Foreign Direct Investment and R&D Offshoring
We analyze a two-country model of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI). Two firms, each of which is originally situated in only one of the two countries, first decide whether to build a plant in the foreign country. Then, they decide whether to relocate R&D activities. Finally, they engage in product-market competition. Our main points are: first, FDI liberalization causes a relocation of R&D activities if intrafirm communication is sufficiently well developed, external spillovers are substantial, competition is not too strong and foreign markets are not too small. Second, such a relocation of R&D activities will usually nevertheless increase domestic welfare since it only occurs if intrafirm communication is well developed and therefore knowledge generated and obtained abroad flows back to the domestic country. Third, the potential of R&D offshoring makes FDI itself more likely. Fourth, when countries are asymmetric, the small-country firm is more likely to offshore its R&D activities into the large country than conversely.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Samuel Muehlemann & Juerg Schweri & Rainer Winkelmann & Stefan C. Wolter, 2005.
"A Structural Model of Demand for Apprentices,"
SOI - Working Papers
0504, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- Kjetil Bjorvatn & Carsten Eckel, 2006.
"Technology Sourcing and Strategic Foreign Direct Investment,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 600-614, 09.
- Bjorvatn, Kjetil & Eckel, Carsten, 2006. "Technology sourcing and strategic foreign direct investment," Munich Reprints in Economics 20269, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Bjorvatn, K. & Eckel, C., 2001. "Technology Sourcing and Strategic Foreign Direct Investment," Papers 28/2001, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Aitken, B. & Hanson, G.H. & Harrison, A.E., 1994.
"Spillovers, Foreign Investment and Export Behavior,"
95-06, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Aitken, Brian & Hanson, Gordon H. & Harrison, Ann E., 1997. "Spillovers, foreign investment, and export behavior," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 103-132, August.
- Brian Aitken & Gordon H. Hanson & Ann E. Harrison, 1994. "Spillovers, Foreign Investment, and Export Behavior," NBER Working Papers 4967, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alejandra Cattaneo & Sandra Hanslin & Rainer Winkelmann, 2007.
"The Apple Falls Increasingly Far: Parent-Child Correlation in Schooling and the Growth of Post-Secondary Education in Switzerland,"
Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES),
Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 143(II), pages 133-153, June.
- Sandra Hanslin & Rainer Winkelmann, 2006. "The Apple Falls Increasingly Far: Parent-Child Correlation in Schooling and the Growth of Post-Secondary Education in Switzerland," SOI - Working Papers 0603, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- Stefan Boes & Rainer Winkelmann, 2006. "The Effect of Income on Positive and Negative Subjective Well-Being," SOI - Working Papers 0605, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- Das, Sanghamitra, 1987. "Externalities, and technology transfer through multinational corporations A theoretical analysis," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1-2), pages 171-182, February.
- Dennis L. Gärtner & Daniel Halbheer, 2008.
"Are There Waves in Merger Activity After All?,"
0092, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Philippe Mahler & Rainer Winkelmann, 2005.
"Single Motherhood and (Un)Equal EducationalOpportunities: Evidence for Germany,"
SOI - Working Papers
0512, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- Mahler, Philippe & Winkelmann, Rainer, 2004. "Single Motherhood and (Un)Equal Educational Opportunities: Evidence for Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 1391, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Leahy, Dermot & Neary, J Peter, 1997.
"Public Policy towards R&D in Oligopolistic Industries,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 642-662, September.
- Leahy, Dermot & Neary, J Peter, 1995. "Public Policy Towards R&D in Oligopolistic Industries," CEPR Discussion Papers 1243, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- D Leahy & J.P. Neary, 1995. "Public Policy Towards R&D in Oligopolistic Industries," CEP Discussion Papers dp0270, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Dermot Leahy & J. Peter Neary, 1995. "Public policy towards R&D in oligopolistic industries," Working Papers 199511, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Motta, Massimo & Norman, George, 1996.
"Does Economic Integration Cause Foreign Direct Investment?,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 37(4), pages 757-83, November.
- Massimo Motta & George Norman, 1993. "Does economic integration cause foreign direct investment?," Economics Working Papers 28, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Kogut, Bruce & Chang, Sea Jin, 1991. "Technological Capabilities and Japanese Foreign Direct Investment in the United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(3), pages 401-413, August.
- Hakanson, Lars & Nobel, Robert, 1993. "Foreign research and development in Swedish multinationals," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(5-6), pages 373-396, November.
- D.N. Saxena, 1989. "Foreign Direct Investment," Foreign Trade Review, Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, vol. 24(1), pages 76-97, April.
- Wolfgang HÄRDLE & J. MARRON & L. YANG, 1996. "Discussion," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1996,65, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996.
"Multinational Corporations and Spillovers,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
99, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Stefan Boes & Markus Lipp & Rainer Winkelmann, 2005.
"Money Illusion Under Test,"
SOI - Working Papers
0514, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- Audretsch, David B & Feldman, Maryann P, 1996. "R&D Spillovers and the Geography of Innovation and Production," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 630-640, June.
- Rupert Harrison & Rachel Griffith & John Van Reenen, 2004. "Technology Sourcing: An Empirical Analysis Using Firm-Level Patent Data," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004 12, Royal Economic Society.
- Neven, Damien & Siotis, Georges, 1993.
"Foreign Direct Investment in the European Community: Some Policy Issues,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 9(2), pages 72-93, Summer.
- Damien D. Neven & Georges Siotis, 1993. "Foreign direct investment in the european community: Some policy issues," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/184831, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Yves Schneider & Peter Zweifel, 2005. "Spatial Effects in Willingness-to-Pay: The Case of Two Nuclear Risks," SOI - Working Papers 0502, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich, revised Sep 2007.
- Ignatius J. Horstmann & James R. Markusen, 1990. "Endogenous Market Structures in International Trade," NBER Working Papers 3283, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lalive, Rafael & Schmutzler, Armin, 2005. "Competition for Railway Markets: The Case of Baden-Württemberg," CEPR Discussion Papers 5396, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Walter Kuemmerle, 1999. "The Drivers of Foreign Direct Investment into Research and Development: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 30(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Belderbos, Rene, 2001. "Overseas innovations by Japanese firms: an analysis of patent and subsidiary data," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 313-332, February.
- Zejan, Mario C, 1990. " R&D Activities in Affiliates of Swedish Multinational Enterprises," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 92(3), pages 487-500.
- Sanna-Randaccio, Francesca, 1996. "New protectionism and multinational companies," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1-2), pages 29-51, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:5766. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.