting structural change on commodity markets: Evidence from high frequency data," Algorithmic Finance, IOS Press, vol. 2(3-4), pages 233-239.
- Bicchetti, David & Maystre, Nicolas, 2012. "The synchronized and long-lasting structural change on commodity markets: evidence from high frequency data," MPRA Paper 37486, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David Bicchetti & Nicolas Maystre, 2012. "The Synchronized And Long-Lasting Structural Change On Commodity Markets: Evidence From High Frequency Data," UNCTAD Discussion Papers 208, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Chollete, Lorán & de la Peña, Victor & Lu, Ching-Chih, 2011. "International diversification: A copula approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 403-417, February.
- Kole, Erik & Koedijk, Kees & Verbeek, Marno, 2007. "Selecting copulas for risk management," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 2405-2423, August.
- Andrew J. Patton, 2006. "Modelling Asymmetric Exchange Rate Dependence," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 47(2), pages 527-556, May.
- Andrew Patton, 2004. "Modelling Asymmetric Exchange Rate Dependence," Working Papers wp04-04, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-350, July.
- Ning, Cathy, 2010. "Dependence structure between the equity market and the foreign exchange market-A copula approach," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 743-759, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:37:y:2013:i:12:p:5346-5356. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.