Estimation of a physician practice cost function
This is the first study to specify a physician practice cost function with practice costs as the unit of analysis. Our study is based on the data of 3,706 physician practices for the years 2006 to 2008. We propose a model using physician practices as the unit of observation and considering the endogenous character of physician input. In doing so, we apply a translog functional form and include a comprehensive set of variables that have not been previously used in this context. A system of four equations using three-stage least squares is estimated. We find that a higher degree of specialisation and participation in disease management programs and gatekeeper models leads to a decrease in costs, whereas quality certification increases costs. Costs increase with the number of physicians, most likely because of the existence of indivisibilities of expensive technical equipment. Smaller practices might not reach the critical mass to invest in certain technologies, which leads to differences in the type of health care services provided by different practice types.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.hche.eu/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Escarce, Jose J. & Pauly, Mark V., 1998. "Physician opportunity costs in physician practice cost functions," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 129-151, April.
- Griffin, Ronald C. & Montgomery, John M. & Rister, M. Edward, 1987. "Selecting Functional Form In Production Function Analysis," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 12(02), December.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1997.
"Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 557-586, May.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1994. "Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments," NBER Technical Working Papers 0151, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yasar Ozcan, 1998. "Physician benchmarking: measuring variation in practice behavior in treatment of otitis media," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 5-17, September.
- Gaynor, Martin & Pauly, Mark V, 1990. "Compensation and Productive Efficiency of Partnerships: Evidence from Medical Group Practice," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(3), pages 544-73, June.
- Auquier, Antoine A, 1980. "Sizes of Firms, Exporting Behavior, and the Structure of French Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(2), pages 203-18, December.
- Medhi Farsi & Massimo Filippini, 2006.
"Effects of ownership, subsidization and teaching activities on hospital costs in Switzerland,"
Quaderni della facoltà di Scienze economiche dell'Università di Lugano
0606, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini, 2008. "Effects of ownership, subsidization and teaching activities on hospital costs in Switzerland," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(3), pages 335-350.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Jorgenson, Dale W & Lau, Lawrence J, 1973. "Transcendental Logarithmic Production Frontiers," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 55(1), pages 28-45, February.
- Julia Bonastre & Marc Le Vaillant & Gerard De Pouvourville, 2011. "The impact of research on hospital costs of care: an empirical study," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(1), pages 73-84, January.
- Timothy Gunning & Robin Sickles, 2011. "A multi-product cost function for physician private practices," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 119-128, April.
- Frech, H E, III & Ginsburg, Paul B, 1974. "Optimal Scale in Medical Practice: A Survivor Analysis," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(1), pages 23-36, January.
- Richard Grieve & John Cairns & Simon G. Thompson, 2010. "Improving costing methods in multicentre economic evaluation: the use of multiple imputation for unit costs," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(8), pages 939-954, August.
- David K. Blough & Scott Ramsey & Sean D. Sullivan & Roger Yusen, 2009. "The impact of using different imputation methods for missing quality of life scores on the estimation of the cost-effectiveness of lung-volume-reduction surgery," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 91-101.
- Norman K Thurston & Anne M. Libby, 2002. "A Production Function For Physician Services Revisited," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(1), pages 184-191, February.
- Silvio Daidone & Francesco D'Amico, 2009.
"Technical Efficiency, Specialization and Ownership Form: Evidences from a Pooling of Italian Hospitals,"
CEIS Research Paper
143, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 30 Sep 2009.
- Silvio Daidone & Francesco D’Amico, 2009. "Technical efficiency, specialization and ownership form: evidences from a pooling of Italian hospitals," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 203-216, December.
- You, Jong-Il, 1995. "Small Firms in Economic Theory," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(3), pages 441-62, June.
- Marder, William D. & Zuckerman, Stephen, 1985. "Competition and medical groups : A survivor analysis," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 167-176, June.
- Robert Rosenman & Daniel Friesner, 2004. "Scope and scale inefficiencies in physician practices," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(11), pages 1091-1116.
- Lee, Kwang-soo & Chun, Ki-hong & Lee, Jung-soo, 2008. "Reforming the hospital service structure to improve efficiency: Urban hospital specialization," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 41-49, July.
- Vita, Michael G., 1990. "Exploring hospital production relationships with flexible functional forms," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-21, June.
- Lisa C. DeFelice & W. David Bradford, 1997. "Relative inefficiencies in production between solo and group practice physicians," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(5), pages 455-465.
- Jonas Schreyögg & Tom Stargardt & Oliver Tiemann & Reinhard Busse, 2006. "Methods to determine reimbursement rates for diagnosis related groups (DRG): A comparison of nine European countries," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 215-223, August.
- Pope, Gregory C. & Burge, Russel T., 1995. "The marginal practice cost of physicians' services," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 1-16, March.
- Reinhard Busse & Jonas Schreyögg & Peter Smith, 2006. "Editorial: Hospital case payment systems in Europe," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 211-213, August.
- James W. Hardin, 2002. "The robust variance estimator for two-stage models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 2(3), pages 253-266, August.
- Wagner, Todd H. & Hu, Teh-wei & Hibbard, Judith H., 2001. "The demand for consumer health information," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 1059-1075, November.
- Anne, Hvenegaard & Nielsen Arendt, Jacob & Gyrd-Hansen, Dorte & Street, Andrew, 2010.
"Exploring the relationship between costs and quality - Does the joint evaluation of costs and quality alter the ranking of Danish hospital departments?,"
COHERE Working Paper
2009:6, COHERE - Centre of Health Economics Research, University of Southern Denmark.
- Anne Hvenegaard & Jacob Arendt & Andrew Street & Dorte Gyrd-Hansen, 2011. "Exploring the relationship between costs and quality: Does the joint evaluation of costs and quality alter the ranking of Danish hospital departments?," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 12(6), pages 541-551, December.
- Diewert, W E, 1971. "An Application of the Shephard Duality Theorem: A Generalized Leontief Production Function," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(3), pages 481-507, May-June.
- Tong Li & Robert Rosenman, 2001. "Estimating hospital costs with a generalized Leontief function," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(6), pages 523-538.
- Daniel Bilodeau & Pierre-Yves Crémieux & Pierre Ouellette, 2000. "Hospital Cost Function In A Non-Market Health Care System," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(3), pages 489-498, August.
- Kathleen Carey & James F. Burgess, 1999. "On measuring the hospital cost|quality trade-off," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(6), pages 509-520.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:hcherp:201307. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.