The practice of estimating the term structure of discount rates
It is extremely difficult, in practice, to precisely estimate the term structure of discount rates for capital budgeting purposes. In this paper I argue that, with only minor adjustments to current standard practice, a corporate treasurer can determine a multi-period cost of capital that is both theoretically robust and likely to be sufficiently accurate for most practical purposes. For this to be the case, corporations should have a preference for using real, rather than nominal, discounted cash flow techniques.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Constantinides, George M., 1980. "Admissible uncertainty in the intertemporal asset pricing model," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 71-86, March.
- Van Horne, James C., 1971. "A Note on Biases in Capital Budgeting Introduced by Inflation," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(01), pages 653-658, January.
- M. J. Brennan, 1997. "The Term Structure of Discount Rates," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 26(1), Spring.
- John Y. Campbell, 1992.
"Intertemporal Asset Pricing Without Consumption Data,"
NBER Working Papers
3989, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell, John Y, 1993. "Intertemporal Asset Pricing without Consumption Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 487-512, June.
- Campbell, John, 1993. "Intertemporal Asset Pricing Without Consumption Data," Scholarly Articles 3221491, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R., 2001. "The theory and practice of corporate finance: evidence from the field," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2-3), pages 187-243, May.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Martin D. D. Evans, 1998. "Real Rates, Expected Inflation, and Inflation Risk Premia," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(1), pages 187-218, 02.
- Taylor, John B., 1993. "Discretion versus policy rules in practice," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 195-214, December.
- Nelson, Charles R, 1976. "Inflation and Capital Budgeting," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(3), pages 923-31, June.
- Edwin J. Elton, 2001. "Explaining the Rate Spread on Corporate Bonds," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(1), pages 247-277, 02.
- Weitzman, Martin L., 1998. "Why the Far-Distant Future Should Be Discounted at Its Lowest Possible Rate," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 201-208, November.
- Pizer, William & Newell, Richard, 2000.
"Discounting the Distant Future: How Much Do Uncertain Rates Increase Valuations?,"
dp-00-45, Resources For the Future.
- Newell, Richard G. & Pizer, William A., 2003. "Discounting the distant future: how much do uncertain rates increase valuations?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 52-71, July.
- Jow-Ran Chang & Mao-Wei Hung, 2002. "Intertemporal hedge for inflation risk," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(4), pages 241-243.
- Constantinides, George M, 1982. "Intertemporal Asset Pricing with Heterogeneous Consumers and without Demand Aggregation," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 55(2), pages 253-67, April.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1977. "Risk-adjusted discount rates and capital budgeting under uncertainty," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 3-24, August.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Ekaterini Panopoulou & B. Groom & P. Koundouri & Theologos Pantelidis, 2005.
"Discounting the distant future: How much does model selection affect the certainty equivalent rate?,"
Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series
n1480105, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Phoebe Koundouri & Theologos Pantelidis & Ben Groom & Ekaterini Panopoulou, 2007. "Discounting the distant future: How much does model selection affect the certainty equivalent rate?," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(3), pages 641-656.
- Vasicek, Oldrich Alfonso, 1977. "Abstract: An Equilibrium Characterization of the Term Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 627-627, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:glofin:v:19:y:2009:i:3:p:219-234. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.