Export stimuli: Export intention compared with export activity
With the increasing globalization of markets and their interdependencies, small and medium sized domestic firms have witnessed their relative sanctuary from foreign competitors being eroded. This study is founded upon the premise that a significant degree of dormant export potential exists in firms of such size and the particular interests of the research centre upon preexport behaviour and decision making. An attempt is made to investigate those elements that play an influential role in stimulating domestic firms' intention to engage in export activities, based upon the notion that firms exhibiting a strong intention to export will be those most likely to proceed successfully to export initiation and development. Specifically, the objectives of the study concern: the identification of potentially significant differences in export stimuli between groups of non-exporting firms considered in terms of degree of export intention; and, a comparison of export stimuli between groups of non-exporting firms and those currently engaged in export activities. Several significant findings are reported and their implications for executive and public policy audiences highlighted, along with suggested future research opportunities and the limitations of the study.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 6 (1997)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Emile Denis & Daniel Depelteau, 1985. "Market Knowledge, Diversification and Export Expansion," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 16(3), pages 77-89, September.
- Swinyard, William R, 1993. " The Effects of Mood, Involvement, and Quality of Store Experience on Shopping Intentions," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 20(2), pages 271-80, September.
- Warren J Bilkey & George Tesar, 1977. "The Export Behavior of Smaller-Sized Wisconsin Manufacturing Firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 8(1), pages 93-98, March.
- Andersen, Otto & Rynning, Marjo-Riitta, 1994. "Prediction of export intentions -- managing with structural characteristics?," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 17-27, March.
- Erwin Dichtl & Hans-Georg Koeglmayr & Stefan Mueller, 1990. "International Orientation as a Precondition for Export Success," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(1), pages 23-40, March.
- Leonidou, Leonidas C., 1995. "Export stimulation research: Review, evaluation and integration," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 133-156, June.
- S Tamer Cavusgil & Shaoming Zou & G M Naidu, 1993. "Product and Promoting Adaptation in Export Ventures: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(3), pages 479-506, September.
- Geir Gripsrud, 1990. "The Determinants of Export Decisions and Attitudes to a Distant Market: Norwegian Fishery Exports to Japan," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(3), pages 469-485, September.
- Finn Wiedersheim-Paul & Hans C Olson & Lawrence S Welch, 1978. "Pre-Export Activity: The First step in Internationalization," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 9(1), pages 47-58, March.
- Naidu, G. M. & Prasad, V. Kanti, 1994. "Predictors of export strategy and performance of small- and medium-sized firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 31(2-3), pages 107-115.
- Belich, Thomas J. & Dubinsky, Alan J., 1995. "Factors related to information acquisition in exporting organizations," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 1-11, May.
- Ramaseshan, B. & Soutar, Geoffrey N., 1996. "Combined effects of incentives and barriers on firms' export decisions," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 53-65, February.
- Stan D Reid, 1981. "The Decision-Maker and Export Entry and Expansion," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 12(2), pages 101-112, June.
- Warren J Bilkey, 1978. "An Attempted Integration of the Literature on the Export Behavior of Firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 9(1), pages 33-46, March.
- Kumcu, Erdogan & Harcar, Talha & Kumcu, M. Ercan, 1995. "Managerial perceptions of the adequacy of export incentive programs : Implications for export-led economic development policy," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 163-174, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:6:y:1997:i:5:p:477-499. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.