Evaluation of different hedging strategies for commodity price risks of industrial cogeneration plants
In this paper, we design and evaluate eight different strategies for hedging commodity price risks of industrial cogeneration plants. Price developments are parameterized based on EEX data from 2008 to 2011. The probability distributions derived are used to determine the value-at-risk (VaR) of the individual strategies, which are in a final step combined in a mean-variance portfolio analysis for determining the most efficient hedging strategy. We find that the strategy adopted can have a marked influence on the remaining price risk. Quarter futures are found to be particularly well suited for reducing market price risk. In contrast, spot trading of CO2 certificates is found to be preferable compared to forward market trading. Finally, portfolio optimization shows that a mix of various hedging strategies can further improve the profitability of a heat-based cogeneration plant.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peña Sánchez de Rivera, Juan Ignacio & Escribano, Álvaro & Villaplana, Pablo, 2002.
"Modeling electricity prices: international evidence,"
UC3M Working papers. Economics
we022708, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Alvaro Escribano & J. Ignacio Peña & Pablo Villaplana, 2011. "Modelling Electricity Prices: International Evidence," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 73(5), pages 622-650, October.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/5110 is not listed on IDEAS
- Westner, Günther & Madlener, Reinhard, 2012.
"Investment in new power generation under uncertainty: Benefits of CHP vs. condensing plants in a copula-based analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 31-44.
- Westner, Günther & Madlener, Reinhard, 2010. "Investment in New Power Generation under Uncertainty: Benefits of CHP vs Condensing Plants in a Copula-Based Analysis," FCN Working Papers 12/2010, E.ON Energy Research Center, Future Energy Consumer Needs and Behavior (FCN).
- Felder, Frank A, 1996. "Integrating financial theory and methods in electricity resource planning," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 149-154, February.
- Nakamura, Masao & Nakashima, Tomoaki & Niimura, Takahide, 2006. "Electricity markets volatility: estimates, regularities and risk management applications," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(14), pages 1736-1749, September.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/4222 is not listed on IDEAS
- Vehvilainen, Iivo & Keppo, Jussi, 2003. "Managing electricity market price risk," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 145(1), pages 136-147, February.
- Luc Bauwens & Christian M. Hafner & Diane Pierret, 2011.
"Multivariate Volatility Modeling of Electricity Futures,"
SFB 649 Discussion Papers
SFB649DP2011-063, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Luc Bauwens & Christian M. Hafner & Diane Pierret, 2013. "Multivariate Volatility Modeling Of Electricity Futures," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(5), pages 743-761, 08.
- bauwens, Luc & hafner, Christian & pierret, Diane, 2011. "Multivariate volatility modeling of electricity futures," CORE Discussion Papers 2011011, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Heydari, Somayeh & Siddiqui, Afzal, 2010. "Valuing a gas-fired power plant: A comparison of ordinary linear models, regime-switching approaches, and models with stochastic volatility," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 709-725, May.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Benz, Eva & Trück, Stefan, 2009. "Modeling the price dynamics of CO2 emission allowances," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 4-15, January.
- Westner, Günther & Madlener, Reinhard, 2009.
"The Benefit of Regional Diversification of Cogeneration Investments in Europe: A Mean-Variance Portfolio Analysis,"
FCN Working Papers
5/2009, E.ON Energy Research Center, Future Energy Consumer Needs and Behavior (FCN), revised Mar 2010.
- Westner, Günther & Madlener, Reinhard, 2010. "The benefit of regional diversification of cogeneration investments in Europe: A mean-variance portfolio analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(12), pages 7911-7920, December.
- Arouri, Mohamed El Hédi & Jawadi, Fredj & Nguyen, Duc Khuong, 2012. "Nonlinearities in carbon spot-futures price relationships during Phase II of the EU ETS," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 884-892.
- Huisman, R. & Huurman, C. & Mahieu, R.J., 2007.
"Hourly Electricity Prices in Day-Ahead Markets,"
ERIM Report Series Research in Management
ERS-2007-002-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Weron, R. & Kozłowska, B. & Nowicka-Zagrajek, J., 2001. "Modeling electricity loads in California: a continuous-time approach," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 299(1), pages 344-350.
- Rafal Weron, 2005. "Heavy tails and electricity prices," HSC Research Reports HSC/05/02, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology.
- Rong, Aiying & Lahdelma, Risto, 2007. "CO2 emissions trading planning in combined heat and power production via multi-period stochastic optimization," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(3), pages 1874-1895, February.
- Westner, Günther & Madlener, Reinhard, 2011. "Development of cogeneration in Germany: A mean-variance portfolio analysis of individual technology’s prospects in view of the new regulatory framework," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 5301-5313.
- Geman, Hélyette & Ohana, Steve, 2009. "Forward curves, scarcity and price volatility in oil and natural gas markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 576-585, July.
- Huisman, R. & Huurman, C., 2003. "Fat Tails in Power Prices," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2003-059-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/120 is not listed on IDEAS
- Guthrie, Graeme & Videbeck, Steen, 2007. "Electricity spot price dynamics: Beyond financial models," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 5614-5621, November.
- Markus Burger & Bernhard Klar & Alfred Muller & Gero Schindlmayr, 2004. "A spot market model for pricing derivatives in electricity markets," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(1), pages 109-122.
- Jin-Chuan Duan, 1995. "The Garch Option Pricing Model," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 13-32.
- Alberola, Emilie & Chevallier, Julien & Cheze, Benoi^t, 2008. "Price drivers and structural breaks in European carbon prices 2005-2007," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 787-797, February.
- Chevallier, Julien, 2011. "Detecting instability in the volatility of carbon prices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 99-110, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:enepol:v:59:y:2013:i:c:p:143-160. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.