Linking action situations: Coordination, conflicts, and evolution in electricity provision for irrigation in Andhra Pradesh, India
Actor-centred institutional analysis can gain through an expanded focus from a focal action situation to the adjacent situations that make up its structure. Equilibrium outcomes in game models of a focal action situation may not be explainable without considering linked games. The concepts of an ‘ecology of games’, ‘nested games’ or economic network analysis indicate the relevance of this move, but a structured approach to heterogeneous networks of adjacent action situations encountered in resource and infrastructure governance has only recently been developed. This paper draws on the adjacency concept and proposes four types of links, a potential boundary for adjacency networks, and a condition for bidirectional causation between linked action situations. The relevance of the theoretical propositions laid out is empirically supported for the analysis of electricity governance of irrigation in Andhra Pradesh. The actual and empirically observed outcomes, as well as the potential capacity of an adjacent action situation to influence focal outcomes, are analysed through a set of stylised game theory models and their links.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Norgaard, Richard B, 1984. "Coevolutionary Agricultural Development," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 32(3), pages 525-546, April.
- John C. Harsanyi & Reinhard Selten, 1988. "A General Theory of Equilibrium Selection in Games," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262582384, January.
- Masahiko Aoki, 2013.
"Endogenizing institutions and institutional changes,"
Chapters,in: Comparative Institutional Analysis, chapter 16, pages 267-297
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Aoki, Masahiko, 2007. "Endogenizing institutions and institutional changes," Journal of Institutional Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(01), pages 1-31, April.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00624266 is not listed on IDEAS
- Foster, Andrew D & Rosenzweig, Mark R, 1995. "Learning by Doing and Learning from Others: Human Capital and Technical Change in Agriculture," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(6), pages 1176-1209, December.
- Mark Rosenzweig & Andrew D. Foster, "undated". "Learning by Doing and Learning from Others: Human Capital and Technical Change in Agriculture," Home Pages _068, University of Pennsylvania.
- repec:cup:apsrev:v:55:y:1961:i:04:p:831-842_12 is not listed on IDEAS
- Janssen, Marco A., 2007. "Coordination in irrigation systems: An analysis of the Lansing-Kremer model of Bali," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 93(1-3), pages 170-190, March.
- Walker, D. H. & Sinclair, F. L., 1998. "Acquiring qualitative knowledge about complex agroecosystems. Part 2: Formal representation," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 365-386, March.
- repec:cup:apsrev:v:75:y:1981:i:02:p:306-318_17 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jeroen Bergh & Sigrid Stagl, 2003. "Coevolution of economic behaviour and institutions: towards a theory of institutional change," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 289-317, August.
- Paul Downward & Andrew Mearman, 2007. "Retroduction as mixed-methods triangulation in economic research: reorienting economics into social science," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 31(1), pages 77-99, January.
- William Blomquist & Elinor Ostrom, 1985. "Institutional Capacity And The Resolution Of A Commons Dilemma," Review of Policy Research, Policy Studies Organization, vol. 5(2), pages 383-394, November.
- Golman, Russell & Page, Scott E., 2010. "Individual and cultural learning in stag hunt games with multiple actions," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 73(3), pages 359-376, March.
- Elinor Ostrom, 2010. "Analyzing collective action," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 41(s1), pages 155-166, November.
- Ostrom, Elinor, 2009. "Analyzing Collective Action," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 53215, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Konrad Hagedorn, 2008. "Particular requirements for institutional analysis in nature-related sectors," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 35(3), pages 357-384, September.
- Konrad Hagedorn, 2008. "Particular requirements for institutional analysis in nature-related sectors," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 35(4), pages 606-606, December.
- World Bank, 2010. "Deep Wells and Prudence : Towards Pragmatic Action for Addressing Groundwater Overexploitation in India," World Bank Other Operational Studies 2835, The World Bank.
- Tarui, Nori, 2007. "Inequality and outside options in common-property resource use," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 214-239, May.
- Dubash, Navroz K. & Rao, D. Narasimha, 2008. "Regulatory practice and politics: Lessons from independent regulation in Indian electricity," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 321-331, December.
- Munshi, Kaivan, 2004. "Social learning in a heterogeneous population: technology diffusion in the Indian Green Revolution," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 185-213, February.
- M. Ruth & K. Donaghy & P. Kirshen, 2006. "Introduction," Chapters,in: Regional Climate Change and Variability, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Putnam, Robert D., 1988. "Diplomacy and domestic politics: the logic of two-level games," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 42(03), pages 427-460, June.
- Jara-Rojas, Roberto & Bravo-Ureta, Boris E. & Díaz, José, 2012. "Adoption of water conservation practices: A socioeconomic analysis of small-scale farmers in Central Chile," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 110(C), pages 54-62.
- Vatn, Arild, 2005. "Rationality, institutions and environmental policy," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 203-217, November.
- Kumar, M. Dinesh, 2005. "Impact of electricity prices and volumetric water allocation on energy and groundwater demand management:: analysis from Western India," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 39-51, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolec:v:90:y:2013:i:c:p:150-158. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.