Competition and Competition Policy in the Austrian Electricity Market. A Critical Review Four Years after Market Liberalisation
Electricity market liberalisation introduced in Austria four years ago initially brought the expected price reductions for both small and large users of electricity – but not more competition. Due to unresolved homemade structural problems, liberalisation has left incumbent electricity suppliers largely unchallenged in their comfortable position as local monopolists. Mergers of public utilities together with existing cross-shareholdings have contributed to a substantial increase of the market power of incumbents, thereby putting the economic benefits from market liberalisation seriously at risk. A programme to stimulate competition is recommended to accelerate the long-delayed legal "unbundling" and institute a thorough review of the strategic alliances in the Austrian electricity sector.
Volume (Year): 10 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Arsenal Object 20, A-1030 Wien|
Phone: (+43 1) 798 26 01-0
Fax: (+43 1) 798 93 86
Web page: http://www.wifo.ac.at/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Justus Haucap & Jörn Kruse, 2004. "Verdrängungspreise auf Telekommunikationsmärkten?," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 5(3), pages 337-361, 08.
- Green, Richard J, 1996. "Increasing Competition in the British Electricity Spot Market," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 205-216, June.
- Hall, Robert E, 1988.
"The Relation between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(5), pages 921-947, October.
- Robert E. Hall, 1986. "The Relation Between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry," NBER Working Papers 1785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bolle, Friedel, 1992. "Supply function equilibria and the danger of tacit collusion : The case of spot markets for electricity," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 94-102, April.
- Green, Richard J & Newbery, David M, 1992. "Competition in the British Electricity Spot Market," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(5), pages 929-953, October.
- Green, Richard & Newbery, David M G, 1991. "Competition in the British Electricity Spot Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 557, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Klemperer, Paul D & Meyer, Margaret A, 1989. "Supply Function Equilibria in Oligopoly under Uncertainty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1243-1277, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wfo:wquart:y:2005:i:4:p:150-167. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilse Schulz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.