Money Illusion Under Test
Much progress has been made in recent years in developing and applying a direct measure of utility using survey questions on satisfaction with income and with life in general. In this paper we apply this new type of measurement to the study of money illusion. Using data from the German Socio-Economic Panel for the years 1993 to 2003, we cannot reject the hypothesis of no money illusion.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Economics Letters 94, 2007, pages 332–337|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +41-1-634 21 37
Fax: +41-1-634 49 82
Web page: http://www.soi.uzh.ch/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shafir, Eldar & Diamond, Peter & Tversky, Amos, 1997. "Money Illusion," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(2), pages 341-74, May.
- Robert J. MacCulloch & Rafael Di Tella & Andrew J. Oswald, 2001.
"Preferences over Inflation and Unemployment: Evidence from Surveys of Happiness,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(1), pages 335-341, March.
- DiTella, Rafael & MacCulloch, Robert & Oswald, Andrew J., 2001. "Preferences over inflation and unemployment: Evidence from surveys of happiness," ZEI Working Papers B 03-2001, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Ernst Fehr & Jean-Robert Tyran, .
"Does Money Illusion Matter?,"
IEW - Working Papers
012, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Bühler, Stefan & Schmutzler, Armin, 2003. "Who Integrates?," CEPR Discussion Papers 4066, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Samuel Muehlemann & Juerg Schweri & Rainer Winkelmann & Stefan C. Wolter, 2005.
"A Structural Model of Demand for Apprentices,"
SOI - Working Papers
0504, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- Dennis Gaertner & Daniel Halbheer, 2004.
"Are There Waves in Merger Activity After All?,"
SOI - Working Papers
0414, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich, revised Feb 2006.
- Philippe Mahler & Rainer Winkelmann, 2005.
"Single Motherhood and (Un)Equal EducationalOpportunities: Evidence for Germany,"
SOI - Working Papers
0512, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- Mahler, Philippe & Winkelmann, Rainer, 2004. "Single Motherhood and (Un)Equal Educational Opportunities: Evidence for Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 1391, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Daniel Halbheer & Sarah Niggli & Armin Schmutzler, 2006.
"What Does it Take to Sell Environmental Policy? An Empirical Analysis of Referendum Data,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 33(4), pages 441-462, 04.
- Daniel Halbheer & Sarah Niggli & Armin Schmutzler, 2003. "What does it take to sell Environmental Policy? An empirical Analysis of Referendum Data," SOI - Working Papers 0304, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich, revised Apr 2005.
- Stefan Boes, 2004. "Empirical Likelihood in Count Data Models: The Case of Endogenous Regressors," SOI - Working Papers 0404, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- Michael W.M. Roos, 2003.
"Regional price levels in Germany,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa03p511, European Regional Science Association.
- Tobin, James, 1972. "Inflation and Unemployment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(1), pages 1-18, March.
- Lalive, Rafael & Schmutzler, Armin, 2005. "Competition for Railway Markets: The Case of Baden-Württemberg," CEPR Discussion Papers 5396, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thomas Borek & Stefan Buehler & Armin Schmutzler, 2004. "Mergers under Asymmetric Information – Is there a Lemons Problem?," SOI - Working Papers 0408, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- Yves Schneider & Peter Zweifel, 2005. "Spatial Effects in Willingness-to-Pay: The Case of Two Nuclear Risks," SOI - Working Papers 0502, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich, revised Sep 2007.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:soz:wpaper:0514. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marita Kieser)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.