A Survey on Growth and Inequality: Does Improved Inequality Data Have Anything to Say?
Theories on the relationship between inequality and economic growth can be divided into two strands of paradigm, i.e. those which predict tradeoff between growth and equity, and those which predict no tradeoff. The consensus of empirical literature in 1980s until mid 1990s suggest there need be no conflict between fast growth and distribution. Empirical works in that era, however, were subject to criticism over the reliability of inequality data. The availability and accessibility of more improved income inequality data after the publication of Deininger and Squire’s (1996) had motivated more empirical works on the relationship between growth and inequality and had also made possible the use of relatively advanced econometric methods. Recent empirical literature following this publication of new dataset, however, do not provide strong support for whether growth and inequality are negatively or positively associated. It mainly suggest no overall relation between growth and inequality. There is little indication, however, that in the context of developing countries, the tradeoff may be resolved.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2005|
|Date of revision:||Oct 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Jalan Cimandiri No.6, Bandung 40115|
Web page: http://ceds.fe.unpad.ac.id
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deininger, Klaus & Squire, Lyn, 1998. "New ways of looking at old issues: inequality and growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 259-287.
- Mattias Lundberg & Lyn Squire, 2003. "The simultaneous evolution of growth and inequality," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(487), pages 326-344, 04.
- Galor, Oded & Zeira, Joseph, 1988.
"Income Distribution and Macroeconomics,"
51644, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Sep 1989.
- Bleaney, Michael & Nishiyama, Akira, 2004. "Income inequality and growth--does the relationship vary with the income level?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 84(3), pages 349-355, September.
- Anand, Sudhir & Kanbur, S. M. R., 1993. "Inequality and development A critique," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 19-43, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unp:wpaper:200501. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Arief Anshory Yusuf)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.