Capital account liberalization, free long-term capital flows, financial crises and economic development
The first part of this paper examines the theoretical and empirical case for full capital account liberalisation in developing countries(DCs) and finds it unconvincing. Indeed, analysis and evidence presented here point to a compelling case against it. The second part considers the liberalisation of only the long-term capital account, particularly FDI - a form of in-flow favoured by most economists. This paper, however, argues that even FDI, if unregulated, may do more harm than good. It is suggested that DCs should, therefore, resist the new advanced country proposals for a multilateral agreement on FDI.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.cbr.cam.ac.uk/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Claessens, Stijn & Dooley, Michael P & Warner, Andrew, 1995.
"Portfolio Capital Flows: Hot or Cold?,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 9(1), pages 153-74, January.
- Chari, Anusha & Henry, Peter B., 2002.
"Capital Account Liberalization: Allocative Efficiency or Animal Spirits?,"
1737, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Anusha Chari & Peter Blair Henry, 2002. "Capital Account Liberalization: Allocative Efficiency or Animal Spirits?," NBER Working Papers 8908, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Feldstein, 2002. "Economic and Financial Crises in Emerging Market Economies: Overview of Prevention and Management," NBER Working Papers 8837, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McKinnon, Ronald I & Pill, Huw, 1999.
"Exchange-Rate Regimes for Emerging Markets: Moral Hazard and International Overborrowing,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 15(3), pages 19-38, Autumn.
- Ronald I. McKinnon & Huw Pill, 1999. "Exchange Rate Regimes for Emerging Markets: Moral Hazard and International Overborrowing," Working Papers 99018, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Martin, Philippe & Rey, Hélène, 2002.
"Financial Globalization and Emerging Markets: With or Without Crash?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3378, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philippe Martin & Helene Rey, 2002. "Financial Globalization and Emerging Markets: With or Without Crash?," NBER Working Papers 9288, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gordon H. HANSON, 2001. "Should Countries Promote Foreign Direct Investment?," G-24 Discussion Papers 9, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Ann E. Harrison & Brian J. Aitken, 1999. "Do Domestic Firms Benefit from Direct Foreign Investment? Evidence from Venezuela," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 605-618, June.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999.
"The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems," International Finance Discussion Papers 544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999. "The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems," MPRA Paper 14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Manuel R. AGOSIN & Ricardo MAYER, 2000.
"Foreign Investment In Developing Countries, Does It Crowd In Domestic Investment?,"
UNCTAD Discussion Papers
146, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Manuel Agosin & Roberto Machado, 2005. "Foreign Investment in Developing Countries: Does it Crowd in Domestic Investment?," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 149-162.
- Torsten SlÃ¸k & Michael Klein & Luca Antonio Ricci & Hali J. Edison, 2002.
"Capital Account Liberalization and Economic Performance; Survey and Synthesis,"
IMF Working Papers
02/120, International Monetary Fund.
- Hali J. Edison & Michael W. Klein & Luca Antonio Ricci & Torsten Sløk, 2004. "Capital Account Liberalization and Economic Performance: Survey and Synthesis," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 51(2), pages 2.
- Hali J. Edison & Michael W. Klein & Luca Ricci & Torsten Sloek, 2002. "Capital Account Liberalization and Economic Performance: Survey and Synthesis," NBER Working Papers 9100, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Panicos O Demetriades & Kul B Luintel, 2000.
"Financial Restraints in the South Korean Miracle,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
00/5, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Enrique G. Mendoza, 2001.
"Credit, Prices, and Crashes: Business Cycles with a Sudden Stop,"
NBER Working Papers
8338, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Enrique G. Mendoza, 2002. "Credit, Prices, and Crashes: Business Cycles with a Sudden Stop," NBER Chapters, in: Preventing Currency Crises in Emerging Markets, pages 335-392 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wyplosz, Charles, 2001.
"How Risky is Financial Liberalization in the Developing Countries?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2724, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Charles WYPLOSZ, 2001. "How Risky Is Financial Liberalization In The Developing Countries?," G-24 Discussion Papers 14, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Williamson, John, 2002. "Proposals for Curbing the Boom-Bust Cycle in the Supply of Capital to Emerging Markets," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Glyn, A. & Hughes, A. & Lipietz, A. & Singh, A., 1988. "The Rise And Fall Of The Golden Age," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 884, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Caprio, Gerard Jr. & Klingebiel, Daniela, 1996. "Bank insolvencies : cross-country experience," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1620, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cbr:cbrwps:wp245. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Howard Cobb)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.