Forecasting long memory time series when occasional breaks occur
In this paper, in order to investigate if a long memory model will provide good forecasts even if the real DGP is affected by level shifts (as suggested by Diebold, F.X., Inoue, A., 2001. Long memory and regime switching Journal of Econometrics, 105, 131-159) we compare via simulations the forecasting performance of long memory and occasional breaks processes.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luisa Bisaglia & Silvano Bordignon, 2002. "Mean square prediction error for long-memory processes," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 43(2), pages 161-175, April.
- Dominique Guegan, 2004. "How Can We Define the Long Memory Concept? An Econometric Survey," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 361, Econometric Society.
- Dominique Guegan, 2005.
"How can we Define the Concept of Long Memory? An Econometric Survey,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(2), pages 113-149.
- Dominique Guegan, 2005. "How can we define the concept of long memory ? An econometric survey," Post-Print halshs-00179343, HAL.
- Guégan D., 2004. "How Can We Define The Concept of Long Memory? An Econometric Survey," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 178, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Francis X. Diebold & Atsushi Inoue, 2000.
"Long Memory and Regime Switching,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0264, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 1998.
"Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 47-78, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-84, March.
- Vasco J. Gabriel & Luis F. Martins, 2004. "On the forecasting ability of ARFIMA models when infrequent breaks occur," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 7(2), pages 455-475, December.
- Engle, Robert F & Smith, Aaron, 1998.
"Stochastic Permanent Breaks,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt99v0s0zx, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Granger, Clive W. J. & Hyung, Namwon, 2004. "Occasional structural breaks and long memory with an application to the S&P 500 absolute stock returns," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 399-421, June.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 2003.
"Computation and analysis of multiple structural change models,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 1-22.
- BAI, Jushan & PERRON, Pierre, 1998. "Computation and Analysis of Multiple Structural-Change Models," Cahiers de recherche 9807, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate examples of Bai-Perron procedure," Statistical Software Components RTZ00008, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "BAIPERRON: RATS procedure to perform Bai-Perron Test for Multiple Structural Changes," Statistical Software Components RTS00013, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "MULTIPLEBREAKS: RATS procedure to perform multiple structural change analysis," Statistical Software Components RTS00138, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Bhardwaj, Geetesh & Swanson, Norman R., 2006.
"An empirical investigation of the usefulness of ARFIMA models for predicting macroeconomic and financial time series,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 131(1-2), pages 539-578.
- Geetesh Bhardwaj & Norman Swanson, 2004. "An Empirical Investigation of the Usefulness of ARFIMA Models for Predicting Macroeconomic and Financial Time Series," Departmental Working Papers 200422, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:98:y:2008:i:3:p:253-258. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.