Stocks and energy shocks: The impact of energy accidents on stock market value
We investigate how financial market participants value energy accidents. We employ an event study to look into the response of stock markets to 209 accidents. These accidents were derived from Sovacool’s (2008) database on major energy accidents from 1907 to 2007. It appears that the stock market in general does not show a significant reaction with respect to these accidents. This would suggest that financial market participants perceive energy accidents as being ‘part of the game’ and discount for most energy accidents already in the valuation of the energy industry.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oberndorfer, Ulrich, 2009. "Energy prices, volatility, and the stock market: Evidence from the Eurozone," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5787-5795, December.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Gerboni, R. & Salvador, E., 2009. "Hydrogen transportation systems: Elements of risk analysis," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2223-2229.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1985. "Using daily stock returns : The case of event studies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-31, March.
- Bambace, L.A.W. & Ramos, F.M. & Lima, I.B.T. & Rosa, R.R., 2007. "Mitigation and recovery of methane emissions from tropical hydroelectric dams," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1038-1046.
- Sovacool, Benjamin K., 2008. "The costs of failure: A preliminary assessment of major energy accidents, 1907-2007," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 1802-1820, May.
- A. Craig MacKinlay, 1997. "Event Studies in Economics and Finance," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 13-39, March.
- M. Martin Boyer & Didier Filion, 2004.
"Common and Fundamental Factors in Stock Returns of Canadian Oil and Gas Companies,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Boyer, M. Martin & Filion, Didier, 2007. "Common and fundamental factors in stock returns of Canadian oil and gas companies," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 428-453, May.
- Lonergan, Stephen C. & Goble, Robert L. & Cororaton, Caesar, 1990. "Estimating the financial consequences of a severe nuclear accident in Canada," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 507-522.
- Matthew Kahn, 2007. "Environmental disasters as risk regulation catalysts? The role of Bhopal, Chernobyl, Exxon Valdez, Love Canal, and Three Mile Island in shaping U.S. environmental law," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 17-43, August.
- Bezdek, Roger H., 1993. "The environmental, health, and safety implications of solar energy in central station power production," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 681-685.
- Yang, Zhao & Xiong, Zhuang & Shao, Min, 2010. "A new method of leak location for the natural gas pipeline based on wavelet analysis," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 3814-3820.
- Woo, Tae-Ho & Lee, Un-Chul, 2010. "Safety assessment for the passive system of the nuclear power plants (NPPs) using safety margin estimation," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 1799-1804.
- Mabel, M. Carolin & Raj, R. Edwin & Fernandez, E., 2010. "Adequacy evaluation of wind power generation systems," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 5217-5222.
- Delzeit, R. & Holm-Müller, K., 2009. "Steps to discern sustainability criteria for a certification scheme of bioethanol in Brazil: Approach and difficulties," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 662-668.
- Zhou, Sheng & Zhang, Xiliang, 2010. "Nuclear energy development in China: A study of opportunities and challenges," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 4282-4288.
- Blacconiere, Walter G. & Patten, Dennis M., 1994. "Environmental disclosures, regulatory costs, and changes in firm value," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 357-377, November.
- Felder, Frank A., 2009. "A critical assessment of energy accident studies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5744-5751, December.
- Bert Scholtens & Lei Wang, 2008. "Oil Risk in Oil Stocks," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 89-112.
- Carazas, F.G. & Souza, G.F.M., 2010. "Risk-based decision making method for maintenance policy selection of thermal power plant equipment," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 964-975.
- Hill, Joanne & Schneeweis, Thomas, 1983. " The Effect of Three Mile Island on Electric Utility Stock Prices: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(4), pages 1285-92, September.
- Lin, Wensheng & Zhang, Na & Gu, Anzhong, 2010. "LNG (liquefied natural gas): A necessary part in China's future energy infrastructure," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 4383-4391.
- Burgherr, Peter & Hirschberg, Stefan, 2008. "Severe accident risks in fossil energy chains: A comparative analysis," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 538-553.
- Szklo, Alexandre & Schaeffer, Roberto, 2007. "Fuel specification, energy consumption and CO2 emission in oil refineries," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1075-1092.
- Zeckhauser, Richard J, 1996. "The Economics of Catastrophes," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 12(2-3), pages 113-40, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:energy:v:36:y:2011:i:3:p:1698-1702. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.