Inequality and the Crisis: A Causal Inference Analysis
A new database for the calculation of quarterly income inequality measures was established for 11 economies from Central, East and Southeast Europe for the period of 1st quarter 2000 to 4th quarter 2011. Based on the large panel of the acquired quarterly Gini coefficients an ‘Acemoglu-style’ causal inference analysis on the impact of the global financial crisis on economic growth and income inequality in transition economies was performed. The results suggest that at least in the short and medium run the growth model of transition economies switched to an industrial, export-led growth model as foreign capital flows dried up. While in the private sector wage dispersion further continued to increase during the boom just as during the economic break-down, the public sector acted inequality reducing both in the period of plenty as well as in the age of austerity.
|Date of creation:||May 2013|
|Publication status:||Published as wiiw Balkan Observatory Working Paper|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Rahlgasse 3, A-1060 Vienna|
Phone: (+43-1) 533 66 10
Fax: (+43-1) 533 66 10-50
Web page: http://www.wiiw.ac.at
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: https://wiiw.ac.at|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daron Acemoglu, 2010.
"Theory, General Equilibrium, and Political Economy in Development Economics,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 24(3), pages 17-32, Summer.
- Daron Acemoglu, 2010. "Theory, General Equilibrium and Political Economy in Development Economics," NBER Working Papers 15944, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J, 2000. "Inequality and Growth in a Panel of Countries," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 5-32, March.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson, 2007. "Disease and Development: The Effect of Life Expectancy on Economic Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 115(6), pages 925-985, December.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson, 2006. "Disease and Development: The Effect of Life Expectancy on Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 12269, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mario Holzner, 2010. "Inequality, Growth and Public Spending in Central, East and Southeast Europe," wiiw Balkan Observatory Working Papers 87, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Mario Holzner, 2011. "Inequality, growth and public spending in Central, East and Southeast Europe," Working Papers 221, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Mario Holzner, 2010. "Inequality, Growth and Public Spending in Central, East and Southeast Europe," wiiw Working Papers 71, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Engelbert Stockhammer, 2012. "Rising Inequality as a Root Cause of the Present Crisis," Working Papers wp282, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Sebastian Leitner & Mario Holzner, 2008. "Economic Inequality in Central, East and Southeast Europe," European Journal of Economics and Economic Policies: Intervention, Edward Elgar Publishing, vol. 5(1), pages 155-188.
- Mario Holzner & Sebastian Leitner, 2008. "Economic Inequality in Central, East and Southeast Europe," wiiw Balkan Observatory Working Papers 74, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Paul DE BEER, 2012. "Earnings and income inequality in the EU during the crisis," International Labour Review, International Labour Organization, vol. 151(4), pages 313-331, December.
- Georgopoulos, Demosthenes & Papadogonas, Theodore & Sfakianakis, George, 2012. "Factors related to the depth of the latest crisis for EU-27 countries: The key role of relative inequality/poverty," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 116(3), pages 308-311.
- Qin, Duo & Cagas, Marie Anne & Ducanes, Geoffrey & He, Xinhua & Liu, Rui & Liu, Shiguo, 2009. "Effects of income inequality on China's economic growth," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 69-86.
- Anthony B. Atkinson & Salvatore Morelli, 2011. "Economic crises and Inequality," Human Development Research Papers (2009 to present) HDRP-2011-06, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wii:bpaper:110. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Customer service)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.