Valuing a gas-fired power plant: A comparison of ordinary linear models, regime-switching approaches, and models with stochastic volatility
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Fleten, Stein-Erik & Lemming, Jacob, 2003. "Constructing forward price curves in electricity markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 409-424, September.
- Guthrie, Graeme & Videbeck, Steen, 2007. "Electricity spot price dynamics: Beyond financial models," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 5614-5621, November.
- Robert Wilson, 2002. "Architecture of Power Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1299-1340, July.
- Mount, Timothy D. & Ning, Yumei & Cai, Xiaobin, 2006. "Predicting price spikes in electricity markets using a regime-switching model with time-varying parameters," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 62-80, January.
- Cartea, Álvaro & Williams, Thomas, 2008.
"UK gas markets: The market price of risk and applications to multiple interruptible supply contracts,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 829-846, May.
- Alvaro Cartea & Thomas Williams, 2006. "UK Gas Markets: the Market Price of Risk and Applications to Multiple Interruptible Supply Contracts," Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance 0608, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Aiube, Fernando Antonio Lucena & Baidya, Tara Keshar Nanda & Tito, Edison Americo Huarsaya, 2008. "Analysis of commodity prices with the particle filter," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 597-605, March.
- Jean-Thomas Bernard & Lynda Khalaf & Maral Kichian & Sebastien Mcmahon, 2008.
"Forecasting commodity prices: GARCH, jumps, and mean reversion,"
Journal of Forecasting,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(4), pages 279-291.
- Jean-Thomas Bernard & Lynda Khalaf & Maral Kichian & Sebastien McMahon, 2006. "Forecasting Commodity Prices: GARCH, Jumps, and Mean Reversion," Staff Working Papers 06-14, Bank of Canada.
- Eduardo Schwartz & James E. Smith, 2000. "Short-Term Variations and Long-Term Dynamics in Commodity Prices," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(7), pages 893-911, July.
- Green, Richard J & Newbery, David M, 1992.
"Competition in the British Electricity Spot Market,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(5), pages 929-953, October.
- Green, Richard & Newbery, David M G, 1991. "Competition in the British Electricity Spot Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 557, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Green, Richard, 1999. "The Electricity Contract Market in England and Wales," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 107-124, March.
- Robert S. Pindyck, 1999. "The Long-Run Evolutions of Energy Prices," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 1-27.
- David G. Laughton & Henry D. Jacoby, 1993. "Reversion, Timing Options, and Long-Term Decision-Making," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 22(3), Fall.
- Green, Richard J, 1996. "Increasing Competition in the British Electricity Spot Market," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 205-216, June.
- Catherine D. Wolfram, 1999. "Measuring Duopoly Power in the British Electricity Spot Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(4), pages 805-826, September.
- Green, Richard, 2006. "Market power mitigation in the UK power market," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 76-89, June.
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A., 1976. "The valuation of options for alternative stochastic processes," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 145-166.
- Klemperer, Paul D & Meyer, Margaret A, 1989. "Supply Function Equilibria in Oligopoly under Uncertainty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1243-1277, November.
- Bolle, Friedel, 1992. "Supply function equilibria and the danger of tacit collusion : The case of spot markets for electricity," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 94-102, April.
- Nasakkala, Erkka & Fleten, Stein-Erik, 2005.
"Flexibility and technology choice in gas fired power plant investments,"
Review of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 14(3-4), pages 371-393.
- Erkka Näsäkkälä & Stein- Erik Fleten, 2004. "Flexibility and Technology Choice in Gas Fired Power Plant Investments," Others 0405004, EconWPA, revised 06 Apr 2006.
- Azadeh, A. & Ghaderi, S.F. & Sohrabkhani, S., 2008. "A simulated-based neural network algorithm for forecasting electrical energy consumption in Iran," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 2637-2644, July.
- Kosater, Peter & Mosler, Karl, 2006.
"Can Markov regime-switching models improve power-price forecasts? Evidence from German daily power prices,"
Elsevier, vol. 83(9), pages 943-958, September.
- Kosater, Peter & Mosler, Karl, 2005. "Can Markov-regime switching models improve power price forecasts? Evidence for German daily power prices," Discussion Papers in Econometrics and Statistics 1/05, University of Cologne, Institute of Econometrics and Statistics.
- Karakatsani, Nektaria V. & Bunn, Derek W., 2008. "Intra-day and regime-switching dynamics in electricity price formation," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1776-1797, July.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carpaneto, Enrico & Chicco, Gianfranco & Mancarella, Pierluigi & Russo, Angela, 2011. "Cogeneration planning under uncertainty: Part I: Multiple time frame approach," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(4), pages 1059-1067, April.
- Hall, Lisa M.H. & Buckley, Alastair R., 2016. "A review of energy systems models in the UK: Prevalent usage and categorisation," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 169(C), pages 607-628.
- Weron, Rafał, 2014.
"Electricity price forecasting: A review of the state-of-the-art with a look into the future,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1030-1081.
- Rafal Weron, 2014. "Electricity price forecasting: A review of the state-of-the-art with a look into the future," HSC Research Reports HSC/14/07, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology.
- Palzer, Andreas & Westner, Günther & Madlener, Reinhard, 2013.
"Evaluation of different hedging strategies for commodity price risks of industrial cogeneration plants,"
Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 143-160.
- Palzer, Andreas & Westner, Günther & Madlener, Reinhard, 2012. "Evaluation of Different Hedging Strategies for Commodity Price Risks of Industrial Cogeneration Plants," FCN Working Papers 2/2012, E.ON Energy Research Center, Future Energy Consumer Needs and Behavior (FCN), revised Mar 2013.
- Elias, R.S. & Wahab, M.I.M. & Fang, L., 2016. "The spark spread and clean spark spread option based valuation of a power plant with multiple turbines," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 314-327.
- Janczura, Joanna & Weron, Rafal, 2010.
"An empirical comparison of alternate regime-switching models for electricity spot prices,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 1059-1073, September.
- Janczura, Joanna & Weron, Rafal, 2010. "An empirical comparison of alternate regime-switching models or electricity spot prices," MPRA Paper 20546, University Library of Munich, Germany.
More about this item
KeywordsEnergy spot prices Hamilton filter Markov regime switching Stochastic volatility Variogram;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:eneeco:v:32:y:2010:i:3:p:709-725. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eneco .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.