Short-term fluctuations in hospital demand: implications for admission, discharge, and discriminatory behavior
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Friedman, Bernard & Pauly, Mark, 1981. "Cost Functions for a Service Firm with Variable Quality and Stochastic Demand: The Case of Hospitals," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(4), pages 620-624, November.
- Keeler, Theodore E & Ying, John S, 1996.
"Hospital Costs and Excess Bed Capacity: A Statistical Analysis,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 78(3), pages 470-481, August.
- Keeler, Theodore E. & Ying, John S., 1993. "Hospital Costs and Excess Bed Capacity: A Statistical Analysis," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt7cb0d9zc, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Mark McClellan, 1997. "Hospital Reimbursement Incentives: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(1), pages 91-128, March.
- Richard G. Frank & Judith R. Lave, 1989. "A Comparison of Hospital Responses to Reimbursement Policies for Medicaid Psychiatric Patients," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 20(4), pages 588-600, Winter.
- Shamena Anwar & Hanming Fang, 2006.
"An Alternative Test of Racial Prejudice in Motor Vehicle Searches: Theory and Evidence,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 96(1), pages 127-151, March.
- Shamena Anwar & Hanming Fang, 2004. "An Alternative Test of Racial Prejudice in Motor Vehicle Searches: Theory and Evidence," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1464, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Shamena Anwar & Hanming Fang, 2005. "An Alternative Test of Racial Prejudice in Motor Vehicle Searches: Theory and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 11264, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey E. Harris, 1977. "The Internal Organization of Hospitals: Some Economic Implications," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 8(2), pages 467-482, Autumn.
- Paul L. Joskow, 1980.
"The Effects of Competition and Regulation on Hospital Bed Supply and the Reservation Quality of the Hospital,"
Bell Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 11(2), pages 421-447, Autumn.
- Y. Joskow, 1979. "The Effects of Competition and Regulation on Hospital Bed Supply and the Reservation Quality of the Hospital," Working papers 244, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Balsa, Ana I. & McGuire, Thomas G., 2003. "Prejudice, clinical uncertainty and stereotyping as sources of health disparities," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 89-116, January.
- Carey, Kathleen, 1998. "Stochastic Demand for Hospitals and Optimizing "Excess" Bed Capacity," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 165-187, September.
- Dor, Avi & Farley, Dean E., 1996. "Payment source and the cost of hospital care: Evidence from a multiproduct cost function with multiple payers," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 1-21, February.
- Gaynor, Martin & Anderson, Gerard F., 1995.
"Uncertain demand, the structure of hospital costs, and the cost of empty hospital beds,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 291-317, August.
- Martin Gaynor & Gerard F. Anderson, 1993. "Uncertain Demand, The Structure of Hospital Costs, and the Cost of EmptyHospital Beds," NBER Working Papers 4460, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Balsa, Ana I. & McGuire, Thomas G., 2001. "Statistical discrimination in health care," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 881-907, November.
- Evans, William N. & Kim, Beomsoo, 2006. "Patient outcomes when hospitals experience a surge in admissions," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 365-388, March.
- Baker, Laurence C. & Phibbs, Ciaran S. & Guarino, Cassandra & Supina, Dylan & Reynolds, James L., 2004. "Within-year variation in hospital utilization and its implications for hospital costs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 191-211, January.
- Emre Berk & Kamran Moinzadeh, 1998. "The Impact of Discharge Decisions on Health Care Quality," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(3), pages 400-415, March.
- Gal-Or, Esther, 1994. "Excessive Investment in Hospital Capacities," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(1), pages 53-70, Spring.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alejandro Arrieta & Ariadna García-Prado, 2012. "Non-elective cesarean sections in public hospitals: hospital capacity constraints and doctor´s incentives," Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra 1212, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:randje:v:39:y:2008:i:2:p:586-606. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/randdus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.