Economic Crisis and Income Inequality in Korea
Using quarterly data for urban worker-households in Korea, I investigate trends in income and consumption inequality since the eruption of the recent economic crisis. I find evidence of sharply increasing income inequality while consumption inequality does not show any apparent trend. There is also evidence that severe deterioration in between-(income-decile)group inequality has more than offset minor improvement in within-group inequality, resulting in deterioration of overall income inequality. It is, therefore, believed that the worker households in Korea are undergoing a distinct process of income stratification parallel with the concentration of income after the economic crisis.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2424 Maile Way, Honolulu, HI 96822|
Web page: http://www.economics.hawaii.edu/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.economics.hawaii.edu/research/working.html Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wodon, Quentin T, 1999.
"Between Group Inequality and Targeted Transfers,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 45(1), pages 21-39, March.
- Wodon, Quentin T., 1999. "Between group inequality and targeted transfers," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2075, The World Bank.
- Jong-Wha Lee and Changyong Rhee, 1999. "Social Impacts of the Asian Crisis: Policy Challenges and Lessons," Human Development Occasional Papers (1992-2007) HDOCPA-1999-02, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Jong-Wha Lee & Changyong Rhee, 1999. "Social Impacts of the Asian Crisis: Policy Challenges and Lessons," Working Paper Series no2, Institute of Economic Research, Seoul National University.
- Branko Milanovic, 1994. "The Gini-Type Functions: An Alternative Derivation," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(1), pages 81-90, 01.
- Lambert, Peter J & Aronson, J Richard, 1993. "Inequality Decomposition Analysis and the Gini Coefficient Revisited," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(420), pages 1221-1227, September.
- Z. M. Berrebi & Jacques Silber, 1985. "Income Inequality Indices and Deprivation: A Generalization," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 100(3), pages 807-810.
- Rasche, R H, et al, 1980. "Functional Forms for Estimating the Lorenz Curve: Comment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 1061-1062, May.
- Shlomo Yitzhaki, 1979. "Relative Deprivation and the Gini Coefficient," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 93(2), pages 321-324.
- Lerman, Robert I. & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1984. "A note on the calculation and interpretation of the Gini index," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 15(3-4), pages 363-368.
- Sastry, D V S & Kelkar, Ujwala R, 1994. "Note on the Decomposition of Gini Inequality," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(3), pages 584-586, August.
- John D. Hey & Peter J. Lambert, 1980. "Relative Deprivation and the Gini Coefficient: Comment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 95(3), pages 567-573.
- Shalit, Haim, 1985. "Calculating the Gini Index of Inequality for Individual Data," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 47(2), pages 185-189, May.
- Kwang Soo Cheong, 1999. "A Comparison of Alternative Functional Forms For Parametric Estimation of the Lorenz Curve," Working Papers 199902, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Kakwani, Nanak, 1980. "On a Class of Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(2), pages 437-446, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hai:wpaper:199906. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Web Technician)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.