Demand Uncertainty and Hospital Costs: an Application to Portuguese NHS Hospitals
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- C. A. Knox Lovell & Ana Rodríguez-Álvarez & Alan Wall, 2009.
"The effects of stochastic demand and expense preference behaviour on public hospital costs and excess capacity,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(2), pages 227-235.
- Lovell, Knox & Rodríguez-Álvarez, Ana & Wall, Alan, 2007. "The effects of Stochastic Demand and Expense Preference Behaviour on Public Hospital Cost and Excess Capacity," Efficiency Series Papers 2007/06, University of Oviedo, Department of Economics, Oviedo Efficiency Group (OEG).
- Mike Smet, 2007. "Measuring performance in the presence of stochastic demand for hospital services: an analysis of Belgian general care hospitals," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 13-29, February.
- Vitaliano, Donald F., 1987. "On the estimation of hospital cost functions," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 305-318, December.
- Hughes, David & McGuire, Alistair, 2003. "Stochastic demand, production responses and hospital costs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 999-1010, November.
- Duncan, Gregory M, 1990. "The Effect of Probabilistic Demands on the Structure of Cost Functions," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 211-220, September.
- Gaynor, Martin & Anderson, Gerard F., 1995.
"Uncertain demand, the structure of hospital costs, and the cost of empty hospital beds,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 291-317, August.
- Martin Gaynor & Gerard F. Anderson, 1993. "Uncertain Demand, The Structure of Hospital Costs, and the Cost of EmptyHospital Beds," NBER Working Papers 4460, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baker, Laurence C. & Phibbs, Ciaran S. & Guarino, Cassandra & Supina, Dylan & Reynolds, James L., 2004. "Within-year variation in hospital utilization and its implications for hospital costs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 191-211, January.
- Smet, Mike, 2002. "Cost characteristics of hospitals," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 55(6), pages 895-906, September.
- Vita, Michael G., 1990. "Exploring hospital production relationships with flexible functional forms," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-21, June.
- Breyer, Friedrich, 1987. "The specification of a hospital cost function : A comment on the recent literature," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 147-157, June.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
More about this item
Keywordshospitals; demand uncertainty; cost function;
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-07-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2013-07-28 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-EUR-2013-07-28 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-HEA-2013-07-28 (Health Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:por:fepwps:499. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/fepuppt.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.