On the estimation of hospital cost: the approach
There has been a huge interest during the last decade on modelling hospital cost. Now that there is a fare amount of clarity achieved in estimating cost functions of hospitals, it is time to take stock of the existing methodologies. This article through a brief review of the past studies attempts to bring to light the issues and methodology related to cost estimation in health care provision, keeping in mind the increasing interest towards health insurance in developing countries. These include problems related to output measurement, definition of input prices and definition of cost and its components. The focus of the review is more on the statistical cost functions than on the accounting based cost calculations.
|Date of creation:||18 May 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grannemann, Thomas W. & Brown, Randall S. & Pauly, Mark V., 1986. "Estimating hospital costs : A multiple-output analysis," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 107-127, June.
- Hughes, David & McGuire, Alistair, 2003. "Stochastic demand, production responses and hospital costs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 999-1010, November.
- Gaynor, Martin & Anderson, Gerard F., 1995.
"Uncertain demand, the structure of hospital costs, and the cost of empty hospital beds,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 291-317, August.
- Martin Gaynor & Gerard F. Anderson, 1993. "Uncertain Demand, The Structure of Hospital Costs, and the Cost of EmptyHospital Beds," NBER Working Papers 4460, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Friedman, Bernard & Pauly, Mark, 1981. "Cost Functions for a Service Firm with Variable Quality and Stochastic Demand: The Case of Hospitals," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(4), pages 620-24, November.
- Gertler, Paul J & Waldman, Donald M, 1992. "Quality-Adjusted Cost Functions and Policy Evaluation in the Nursing Home Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(6), pages 1232-56, December.
- Breyer, Friedrich, 1987. "The specification of a hospital cost function : A comment on the recent literature," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 147-157, June.
- Fournier, G.M. & Mitchell. J.M., 1991.
"Hospital Costs and Competition for Services : A Multiproduct Analysis,"
1991_03_6, Department of Economics, Florida State University.
- Fournier, Gary M & Mitchell, Jean M, 1992. "Hospital Costs and Competition for Services: A Multiproduct Analysis," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(4), pages 627-34, November.
- Vitaliano, Donald F., 1987. "On the estimation of hospital cost functions," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 305-318, December.
- Fuss, Melvyn & McFadden, Daniel, 1978. "Production Economics: A Dual Approach to Theory and Applications (II): Applications of the Theory of Production," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, volume 2, number fuss1978a.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:22767. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.