A general control variate method for option pricing under Lévy processes
We present a general control variate method for simulating path dependent options under Lévy processes. It is based on fast numerical inversion of the cumulative distribution functions and exploits the strong correlation of the payoff of the original option and the payoff of a similar option under geometric Brownian motion. The method is applicable for all types of Lévy processes for which the probability density function of the increments is available in closed form. Numerical experiments confirm that our method achieves considerable variance reduction for different options and Lévy processes. We present the applications of our general approach for Asian, lookback and barrier options under variance gamma, normal inverse Gaussian, generalized hyperbolic and Meixner processes.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 221 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Athanassios N. Avramidis & Pierre L'Ecuyer, 2006. "Efficient Monte Carlo and Quasi-Monte Carlo Option Pricing Under the Variance Gamma Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(12), pages 1930-1944, December.
- Vladimir K. Kaishev & Dimitrina S. Dimitrova, 2009. "Dirichlet Bridge Sampling for the Variance Gamma Process: Pricing Path-Dependent Options," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 55(3), pages 483-496, March.
- Kawai Reiichiro, 2006. "An importance sampling method based on the density transformation of Lévy processes," Monte Carlo Methods and Applications, De Gruyter, vol. 12(2), pages 171-186, April.
- Fusai, Gianluca & Meucci, Attilio, 2008. "Pricing discretely monitored Asian options under Levy processes," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 2076-2088, October.
- Reiichiro Kawai, 2012. "Likelihood ratio gradient estimation for Meixner distribution and Lévy processes," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 27(4), pages 739-755, December.
- Boyle, Phelim & Potapchik, Alexander, 2008. "Prices and sensitivities of Asian options: A survey," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 189-211, February.
- Leobacher G., 2006. "Stratified sampling and quasi-Monte Carlo simulation of Lévy processes," Monte Carlo Methods and Applications, De Gruyter, vol. 12(3), pages 231-238, October.
- Madan, Dilip B & Seneta, Eugene, 1990. "The Variance Gamma (V.G.) Model for Share Market Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(4), pages 511-24, October.
- Larcher Gerhard & Predota Martin & Tichy Robert F., 2003. "Arithmetic average options in the hyperbolic model," Monte Carlo Methods and Applications, De Gruyter, vol. 9(3), pages 227-239, September.
- Nick Webber & Claudia Ribeiro, 2003. "A Monte Carlo Method for the Normal Inverse Gaussian Option Valuation Model using an Inverse Gaussian Bridge," Computing in Economics and Finance 2003 5, Society for Computational Economics.
- Mark Broadie & Paul Glasserman & Steven Kou, 1997. "A Continuity Correction for Discrete Barrier Options," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(4), pages 325-349.
- Dingeç, Kemal Dinçer & Hörmann, Wolfgang, 2011. "Using the continuous price as control variate for discretely monitored options," Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (MATCOM), Elsevier, vol. 82(4), pages 691-704.
- Kemna, A. G. Z. & Vorst, A. C. F., 1990. "A pricing method for options based on average asset values," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 113-129, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:221:y:2012:i:2:p:368-377. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.