Commodity and equity markets: Some stylized facts from a copula approach
In this paper, we propose to identify the dependence structure that exists between returns on equity and commodity futures and its development over the past 20years. The key point is that we do not impose any dependence structure, but let the data select it. To do so, we model the dependence between commodity (metal, agriculture and energy) and stock markets using a flexible approach that allows us to investigate whether the co-movement is: (i) symmetrical and frequent, (ii) (a) symmetrical and mostly present during extreme events and (iii) asymmetrical and mostly present during extreme events. We also allow for this dependence to be time-varying from January 1990 to February 2012. Our analysis uncovers three major stylised facts. First, we find that the dependence between commodity and stock markets is time-varying, symmetrical and occurs most of the time (as opposed to mostly during extreme events). Second, not allowing for time-varying parameters in the dependence distribution generates a bias towards an evidence of tail dependence. Similarly, considering only tail dependence may lead to false evidence of asymmetry. Third, a growing co-movement between industrial metals and equity markets is identified as early as 2003; this co-movement spreads to all commodity classes and becomes unambiguously stronger with the global financial crisis after Fall 2008.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-50, July.
- Daskalaki, Charoula & Skiadopoulos, George, 2011. "Should investors include commodities in their portfolios after all? New evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 2606-2626, October.
- Andrew J. Patton, 2006.
"Modelling Asymmetric Exchange Rate Dependence,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 47(2), pages 527-556, 05.
- Y. Malevergne & D. Sornette, 2001.
"Testing the Gaussian Copula Hypothesis for Financial Assets Dependences,"
- Y. Malevergne & D. Sornette, 2003. "Testing the Gaussian copula hypothesis for financial assets dependences," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(4), pages 231-250.
- Y. Malevergne & D. Sornette, 2001. "Testing the Gaussian Copula Hypothesis for Financial Assets Dependences," Finance 0111003, EconWPA.
- Yannick Malevergne & Didier Sornette, 2003. "Testing the Gaussian copula hypothesis for financial assets dependences," Post-Print hal-00520539, HAL.
- Silvennoinen, Annastiina & Thorp, Susan, 2013.
"Financialization, crisis and commodity correlation dynamics,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 42-65.
- Annastiina Silvennoinen & Susan Thorp, 2010. "Financialization, Crisis and Commodity Correlation Dynamics," Research Paper Series 267, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Ke Tang & Wei Xiong, 2010. "Index Investment and Financialization of Commodities," NBER Working Papers 16385, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- François Longin, 2001. "Extreme Correlation of International Equity Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 649-676, 04.
- David Bicchetti & Nicolas Maystre, 2012.
"The Synchronized And Long-Lasting Structural Change On Commodity Markets: Evidence From High Frequency Data,"
UNCTAD Discussion Papers
208, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Bicchetti, David & Maystre, Nicolas Maystre, 2013. "The synchronized and long-lasting structural change on commodity markets: Evidence from high frequency data," Algorithmic Finance, IOS Press, vol. 2(3-4), pages 233-239.
- Bicchetti, David & Maystre, Nicolas, 2012. "The synchronized and long-lasting structural change on commodity markets: evidence from high frequency data," MPRA Paper 37486, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Koedijk, Kees & Kole, Erik & Verbeek, Marno, 2006.
"Selecting Copulas for Risk Management,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5652, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chollete, Lorán & de la Peña, Victor & Lu, Ching-Chih, 2011. "International diversification: A copula approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 403-417, February.
- Isabelle Huault & V. Perret & S. Charreire-Petit, 2007. "Management," Post-Print halshs-00337676, HAL.
- Ling Hu, 2006. "Dependence patterns across financial markets: a mixed copula approach," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(10), pages 717-729.
- Robert W. Kolb, 1992. "Is normal backwardation normal?," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(1), pages 75-91, 02.
- Desmoulins-Lebeault, François & Kharoubi-Rakotomalala, Cécile, 2012. "Non-Gaussian diversification: When size matters," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 1987-1996.
- Thierry Ane & Cecile Kharoubi, 2003. "Dependence Structure and Risk Measure," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 76(3), pages 411-438, July.
- Jeffrey A Frankel & Andrew K Rose, 2010.
"Determinants of Agricultural and Mineral Commodity Prices,"
RBA Annual Conference Volume,
in: Renée Fry & Callum Jones & Christopher Kent (ed.), Inflation in an Era of Relative Price Shocks
Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Rose, Andrew K., 2010. "Determinants of Agricultural and Mineral Commodity Prices," Scholarly Articles 4450126, Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Rose, Andrew K., 2010. "Determinants of Agricultural and Mineral Commodity Prices," Working Paper Series rwp10-038, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/2332 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ning, Cathy, 2010. "Dependence structure between the equity market and the foreign exchange market-A copula approach," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 743-759, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:37:y:2013:i:12:p:5346-5356. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.