Stocks and energy shocks: The impact of energy accidents on stock market value
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1985. "Using daily stock returns : The case of event studies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-31, March.
- Blacconiere, Walter G. & Patten, Dennis M., 1994. "Environmental disclosures, regulatory costs, and changes in firm value," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 357-377, November.
- Hill, Joanne & Schneeweis, Thomas, 1983. "The Effect of Three Mile Island on Electric Utility Stock Prices: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(4), pages 1285-1292, September.
- Boyer, M. Martin & Filion, Didier, 2007.
"Common and fundamental factors in stock returns of Canadian oil and gas companies,"
Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 428-453, May.
- M. Martin Boyer & Didier Filion, 2004. "Common and Fundamental Factors in Stock Returns of Canadian Oil and Gas Companies," CIRANO Working Papers 2004s-62, CIRANO.
- Burgherr, Peter & Hirschberg, Stefan, 2008. "Severe accident risks in fossil energy chains: A comparative analysis," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 538-553.
- Bezdek, Roger H., 1993. "The environmental, health, and safety implications of solar energy in central station power production," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 681-685.
- Zeckhauser, Richard J, 1996. "The Economics of Catastrophes," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 12(2-3), pages 113-140, May.
- Felder, Frank A., 2009. "A critical assessment of energy accident studies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5744-5751, December.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Lin, Wensheng & Zhang, Na & Gu, Anzhong, 2010. "LNG (liquefied natural gas): A necessary part in China's future energy infrastructure," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 4383-4391.
- Carazas, F.G. & Souza, G.F.M., 2010. "Risk-based decision making method for maintenance policy selection of thermal power plant equipment," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 964-975.
- Bert Scholtens & Lei Wang, 2008. "Oil Risk in Oil Stocks," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 89-112.
- Woo, Tae-Ho & Lee, Un-Chul, 2010. "Safety assessment for the passive system of the nuclear power plants (NPPs) using safety margin estimation," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 1799-1804.
- Zhou, Sheng & Zhang, Xiliang, 2010. "Nuclear energy development in China: A study of opportunities and challenges," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 4282-4288.
- Mabel, M. Carolin & Raj, R. Edwin & Fernandez, E., 2010. "Adequacy evaluation of wind power generation systems," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 5217-5222.
- Oberndorfer, Ulrich, 2009. "Energy prices, volatility, and the stock market: Evidence from the Eurozone," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5787-5795, December.
- A. Craig MacKinlay, 1997. "Event Studies in Economics and Finance," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 13-39, March.
- Delzeit, R. & Holm-Müller, K., 2009. "Steps to discern sustainability criteria for a certification scheme of bioethanol in Brazil: Approach and difficulties," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 662-668.
- Sovacool, Benjamin K., 2008. "The costs of failure: A preliminary assessment of major energy accidents, 1907-2007," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 1802-1820, May.
- Lonergan, Stephen C. & Goble, Robert L. & Cororaton, Caesar, 1990. "Estimating the financial consequences of a severe nuclear accident in Canada," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 507-522.
- Szklo, Alexandre & Schaeffer, Roberto, 2007. "Fuel specification, energy consumption and CO2 emission in oil refineries," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1075-1092.
- Matthew Kahn, 2007. "Environmental disasters as risk regulation catalysts? The role of Bhopal, Chernobyl, Exxon Valdez, Love Canal, and Three Mile Island in shaping U.S. environmental law," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 17-43, August.
- Gerboni, R. & Salvador, E., 2009. "Hydrogen transportation systems: Elements of risk analysis," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2223-2229.
- Yang, Zhao & Xiong, Zhuang & Shao, Min, 2010. "A new method of leak location for the natural gas pipeline based on wavelet analysis," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 3814-3820.
- Bambace, L.A.W. & Ramos, F.M. & Lima, I.B.T. & Rosa, R.R., 2007. "Mitigation and recovery of methane emissions from tropical hydroelectric dams," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1038-1046.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Corbet, Shaen & Larkin, Charles & McMullan, Caroline, 2020. "The impact of industrial incidents on stock market volatility," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 52(C).
- Burgherr, Peter & Eckle, Petrissa & Hirschberg, Stefan, 2012. "Comparative assessment of severe accident risks in the coal, oil and natural gas chains," Reliability Engineering and System Safety, Elsevier, vol. 105(C), pages 97-103.
- Zhang, Chuanguo & Chen, Xiaoqing, 2011. "The impact of global oil price shocks on China’s stock returns: Evidence from the ARJI(-ht)-EGARCH model," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 6627-6633.
- Solaymani, Saeed & Kari, Fatimah, 2013. "Environmental and economic effects of high petroleum prices on transport sector," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 60(C), pages 435-441.
- Botelho, Tatiana & Magrini, Alessandra & Schaeffer, Roberto, 2014. "Plumbing the depths: Utilizing O&G reserve profiles to develop forward-looking risk assessments for exploration and production activities," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 69(C), pages 489-500.
- Ahmadi, Maryam & Manera, Matteo & Sadeghzadeh, Mehdi, 2016.
"Global oil market and the U.S. stock returns,"
Energy, Elsevier, vol. 114(C), pages 1277-1287.
- Maryam Ahmad & Matteo Manera & Mehdi Sadeghzadeh, 2015. "Global Oil Market and the U.S. Stock Returns," Working Papers 2015.91, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Ahmadi, Maryam & Manera, Matteo & Sadeghzadeh, Mehdi, 2016. "Global Oil Market and the U.S. Stock Returns," Energy: Resources and Markets 230599, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei (FEEM).
- Schaeffer, Roberto & Borba, Bruno S.M.C. & Rathmann, Régis & Szklo, Alexandre & Castelo Branco, David A., 2012. "Dow Jones sustainability index transmission to oil stock market returns: A GARCH approach," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 933-943.
- Mnasri, Ayman & Nechi, Salem, 2016. "Impact of terrorist attacks on stock market volatility in emerging markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 184-202.
- Liu, Jiming & Shi, Benyun, 2012. "Towards understanding the robustness of energy distribution networks based on macroscopic and microscopic evaluations," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 318-327.
- Rehman, Mobeen Ur, 2019. "Energy shocks pricing model: A non-linear US sectoral based analysis," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 535(C).
- Abid, Ilyes & Guesmi, Khaled & Goutte, Stéphane & Urom, Christian & Chevallier, Julien, 2019.
"Commodities risk premia and regional integration in gas-exporting countries,"
Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(C), pages 267-276.
- Ilyes Abid & Khaled Guesmi & Stéphane Goutte & Christian Urom & Julien Chevallier, 2019. "Commodities risk premia and regional integration in gas-exporting countries," Post-Print halshs-02148921, HAL.
- Sovacool, Benjamin K. & Kryman, Matthew & Laine, Emily, 2015. "Profiling technological failure and disaster in the energy sector: A comparative analysis of historical energy accidents," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 90(P2), pages 2016-2027.
- Spada, Matteo & Paraschiv, Florentina & Burgherr, Peter, 2018. "A comparison of risk measures for accidents in the energy sector and their implications on decision-making strategies," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 154(C), pages 277-288.
- Sandrine Boulerne & Jean-Philippe Lafontaine & Bruno Pecchioli, 2016. "Fukushima, quel impact sur les entreprises françaises cotées de la filière de production d'électricité d'origine nucléaire ?," Post-Print hal-01902423, HAL.
- Kolodziej, Marek & Kaufmann, Robert K. & Kulatilaka, Nalin & Bicchetti, David & Maystre, Nicolas, 2014. "Crude oil: Commodity or financial asset?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(C), pages 216-223.
- Reboredo, Juan C. & Wen, Xiaoqian, 2015. "Are China’s new energy stock prices driven by new energy policies?," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 624-636.
- Corbet, Shaen & Larkin, Charles & McMullan, Caroline, 2018. "Chemical industry disasters and the sectoral transmission of financial market contagion," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 46(C), pages 490-501.
More about this item
KeywordsEnergy accidents; Externalities; Stock market; Event study;
- D62 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Externalities
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- Q40 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - General
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:energy:v:36:y:2011:i:3:p:1698-1702. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Haili He). General contact details of provider: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/energy .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.