Joint pricing and location decisions in a heterogeneous market
In this paper we consider the problem of joint location and pricing optimization for a firm in a heterogeneous market producing a single product. We assume that customers have a different willingness to pay for the product. We consider two classes of customers who are not uniformly distributed in the market and develop an analytical framework to determine the relationship between the optimal price and location of the firm. We demonstrate that the optimal price and location are closely related to each other, and thus there is a need for simultaneous optimization of the price and location. We provide both analytical and numerical results to illustrate the impact of transportation cost and the level of heterogeneity on the firm’s strategic decisions. Our results show that simplifying the analysis of such markets with a uniform demand assumption and a homogeneity of customers may reduce the firm’s profit significantly.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 261 (2017)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neven, Damien J., 1986.
"On Hotelling's competition with non-uniform customer distributions,"
Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 121-126.
- Neven, D., 1985. "On hotelling’s competition with non uniform customer distributions," CORE Discussion Papers 1985044, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Yong Liu & Daniel Putler & Charles Weinberg, 2006. "The welfare and equity implications of competition in television broadcasting: the role of viewer tastes," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer;The Association for Cultural Economics International, vol. 30(2), pages 127-140, September.
- Dominique Olié Lauga & Elie Ofek, 2011. "Product Positioning in a Two-Dimensional Vertical Differentiation Model: The Role of Quality Costs," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(5), pages 903-923, September.
- Pierre Hanjoul & Pierre Hansen & Dominique Peeters & Jacques-Francois Thisse, 1990.
"Uncapacitated Plant Location Under Alternative Spatial Price Policies,"
INFORMS, vol. 36(1), pages 41-57, January.
- HANJOUL, Pierre & HANSEN, Pierre & PEETERS, Dominique & THISSE, Jacques-François, "undated". "Uncapacitated plant location under alternative spatial price policies," CORE Discussion Papers RP 875, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Hanjoul, P. & Hansen, P. & Peeters, D. & Thisse, J.-F., 1988. "Uncapacitated plant location under alternative spatial price policies," CORE Discussion Papers 1988019, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Antoni Calvó-Armengol & Yves Zenou, 2002. "The Importance of the Distribution of Consumers in Horizontal Product Differentiation," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(4), pages 793-803.
- Calvó-Armengol, Antoni & Zenou, Yves, 2001. "The Importance of the Distribution of Consumers in Horizontal Product Differentiation," CEPR Discussion Papers 3031, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cheung, Francis K. & Wang, Xinghe, 1995. "Spatial price discrimination and location choice with non-uniform demands," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 59-73, February.
- Meagher Kieron J & Teo Ernie G.S. & Wang Wen, 2008. "A Duopoly Location Toolkit: Consumer Densities Which Yield Unique Spatial Duopoly Equilibria," The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 8(1), pages 1-23, April.
- Preyas S. Desai, 2001. "Quality Segmentation in Spatial Markets: When Does Cannibalization Affect Product Line Design?," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 20(3), pages 265-283, August.
- Abdullah Dasci & Gilbert Laporte, 2005. "A Continuous Model for Multistore Competitive Location," Operations Research, INFORMS, vol. 53(2), pages 263-280, April.
- Lacourbe, Paul, 2012. "A model of product line design and introduction sequence with reservation utility," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 220(2), pages 338-348.
- Thomas Cooke & Sarah Marchant, 2006. "The Changing Intrametropolitan Location of High-poverty Neighbourhoods in the US, 1990-2000," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 43(11), pages 1971-1989, October.
- Ganesh Iyer & P. Seetharaman, 2008. "Too close to be similar: Product and price competition in retail gasoline markets," Quantitative Marketing and Economics (QME), Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 205-234, September.
- Fabio Caldieraro, 2016. "The Role of Brand Image and Product Characteristics on Firms’ Entry and OEM Decisions," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 62(11), pages 3327-3350, November.
- Gupta, Barnali & Pal, Debashis & Sarkar, Jyotirmoy, 1997. "Spatial Cournot competition and agglomeration in a model of location choice," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 261-282, June.
- Kress, Dominik & Pesch, Erwin, 2012. "Sequential competitive location on networks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 217(3), pages 483-499.
- Hwang, Hong & Mai, Chao-cheng, 1990. "Effects of Spatial Price Discrimination on Output, Welfare, and Location," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 567-575, June.
- Tabuchi, Takatoshi & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1995. "Asymmetric equilibria in spatial competition," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 213-227.
- Aboolian, Robert & Berman, Oded & Krass, Dmitry, 2007. "Competitive facility location and design problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 182(1), pages 40-62, October.
- Anderson, Simon P. & Goeree, Jacob K. & Ramer, Roald, 1997. "Location, Location, Location," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 102-127, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:261:y:2017:i:1:p:234-246. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.