It’s not now or never: Implications of investment timing and risk aversion on climate adaptation to extreme events
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Tsvetan Tsvetanov & Farhed Shah, 2013. "The economic value of delaying adaptation to sea-level rise: An application to coastal properties in Connecticut," Climatic Change, Springer, vol. 121(2), pages 177-193, November.
- Ross Garnaut & Stephen Howes & Frank Jotzo & Peter Sheehan, 2008. "Emissions in the Platinum Age: the implications of rapid development for climate-change mitigation," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(2), pages 377-401, Summer.
- Siem Jan Koopman & AndrÃ© Lucas & Bernd Schwaab, 2012.
"Dynamic Factor Models With Macro, Frailty, and Industry Effects for U.S. Default Counts: The Credit Crisis of 2008,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(4), pages 521-532, May.
- Schwaab, Bernd & Koopman, Siem Jan & Lucas, André, 2012. "Dynamic factor models with macro, frailty and industry effects for US default counts: the credit crisis of 2008," Working Paper Series 1459, European Central Bank.
- López Cabrera, Brenda & Odening, Martin & Ritter, Matthias, 2013. "Pricing rainfall futures at the CME," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4286-4298.
- Knut Aase, 1999. "An Equilibrium Model of Catastrophe Insurance Futures and Spreads," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan;International Association for the Study of Insurance Economics (The Geneva Association), vol. 24(1), pages 69-96, June.
- Hagspiel, Verena & Huisman, Kuno J.M. & Nunes, Clàudia, 2015. "Optimal technology adoption when the arrival rate of new technologies changes," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 243(3), pages 897-911.
- J. David Cummins & Philippe Trainar, 2009. "Securitization, Insurance, and Reinsurance," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 76(3), pages 463-492.
- Phoebe Koundouri & Theologos Pantelidis & Ben Groom & Ekaterini Panopoulou, 2007.
"Discounting the distant future: How much does model selection affect the certainty equivalent rate?,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(3), pages 641-656.
- Ekaterini Panopoulou & B. Groom & P. Koundouri & Theologos Pantelidis, 2005. "Discounting the distant future: How much does model selection affect the certainty equivalent rate?," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n1480105, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Kenneth A. Froot, 2007.
"Risk Management, Capital Budgeting, and Capital Structure Policy for Insurers and Reinsurers,"
Journal of Risk & Insurance,
The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 74(2), pages 273-299.
- Kenneth A. Froot, 2003. "Risk Management, Capital Budgeting and Capital Structure Policy for Insurers and Reinsurers," NBER Working Papers 10184, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gollier, Christian & Treich, Nicolas, 2003. "Decision-Making under Scientific Uncertainty: The Economics of the Precautionary Principle," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 77-103, August.
- John C. Cox & Jonathan E. Ingersoll Jr. & Stephen A. Ross, 2005. "A Theory Of The Term Structure Of Interest Rates," World Scientific Book Chapters,in: Theory Of Valuation, chapter 5, pages 129-164 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Shane Frederick & George Loewenstein & Ted O'Donoghue, 2002. "Time Discounting and Time Preference: A Critical Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 40(2), pages 351-401, June.
- Cox, Samuel H. & Lin, Yijia & Pedersen, Hal, 2010. "Mortality risk modeling: Applications to insurance securitization," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 242-253, February.
- Christensen, Claus Vorm & Schmidli, Hanspeter, 2000. "Pricing catastrophe insurance products based on actually reported claims," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 189-200, October.
- Wolfgang Karl Härdle & Brenda López Cabrera, 2010.
"Calibrating CAT Bonds for Mexican Earthquakes,"
Journal of Risk & Insurance,
The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 77(3), pages 625-650.
- Wolfgang Härdle & Brenda López Cabrera, 2007. "Calibrating CAT bonds for Mexican earthquakes," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2007-037, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Haerdle, Wolfgang & Cabrera, Brenda Lopez, 2007. "Calibrating CAT bonds for Mexican earthquakes," 101st Seminar, July 5-6, 2007, Berlin Germany 9265, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Firoozi, Fathali & Merrifield, John, 2003. "An optimal timing model of water reallocation and reservoir construction," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 145(1), pages 165-174, February.
- Pindyck, Robert S., 2002. "Optimal timing problems in environmental economics," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(9-10), pages 1677-1697, August.
- Ermoliev, Yuri M. & Ermolieva, Tatiana Y. & MacDonald, Gordon J. & Norkin, Vladimir I. & Amendola, Aniello, 2000. "A system approach to management of catastrophic risks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 122(2), pages 452-460, April.
- Fisher, Anthony C., 2000. "Investment under uncertainty and option value in environmental economics," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 197-204, July.
- John Quiggin & David Adamson & Sarah Chambers & Peggy Schrobback, 2010.
"Climate Change, Uncertainty, and Adaptation: The Case of Irrigated Agriculture in the Murray-Darling Basin in Australia,"
Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie,
Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 58(s1), pages 531-554, December.
- Quiggin, John & Adamson, David & Chambers, Sarah & Schrobback, Peggy, 2010. "Climate change, uncertainty and adaptation: the case of irrigated agriculture in the Murray-Darling Basin in Australia," Risk and Sustainable Management Group Working Papers 152096, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- John Quiggin & David Adamson & Sarah Chambers & Peggy Schrobback, 2010. "Climate change, uncertainty and adaptation: the case of irrigated agriculture in the Murray–Darling Basin in Australia," Climate Change Working Papers WPC10_1, Risk and Sustainable Management Group, University of Queensland.
- Newell, Richard G. & Pizer, William A., 2003.
"Discounting the distant future: how much do uncertain rates increase valuations?,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 52-71, July.
- Pizer, William & Newell, Richard, 2000. "Discounting the Distant Future: How Much Do Uncertain Rates Increase Valuations?," Discussion Papers dp-00-45, Resources For the Future.
- Newell, Richard G. & Pizer, William A., 2001. "Discounting the Distant Future: How Much Do Uncertain Rates Increase Valuations?," Discussion Papers 10743, Resources for the Future.
- Tsvetanov, Tsvetan & Shah, Farhed, 2013. "The Economic Value of Delaying Adaptation to Sea-Level Rise: An Application to Coastal Properties in Connecticut," Working Paper series 148343, University of Connecticut, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Baker, Erin & Solak, Senay, 2011. "Climate change and optimal energy technology R&D policy," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 213(2), pages 442-454, September.
- Samson, Danny & Thomas, Howard, 1985. "Decision analysis models in reinsurance," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 201-211, February.
- Eden Hatzvi & Glenn Otto, 2008. "Prices, Rents and Rational Speculative Bubbles in the Sydney Housing Market," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 84(267), pages 405-420, December.
- Friedrich Hubalek & Carlo Sgarra, 2006. "Esscher transforms and the minimal entropy martingale measure for exponential Levy models," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(2), pages 125-145.
- Brouwer, Roy & van Ek, Remco, 2004. "Integrated ecological, economic and social impact assessment of alternative flood control policies in the Netherlands," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1-2), pages 1-21, September.
- Dingeç, Kemal Dinçer & Hörmann, Wolfgang, 2012. "A general control variate method for option pricing under Lévy processes," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 221(2), pages 368-377.
- Dassios, Angelos & Jang, Jiwook, 2003. "Pricing of catastrophe reinsurance and derivatives using the Cox process with shot noise intensity," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2849, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Marta Bottero & Valentina Ferretti & Giulio Mondini, 2013. "From the environmental debt to the environmental loan: trends and future challenges for intergenerational discounting," Environment, Development and Sustainability: A Multidisciplinary Approach to the Theory and Practice of Sustainable Development, Springer, vol. 15(6), pages 1623-1644, December.
- Baranzini, Andrea & Chesney, Marc & Morisset, Jacques, 2003. "The impact of possible climate catastrophes on global warming policy," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 691-701, June.
- Michael, Jeffrey A., 2007. "Episodic flooding and the cost of sea-level rise," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 149-159, June.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:eee:ejores:v:269:y:2018:i:1:p:132-145 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:gam:jrisks:v:6:y:2018:i:2:p:37-:d:141106 is not listed on IDEAS
More about this item
KeywordsClimate change adaptation; Investment timing; Catastrophic risk; Risk aversion; Real option;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:253:y:2016:i:3:p:856-868. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.