Are there waves in merger activity after all?
This paper investigates the merger wave hypothesis for the US and the UK employing a Markov regime-switching model. Using quarterly data covering the last 30Â years, for the US, we identify the beginning of a merger wave in the mid 1990s but not the much-discussed 1980s merger wave. We argue that the latter finding can be ascribed to the refined methods of inference offered by the Gibbs sampling approach. As opposed to the US, mergers in the UK exhibit multiple waves, with activity surging in the early 1970s and the late 1980s.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Toxvaerd, Flavio, 2008.
"Strategic merger waves: A theory of musical chairs,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 1-26, May.
- Toxvaerd, Flavio, 2007. "Strategic Merger Waves: A Theory of Musical Chairs," CEPR Discussion Papers 6159, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Flavio Toxvaerd, 2004. "Strategic Merger Waves: A Theory of Musical Chairs," Discussion Paper Series dp359, The Federmann Center for the Study of Rationality, the Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Philippe Mahler & Rainer Winkelmann, 2005.
"Single Motherhood and (Un)Equal EducationalOpportunities: Evidence for Germany,"
SOI - Working Papers
0512, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- Mahler, Philippe & Winkelmann, Rainer, 2004. "Single Motherhood and (Un)Equal Educational Opportunities: Evidence for Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 1391, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Golbe, Devra L & White, Lawrence J, 1993. "Catch a Wave: The Time Series Behavior of Mergers," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(3), pages 493-99, August.
- Stefan Boes & Markus Lipp & Rainer Winkelmann, 2005.
"Money Illusion Under Test,"
SOI - Working Papers
0514, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- Nilssen, Tore & Sorgard, Lars, 1998.
"Sequential horizontal mergers,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 42(9), pages 1683-1702, November.
- Chow, Gregory C., 1984. "Random and changing coefficient models," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 21, pages 1213-1245 Elsevier.
- Samuel Muehlemann & Juerg Schweri & Rainer Winkelmann & Stefan C. Wolter, 2005.
"A Structural Model of Demand for Apprentices,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1417, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gregor Andrade & Mark Mitchell & Erik Stafford, 2001. "New Evidence and Perspectives on Mergers," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(2), pages 103-120, Spring.
- Bengt Holmstrom & Steven N. Kaplan, 2001. "Corporate Governance and Merger Activity in the United States: Making Sense of the 1980s and 1990s," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(2), pages 121-144, Spring.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-84, March.
- Albert, James H & Chib, Siddhartha, 1993. "Bayes Inference via Gibbs Sampling of Autoregressive Time Series Subject to Markov Mean and Variance Shifts," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(1), pages 1-15, January.
- Boyan Jovanovic & Peter L. Rousseau, 2002.
"The Q-Theory of Mergers,"
NBER Working Papers
8740, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yves Schneider & Peter Zweifel, 2005. "Spatial Effects in Willingness-to-Pay: The Case of Two Nuclear Risks," SOI - Working Papers 0502, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich, revised Sep 2007.
- John T. Barkoulas & Christopher F. Baum & Atreya Chakraborty, 1997.
"Waves and Persistence in Merger and Acquisition Activity,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
396, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 14 Dec 1999.
- Barkoulas, John T. & Baum, Christopher F. & Chakraborty, Atreya, 2001. "Waves and persistence in merger and acquisition activity," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 237-243, February.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 2001.
"Stock Market Driven Acquisitions,"
NBER Working Papers
8439, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gärtner, Dennis L. & Halbheer, Daniel, 2009.
"Are there waves in merger activity after all?,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 708-718, November.
- Dennis L. Gärtner & Daniel Halbheer, 2008. "Are There Waves in Merger Activity After All?," Working Papers 0092, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Dennis Gaertner & Daniel Halbheer, 2004. "Are There Waves in Merger Activity After All?," SOI - Working Papers 0414, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich, revised Feb 2006.
- Boyan Jovanovic & Peter L. Rousseau, 2008.
"Mergers as Reallocation,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 90(4), pages 765-776, November.
- Matthew Rhodes-Kropf & S. Viswanathan, 2004. "Market Valuation and Merger Waves," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(6), pages 2685-2718, December.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993.
"Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 821-56, July.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990. "Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 943, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Lalive, Rafael & Schmutzler, Armin, 2005. "Competition for Railway Markets: The Case of Baden-Württemberg," CEPR Discussion Papers 5396, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mulherin, J. Harold & Boone, Audra L., 2000. "Comparing acquisitions and divestitures," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 117-139, July.
- Larry D. Qiu & Wen Zhou, 2007. "Merger waves: a model of endogenous mergers," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 38(1), pages 214-226, 03.
- David J. Ravenscraft, 1987. "The 1980s merger wave: an industrial organization perspective," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 31, pages 17-51.
- Devra L. Golbe & Lawrence J. White, 1988. "A Time-Series Analysis of Mergers and Acquisitions in the U.S. Economy," NBER Chapters, in: Corporate Takeovers: Causes and Consequences, pages 265-310 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harford, Jarrad, 2005. "What drives merger waves?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(3), pages 529-560, September.
- Charles R. Nelson & Eric Zivot & Jeremy M. Piger, 2001.
"Markov regime switching and unit root tests,"
2001-013, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Avenel, Eric, 2003. "Strategic vertical integration without foreclosure," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 11, Royal Economic Society.
- Resende, Marcelo, 1999. " Wave Behaviour of Mergers and Acquisitions in the UK: A Sectoral Study," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(1), pages 85-94, February.
- Bühler, Stefan & Schmutzler, Armin, 2003. "Who Integrates?," CEPR Discussion Papers 4066, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:indorg:v:27:y:2009:i:6:p:708-718. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.