Do foreign and domestic firms behave any different during economic slowdowns?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Dunne, Paul & Hughes, Alan, 1994. "Age, Size, Growth and Survival: UK Companies in the 1980s," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 115-140, June.
- Hui-mei Wang & Hengchiang Huang & Pratima Bansal, 2005. "What Determined Success During the Asian Economic Crisis?—The Importance of Experiential Knowledge and Group Affiliation," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 89-106, January.
- Mihir A. Desai & C. Fritz Foley & Kristin J. Forbes, 2004. "Financial Constraints and Growth: Multinational and Local Firm Responses to Currency Crises," NBER Working Papers 10545, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Evans, David S, 1987.
"The Relationship between Firm Growth, Size, and Age: Estimates for 100 Manufacturing Industries,"
Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 567-581, June.
- Evans, David S., 1986. "The Relationship Between Firm Growth, Size, and Age: Estimates for 100 Manufacturing Industries," Working Papers 86-33, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Alvarez, Roberto & Görg, Holger, 2009.
"Multinationals and plant exit: Evidence from Chile,"
International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 45-51, January.
- Alvarez, Roberto & Görg, Holger, 2005. "Multinationals and Plant Exit: Evidence from Chile," IZA Discussion Papers 1611, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- G Tomas M Hult & David J Ketchen & David A Griffith & Brian R Chabowski & Mary K Hamman & Bernadine Johnson Dykes & Wesley A Pollitte & S Tamer Cavusgil, 2008. "An assessment of the measurement of performance in international business research," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 39(6), pages 1064-1080, September.
- Albert Berry & Edgard Rodriguez & Henry Sandee, 2001. "Small And Medium Enterprise Dynamics In Indonesia," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(3), pages 363-384.
- Chris Changwha Chung & Paul W. Beamish, 2005. "The Impact of Institutional Reforms on Characteristics and Survival of Foreign Subsidiaries in Emerging Economies," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 35-62, January.
- Flamm, Kenneth, 1984. "The volatility of offshore investment," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 231-248, December.
- Vicky Bamiatzi & Konstantinos Bozos & Konstantinos Nikolopoulos, 2010. "On the predictability of firm performance via simple time-series and econometric models: evidence from UK SMEs," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(3), pages 279-282, February.
- Sadayuki Takii & Eric Ramstetter, 2005. "Multinational presence and labour productivity differentials in Indonesian manufacturing, 1975-2001," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(2), pages 221-242.
- Guimaraes, Paulo & Figueiredo, Octavio & Woodward, Douglas, 2000. "Agglomeration and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment in Portugal," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 115-135, January.
- René Belderbos & Jianglei Zou, 2007. "On the growth of foreign affiliates: multinational plant networks, joint ventures, and flexibility," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 38(7), pages 1095-1112, December.
- John H Dunning, 1988. "The Eclectic Paradigm of International Production: A Restatement and Some Possible Extensions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 19(1), pages 1-31, March.
- Pfaffermayr, Michael & Bellak, Christian, 2000.
"Why foreign-owned firms are different: A conceptual framework and empirical evidence for Austria,"
HWWA Discussion Papers
115, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Pfaffermayr, Michael & Bellak, Christian, 2000. "Why Foreign-Owned Firms are Different: A Conceptual Framework and Empirical Evidence for Austria," Discussion Paper Series 26372, Hamburg Institute of International Economics.
- Natália Barbosa & Helen Louri, 2005.
"Corporate Performance: Does Ownership Matter? A Comparison of Foreign- and Domestic-Owned Firms in Greece and Portugal,"
Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 27(1), pages 73-102, August.
- Natália Barbosa & Helen Louri, 2003. "Corporate performance: does ownership matter? A comparison of foreign - and domestic - owned firms in Greece and Portugal," NIMA Working Papers 26, Núcleo de Investigação em Microeconomia Aplicada (NIMA), Universidade do Minho.
- Sune Karlsson & Nannan Lundin & Fredrik Sjöholm & Ping He, 2009. "Foreign Firms and Chinese Employment," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(1), pages 178-201, January.
- Natalia Barbosa & Paulo Guimaraes & Douglas Woodward, 2004. "Foreign firm entry in an open economy: the case of Portugal," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(5), pages 465-472.
- McAleese, Dermot & Counahan, Michael, 1979. "'Stickers' or 'Snatchers'? Employment in Multinational Corporations during the Recession," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 41(4), pages 345-358, November.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2003. "FDI in Crisis and Recovery: Lessons from the 1997-98 Asian Crisis," Departmental Working Papers 2003-04, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Hwee Hoon Tan & Hai Hui See, 2004. "Strategic Reorientation and Responses to the Asian Financial Crisis: The Case of the Manufacturing Industry in Singapore," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 21(1_2), pages 189-211, March.
- Dionisius Narjoko & Hal Hill, 2007.
"Winners and Losers during a Deep Economic Crisis: Firm‐level Evidence from Indonesian Manufacturing,"
Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 21(4), pages 343-368, December.
- Dionisius Narjoko & Hal Hill, 2006. "Winners and Losers during a Deep Economic Crisis: Firm-level Evidence from Indonesian Manufacturing," Departmental Working Papers 2006-13, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Ana Tavares, 2002. "Multinational Subsidiary Evolution and Public Policy: Two Tales from the European Periphery," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 195-213, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Golikova Victoria & Kuznetsov Boris, 2016. "The Role of Innovation and Globalization Strategies in Post-Crisis Recovery," HSE Working papers WP BRP 123/EC/2016, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- Anna Ferragina & Fernanda Mazzotta, 2018.
"Firm Employment Resilience and FDI: Evidence from Italy,"
L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 4, pages 523-556.
- FERRAGINA, Anna Maria & MAZZOTTA, Fernanda, 2017. "Firm Employment Resilience and FDI: Evidence from Italy," CELPE Discussion Papers 152, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy.
- Lo Turco, Alessia & Maggioni, Daniela, 2014.
"The micro evolution of trade and turnover in Turkey under the global crisis,"
Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 397-414.
- Alessia LO TURCO & Daniela MAGGIONI, 2012. "The micro evolution of trade and turnover in Turkey under the global crisis," Working Papers 376, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Varum, Celeste & Rocha, Vera Catarina & Valente da Silva, Hélder, 2014. "Economic slowdowns, hazard rates and foreign ownership," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 761-773.
- M. Simona Andreano & Roberto Benedetti & Andrea Mazzitelli & Federica Piersimoni, 2018. "Spatial autocorrelation and clusters in modelling corporate bankruptcy of manufacturing firms," Economia e Politica Industriale: Journal of Industrial and Business Economics, Springer;Associazione Amici di Economia e Politica Industriale, vol. 45(4), pages 475-491, December.
- Adalgiso Amendola & Anna Maria Ferragina & Rosanna Pittiglio & Filippo Reganati, 2012. "Are exporters and multinational firms more resilient over a crisis? First evidence for manufacturing enterprises in Italy," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(3), pages 1914-1926.
- Andrei Trifonov & Alexandr Mikhalchuk & Vladislav Spitsin & Marina Ryzhkova & Lubov Spitsina & Anton Boznyakov, 2017. "Development of Domestic and Foreign Industrial Enterprises in Russia," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 7(2), pages 59-67.
- Michael Moritz & Bastian Stockinger & Merlind Trepesch, 2017.
"Multinational Resilience or Dispensable Jobs? German FDI and Employment in the Czech Republic Around the Great Recession,"
Prague Economic Papers, Prague University of Economics and Business, vol. 2017(3), pages 345-359.
- Eisermann, Merlind & Moritz, Michael & Stockinger, Bastian, 2015. "Multinational resilience or dispensable jobs? : German FDI and employment in the Czech Republic around the Great Recession," IAB Discussion Paper 201509, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Hayoung Park & Taewon Kang & Jeong-Dong Lee, 2019. "R&D Dynamics And Firm Growth: The Importance Of R&D Persistency In The Economic Crisis," International Journal of Innovation Management (ijim), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 23(05), pages 1-24, June.
- Yildiz, Harun Emre & Fey, Carl Felix, 2012. "The liability of foreignness reconsidered: New insights from the alternative research context of transforming economies," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 269-280.
- Bartz, Wiebke & Winkler, Adalbert, 2016. "Flexible or fragile? The growth performance of small and young businesses during the global financial crisis — Evidence from Germany," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 196-215.
- Paula Sarmento & Rosa Forte, 2019. "Does Foreign Presence Induce Host Country Firms’ Exit? The Case of Portugal," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 25(3), pages 323-337, August.
- Bamiatzi, Vassiliki & Cavusgil, Salih Tamer & Jabbour, Liza & Sinkovics, Rudolf R., 2014. "Does business group affiliation help firms achieve superior performance during industrial downturns? An empirical examination," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 195-211.
- FERRAGINA, Anna Maria, 2013.
"The Impact of FDI on Firm Survival and Employment: A Comparative Analysis for Turkey and Italy,"
CELPE Discussion Papers
127, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy.
- Anna Maria Ferragina & Fernanda Mazzotta & Erol Taymaz & Kamil Yilmaz, 2013. "The Impact Of Fdi On Firm Survival And Employment: A Comparative Analysis For Turkey And Italy," ERSA conference papers ersa13p1211, European Regional Science Association.
- Maria Kalogera & Antonios Georgopoulos & Panagiota Boura, 2020. "Is there a link between firms? export activity and economic performance in a Small Open Economy? Evidence from Greece," Proceedings of Business and Management Conferences 10112601, International Institute of Social and Economic Sciences.
- Celeste Varum & Vera Rocha, 2013. "Employment and SMEs during crises," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 9-25, January.
- Verdu, Antonio J. & Gómez-Gras, José María & Martínez-Mateo, Jesús, 2012. "Value creation through production offshore–inshore strategies in a footwear industry cluster: A coevolutionary perspective," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 342-356.
More about this item
KeywordsForeign firms Economic crisis Employment and turnover growth Manufacturing Portugal;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:20:y:2011:i:1:p:48-59. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Haili He). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.