Factors related to the depth of the latest crisis for EU-27 countries: The key role of relative inequality/poverty
In this paper we investigate the relationship between the intensity of the recent global economic crisis and the current economic position of EU countries on the one hand and relative poverty and/or inequality on the other. Using data from the 27 EU member states we find a link between economic distress during and after the crisis and the degree of inequality/poverty in each country. The results show a strong positive relationship between the size of the economic crisis impact and higher inequality/poverty at the national level. We also find that these indices are more strongly correlated with the crisis variables, compared to four other well known and widely used indices.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matteo Iacoviello, 2008.
"Household Debt and Income Inequality, 1963-2003,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 40(5), pages 929-965, 08.
- Matteo Iacoviello, 2006. "Household Debt and Income Inequality, 1963-2003," 2006 Meeting Papers 585, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Matteo Iacoviello, 2005. "Household Debt and Income Inequality, 1963-2003," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 629, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 18 Oct 2007.
- Bishop, John A. & Chakraborti, S. & Thistle, Paul D., 1988. "Large sample tests for absolute Lorenz dominance," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 291-294.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999.
"The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999. "The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems," MPRA Paper 14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems," International Finance Discussion Papers 544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2000.
"Las crisis gemelas: las causas de los problemas bancarios y de balanza de pagos
[The twin crises: Te causes of banking and balance of payments problems]," MPRA Paper 13842, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:116:y:2012:i:3:p:308-311. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.