Inequality, growth and public spending in Central, East and Southeast Europe
The article analyses the joint determinants of inequality and growth with a special emphasis on public spending structures in transition. We find especially government expenditures on subsidies to be negatively correlated with both inequality and growth, as more generally government expenditures seem to act counter-cyclically and inequality reducing. Also, there is a mutual benefit of low real interest rates, to both equity and economic development. This hints to the fact that in the late 1990's and early 2000's the European integration process allowed several of the transition economies to aim for the best of both worlds: equity and economic development.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.ecineq.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Badi H. Baltagi & Long Liu, 2009.
"A Note on the Application of EC2SLS and EC3SLS Estimators in Panel Data Models,"
Center for Policy Research Working Papers
116, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Liu, Long, 2009. "A note on the application of EC2SLS and EC3SLS estimators in panel data models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(20), pages 2189-2192, October.
- Mattias Lundberg & Lyn Squire, 2003. "The simultaneous evolution of growth and inequality," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(487), pages 326-344, 04.
- Barro, Robert J, 2000. " Inequality and Growth in a Panel of Countries," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 5-32, March.
- Sebastian Leitner & Mario Holzner, 2008.
"Economic Inequality in Central, East and Southeast Europe,"
European Journal of Economics and Economic Policies: Intervention,
Edward Elgar, vol. 5(1), pages 155-188.
- Mario Holzner & Sebastian Leitner, 2008. "Economic Inequality in Central, East and Southeast Europe," wiiw Balkan Observatory Working Papers 74, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Andreas Bergh & Günther Fink, 2008. "Higher Education Policy, Enrollment, and Income Inequality," Social Science Quarterly, Southwestern Social Science Association, vol. 89(1), pages 217-235.
- Matyas, Laszlo & Lovrics, Laszlo, 1990. "Small sample properties of simultaneous error components models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 25-34, January.
- Baltagi, Badi H., 1981. "Simultaneous equations with error components," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 189-200, November.
- Banerjee, Abhijit V & Duflo, Esther, 2003.
" Inequality and Growth: What Can the Data Say?,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 267-99, September.
- Sylwester, Kevin, 2002. "Can education expenditures reduce income inequality?," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 43-52, February.
- Edward Castronova, 2001. "Inequality and income: The mediating effects of social spending and risk," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 9(2), pages 395-415, July.
- Mo, Pak Hung, 2000. "Income Inequality and Economic Growth," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(3), pages 293-315.
- Zhang, Lei, 2008. "Political economy of income distribution dynamics," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 119-139, August.
- International Monetary Fund, 2003. "Income Inequality and Redistributive Government Spending," IMF Working Papers 03/14, International Monetary Fund.
- Balestra, Pietro & Varadharajan-Krishnakumar, Jayalakshmi, 1987. "Full Information Estimations of a System of Simultaneous Equations with Error Component Structure," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(02), pages 223-246, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inq:inqwps:ecineq2011-221. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Ana Lugo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.