A multi-sector intertemporal optimization approach to assess the GHG implications of U.S. forest and agricultural biomass electricity expansion
This study applies an intertemporal partial equilibrium model of the U.S. Forest and Agricultural sectors to assess the market, land use, and greenhouse gas (GHG) implications of biomass electricity expansion. Results show how intertemporal optimization procedures can yield different biomass feedstock portfolios and GHG performance metrics at different points in time. We examine the implications of restricting feedstock eligibility, land use change, and commodity substitution to put our results in the context of previous forest-only modeling efforts. Our results highlight the importance of dynamic considerations and forest and agricultural sector interactions on projecting the GHG effects of biomass electricity expansion in the U.S.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 19 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/701775/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/701775/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Moiseyev, Alexander & Solberg, Birger & Kallio, A. Maarit I. & Lindner, Marcus, 2011. "An economic analysis of the potential contribution of forest biomass to the EU RES target and its implications for the EU forest industries," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 197-213, April.
- Kallio, A. Maarit I. & Anttila, Perttu & McCormick, Megan & Asikainen, Antti, 2011. "Are the Finnish targets for the energy use of forest chips realistic--Assessment with a spatial market model," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 110-126, April.
- Palmer, Karen & Paul, Anthony & Woerman, Matt & Steinberg, Daniel C., 2011.
"Federal policies for renewable electricity: Impacts and interactions,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(7), pages 3975-3991, July.
- Palmer, Karen & Paul, Anthony & Woerman, Matt, 2011. "Federal Policies for Renewable Electricity: Impacts and Interactions," Discussion Papers dp-10-53, Resources For the Future.
- Kretschmer, Bettina & Peterson, Sonja, 2008.
"Integrating bioenergy into computable general equilibrium models: a survey,"
Kiel Working Papers
1473, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Kretschmer, Bettina & Peterson, Sonja, 2010. "Integrating bioenergy into computable general equilibrium models -- A survey," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 673-686, May.
- Bettina Kretschmer & Sonja Peterson, 2008. "Integrating Bioenergy into Computable General Equilibrium Models – A Survey," Kiel Working Papers 1473, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Ince, Peter J. & Kramp, Andrew D. & Skog, Kenneth E. & Yoo, Do-il & Sample, V. Alaric, 2011. "Modeling future U.S. forest sector market and trade impacts of expansion in wood energy consumption," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 142-156, April.
- Ian Hardie & Peter Parks & Peter Gottleib & David Wear, 2000. "Responsiveness of Rural and Urban Land Uses to Land Rent Determinants in the U.S. South," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 76(4), pages 659-673.
- Brown, Marilyn A. & Baek, Youngsun, 2010. "The forest products industry at an energy/climate crossroads," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(12), pages 7665-7675, December.
- Lecocq, Franck & Caurla, Sylvain & Delacote, Philippe & Barkaoui, Ahmed & Sauquet, Alexandre, 2011.
"Paying for forest carbon or stimulating fuelwood demand? Insights from the French Forest Sector Model,"
Journal of Forest Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 157-168, April.
- Alexandre Sauquet & Ahmed Barkaoui & Sylvain Caurla & Philippe Delacote & Franck Lecocq, 2011. "Paying for forest carbon or stimulating fuel wood demand? Insights from the French Forest Sector Model," Post-Print halshs-00602112, HAL.
- Soimakallio, S. & Mäkinen, T. & Ekholm, T. & Pahkala, K. & Mikkola, H. & Paappanen, T., 2009. "Greenhouse gas balances of transportation biofuels, electricity and heat generation in Finland--Dealing with the uncertainties," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 80-90, January.
- Baker, Justin Scott & McCarl, Bruce A. & Murray, Brian C. & Rose, Steven K. & Alig, Ralph J. & Adams, Darius M. & Latta, Gregory S. & Beach, Robert H. & Daigneault, Adam J., 2010. "Net Farm Income and Land Use under a U.S. Greenhouse Gas Cap and Trade," Policy Issues 93683, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Song, Feng & Zhao, Jinhua & Swinton, Scott M., 2009.
"Switching to Perennial Energy Crops under Uncertainty and Costly Reversibility,"
56195, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Feng Song & Jinhua Zhao & Scott M. Swinton, 2011. "Switching to Perennial Energy Crops Under Uncertainty and Costly Reversibility," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 93(3), pages 764-779.
- Buongiorno, Joseph & Raunikar, Ronald & Zhu, Shushuai, 2011. "Consequences of increasing bioenergy demand on wood and forests: An application of the Global Forest Products Model," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 214-229, April.
- Latta, Gregory & Adams, Darius M. & Alig, Ralph J. & White, Eric, 2011. "Simulated effects of mandatory versus voluntary participation in private forest carbon offset markets in the United States," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 127-141, April.
- Touš, Michal & Pavlas, Martin & Stehlík, Petr & Popela, Pavel, 2011. "Effective biomass integration into existing combustion plant," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 4654-4662.
- Lauri, Pekka & Kallio, A. Maarit I. & Schneider, Uwe A., 2012. "Price of CO2 emissions and use of wood in Europe," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(C), pages 123-131.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:foreco:v:19:y:2013:i:4:p:361-383. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.