Economies of scale and scope in the Danish hospital sector prior to radical restructuring plans
The Danish hospital sector faces a significant rebuilding program driven by recent regional reform and guidelines for acute admission hospitals. Within the next 5–10 years, the number of public hospitals offering acute admission will be reduced from 35 to approximately 20 larger hospitals. As the administrative data may be biased during the middle of a restructuring process our objective was to analyze whether the configuration of Danish public hospitals was subject to economies of scale and scope prior to the restructuring plans.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tao, Hung-Lin & Yuan, Ming-Ching, 2005. "Optimal scale of a public elementary school with commuting costs--a case study of Taipei county," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 407-416, August.
- Troels Kristensen & Peter Bogetoft & Kjeld Pedersen, 2010. "Potential gains from hospital mergers in Denmark," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 334-345, December.
- Daniel Bilodeau & Pierre-Yves Crémieux & Pierre Ouellette, 2002. "Hospital Technology in a Nonmarket Health Care System," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 68(3), pages 511-529, January.
- Piacenza, Massimiliano & Turati, Gilberto & Vannoni, Davide, 2010. "Restructuring hospital industry to control public health care expenditure: The role of input substitutability," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 881-890, July.
- Anni Ankjær-Jensen & Pernille Rosling & Lone Bilde, 2006. "Variable prospective financing in the Danish hospital sector and the development of a Danish case-mix system," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 259-268, August.
- Jason Sutherland & Colin Preyra, 2006. "A mixture model approach to updating payment weights with an application to ICD-10 implementation," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 349-357, November.
- Miika Linna, 1998. "Measuring hospital cost efficiency with panel data models," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(5), pages 415-427.
- Davis, Karen & Russell, Louise B, 1972. "The Substitution of Hospital Outpatient Care for Inpatient Care," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 54(2), pages 109-120, May.
- Magnussen, Jon & Hagen, Terje P. & Kaarboe, Oddvar M., 2007.
"Centralized or decentralized? A case study of Norwegian hospital reform,"
Social Science & Medicine,
Elsevier, vol. 64(10), pages 2129-2137, May.
- Magnussen, Jon & Hagen, Terje P. & Kaarbøe, Oddvar M., 2006. "Centralized or decentralized? A case study of Norwegian hospital reform," Working Papers in Economics 02/06, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Ahgren, Bengt, 2008. "Is it better to be big?: The reconfiguration of 21st century hospitals: Responses to a hospital merger in Sweden," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 92-99, July.
- Roller, Lars-Hendrik, 1990. "Proper Quadratic Cost Functions with an Application to the Bell System," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(2), pages 202-210, May.
- Manning, Willard G., 1998. "The logged dependent variable, heteroscedasticity, and the retransformation problem," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 283-295, June.
- Hughes, David & McGuire, Alistair, 2003. "Stochastic demand, production responses and hospital costs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 999-1010, November.
- Lynk, William J., 1995. "The creation of economic efficiencies in hospital mergers," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 507-530, December.
- Vassilis H. Aletras, 1999. "A comparison of hospital scale effects in short-run and long-run cost functions," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(6), pages 521-530.
- Kroneman, Madelon & Siegers, Jacques J., 2004. "The effect of hospital bed reduction on the use of beds: A comparative study of 10 European countries," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 59(8), pages 1731-1740, October.
- Preyra, Colin & Pink, George, 2006. "Scale and scope efficiencies through hospital consolidations," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 1049-1068, November.
- Hall, Robert E, 1973. "The Specification of Technology with Several Kinds of Output," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(4), pages 878-892, July-Aug..
- Newhouse, Joseph P., 1994. "Frontier estimation: How useful a tool for health economics?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 317-322, October.
- Kolari, James & Zardkoohi, Asghar, 1990. " Economies of Scale and Scope in Thrift Institutions: The Case of Finnish Cooperative and Savings Banks," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 92(3), pages 437-451.
- Eakin, B Kelly & McMillen, Daniel P & Buono, Mark J, 1990. "Constructing Confidence Intervals Using the Bootstrap: An Application to a Multi-Product Cost Function," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(2), pages 339-344, May.
- Cohen, Jeffrey P. & Morrison Paul, Catherine, 2008. "Agglomeration and Cost Economies for Washington State Hospital Services," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 553-564, November.
- Smet, Mike, 2002. "Cost characteristics of hospitals," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 55(6), pages 895-906, September.
- Vita, Michael G., 1990. "Exploring hospital production relationships with flexible functional forms," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-21, June.
- Tong Li & Robert Rosenman, 2001. "Estimating hospital costs with a generalized Leontief function," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(6), pages 523-538.
- Breyer, Friedrich, 1987. "The specification of a hospital cost function : A comment on the recent literature," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 147-157, June.
- Adam Wagstaff & Guillem Lopez, 1996. "Hospital costs in Catalonia: a stochastic frontier analysis," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(7), pages 471-474. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:hepoli:v:106:y:2012:i:2:p:120-126. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)or ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.