Resource-based theory and international growth strategies: an exploratory study
The resource-based approach incorporates traditional strategy insights concerning a firm's distinctive competencies. Furthermore, the resource-based approach also provides value-added theoretical propositions that are testable within the diversification strategy literature. This paper examines to what extent the resource-based theory can be used to predict other growth strategies than diversification. Based on an exploratory study from an export growth strategy context, the resource-based theory seems to be able to identify firms with growth ambitions, and to some degree to predict the intended growth strategy of the firm. The results and measurement problems are discussed.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 7 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Duncan, Jerome L, Jr, 1982. "Impacts of New Entry and Horizontal Joint Ventures on Industrial Rates of Return," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 64(2), pages 339-42, May.
- Henry Kaiser, 1974. "An index of factorial simplicity," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 39(1), pages 31-36, March.
- Ingemar Dierickx & Karel Cool, 1989. "Asset Stock Accumulation and Sustainability of Competitive Advantage," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1504-1511, December.
- Lecraw, Donald J, 1984. "Diversification Strategy and Performance," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(2), pages 179-98, December.
- Bruce Kogut & Udo Zander, 1993. "Knowledge of the Firm and the Evolutionary Theory of the Multinational Corporation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(4), pages 625-645, December.
- Leonidou, Leonidas C., 1995. "Export stimulation research: Review, evaluation and integration," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 133-156, June.
- O'Farrell, Patrick N. & Wood, Peter A., 1994. "International market selection by business service firms: Key conceptual and methodological issues," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 243-261, September.
- Warren J Bilkey, 1978. "An Attempted Integration of the Literature on the Export Behavior of Firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 9(1), pages 33-46, March.
- Otto Andersen, 1993. "On the Internationalization Process of Firms: A Critical Analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(2), pages 209-231, June.
- Robert G Cooper & Elko J Kleinschmidt, 1985. "The Impact of Export Strategy on Export Sales Performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 16(1), pages 37-55, March.
- Foxall, Gordon, 1984. "Evidence for attitudinal-behavioural consistency: Implications for consumer research paradigms," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 71-92, March.
- Andersen, Otto & Rynning, Marjo-Riitta, 1994. "Prediction of export intentions -- managing with structural characteristics?," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 17-27, March.
- S.A. Lippman & R.P. Rumelt, 1982. "Uncertain Imitability: An Analysis of Interfirm Differences in Efficiency under Competition," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 13(2), pages 418-438, Autumn.
- Ingemar Dierickx & Karel Cool, 1989. "Asset Stock Accumulation and the Sustainability of Competitive Advantage: Reply," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1514-1514, December.
- Jay B. Barney, 1986. "Strategic Factor Markets: Expectations, Luck, and Business Strategy," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(10), pages 1231-1241, October.
- Cavusgil, S. Tamer & Naor, Jacob, 1987. "Firm and management characteristics as discriminators of export marketing activity," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 221-235, June.
- Berg, Sanford V & Friedman, Philip, 1981. "Impacts of Domestic Joint Ventures on Industrial Rates of Return: A Pooled Cross-Section Analysis, 1964-1975," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(2), pages 293-98, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:7:y:1998:i:2:p:163-184. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.