The effects of stochastic demand and expense preference behaviour on public hospital costs and excess capacity
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Lovell, Knox & Rodríguez-Álvarez, Ana & Wall, Alan, 2007. "The effects of Stochastic Demand and Expense Preference Behaviour on Public Hospital Cost and Excess Capacity," Efficiency Series Papers 2007/06, University of Oviedo, Department of Economics, Oviedo Efficiency Group (OEG).
References listed on IDEAS
- Martin Gaynor & Gerard F. Anderson, 1991. "Hospital Costs and the Cost of Empty Hospital Beds," NBER Working Papers 3872, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carey, Kathleen, 1998. "Stochastic Demand for Hospitals and Optimizing "Excess" Bed Capacity," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 165-187, September.
- R. G. Evans, 1971. "'Behavioural' Cost Functions for Hospitals," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 4(2), pages 198-215, May.
- Mike Smet, 2007. "Measuring performance in the presence of stochastic demand for hospital services: an analysis of Belgian general care hospitals," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 13-29, February.
- Friedman, Bernard & Pauly, Mark, 1981. "Cost Functions for a Service Firm with Variable Quality and Stochastic Demand: The Case of Hospitals," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(4), pages 620-624, November.
- Hughes, David & McGuire, Alistair, 2003. "Stochastic demand, production responses and hospital costs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 999-1010, November.
- Ana Rodríguez-Álvarez & C. A. Knox Lovell, 2004. "Excess capacity and expense preference behaviour in National Health Systems: an application to the Spanish public hospitals," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(2), pages 157-169.
- Duncan, Gregory M, 1990. "The Effect of Probabilistic Demands on the Structure of Cost Functions," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 211-220, September.
- Gaynor, Martin & Anderson, Gerard F., 1995.
"Uncertain demand, the structure of hospital costs, and the cost of empty hospital beds,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 291-317, August.
- Martin Gaynor & Gerard F. Anderson, 1993. "Uncertain Demand, The Structure of Hospital Costs, and the Cost of EmptyHospital Beds," NBER Working Papers 4460, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baker, Laurence C. & Phibbs, Ciaran S. & Guarino, Cassandra & Supina, Dylan & Reynolds, James L., 2004. "Within-year variation in hospital utilization and its implications for hospital costs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 191-211, January.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rodríguez-Álvarez, Ana & Rosete-Rivero, Mayte, 2017.
"Spanish public hospital waiting lists: A theoretical and empirical approach,"
Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal,
Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW), vol. 11, pages 1-21.
- Rodríguez-Álvarez, Ana & Rosete-Rivero, Mayte, 2017. "Spanish public hospital waiting lists: A theoretical and empirical approach," Economics Discussion Papers 2017-25, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Rodríguez-Álvarez, Ana & Roibás, David & Wall, Alan, 2009. "Factors determining the response of hospitals to demand uncertainty," Efficiency Series Papers 2009/04, University of Oviedo, Department of Economics, Oviedo Efficiency Group (OEG).
- Ana Rodríguez-Álvarez & David Roibás-Alonso & Alan Wall, 2013. "The response of decentralized health services to demand uncertainty and the role of political parties in the Spanish public health system," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 357-365, December.
- Alvaro Almeida & Joana Cima, 2013. "Demand Uncertainty and Hospital Costs: an Application to Portuguese NHS Hospitals," FEP Working Papers 499, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Alvaro Almeida & Joana Cima, 2015. "Demand uncertainty and hospital costs: an application to Portuguese public hospitals," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 16(1), pages 35-45, January.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:hlthec:v:18:y:2009:i:2:p:227-235. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley Content Delivery) or (Christopher F. Baum). General contact details of provider: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/5749 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.