Political consumerism and public policy: Good complements against market failures?
Political consumerism has become over the past years an ever growing phenomenon, by which citizens express through their consumption their political, environmental and ethical opinions. This paper discusses political consumerism from an economic science perspective, focusing on the link between political consumerism and public policies. It wonders to what extent political consumerism may represent an effective and fair instrument against market failures. Overall, it seems that it would be better to consider it as a complement to conventional public policies.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wu, JunJie & Babcock, Bruce A., 1999.
"The Relative Efficiency of Voluntary vs Mandatory Environmental Regulations,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 158-175, September.
- Wu, JunJie & Babcock, Bruce, 1999. "The Relative Efficiency of Voluntary vs Mandatory Environmental Regulation," ISU General Staff Papers 199909010700001199, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Riera, Pere & Aranda, Leticia & Mavsar, Robert, 2007. "Efficiency and equity of forest policies: A graphic analysis using the partial equilibrium framework," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(7), pages 852-861, April.
- Jean-Paul Fitoussi & Éloi Laurent & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2007. "La stratégie environnementale de l'Union européenne," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(3), pages 381-413.
- Eloi Laurent & Jean-Paul Fitoussi & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2007. "La stratégie environnementale de l’Union européenne," Sciences Po publications 2007-24, Sciences Po.
- Jean-Paul Fitoussi & Eloi Laurent & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2007. "La stratégie environnementale de l’Union Européenne," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/2081, Sciences Po.
- Jean-Paul Fitoussi & Eloi Laurent & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2007. "La stratégie environnementale de l’Union européenne," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2007-24, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Eloi Laurent & Jean-Paul Fitoussi & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2007. "La stratégie environnementale de l'Union européenne," Working Papers hal-00972702, HAL.
- Young Min Baek, 2010. "To Buy or Not to Buy: Who are Political Consumers? What do they Think and How Do they Participate?," Political Studies, Political Studies Association, vol. 58, pages 1065-1086, December.
- Samir R. Gandhi, 2006. "Disciplining Voluntary Environmental Standards At The WTO - An Indian Legal Viewpoint," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22160, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Robert Innes, 2006. "A Theory of Consumer Boycotts under Symmetric Information and Imperfect Competition," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(511), pages 355-381, 04.
- Gilles Grolleau & Naoufel Mzoughi & Luc Thiébaut, 2004. "Les instruments volontaires :. Un nouveau mode de régulation de l'environnement ?," Revue internationale de droit économique, De Boeck Université, vol. 0(4), pages 461-481.
- Mireille Chiroleu-Assouline, 2007. "Efficacité comparée des instruments de régulation environnementale," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00306212, HAL.
- Brennan, Timothy J., 2006. ""Green" preferences as regulatory policy instrument," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 144-154, January.
- Howley, Peter & Hynes, Stephen & O'Donoghue, Cathal, 2010. "The citizen versus consumer distinction: An exploration of individuals' preferences in Contingent Valuation studies," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(7), pages 1524-1531, May.
- Anthony Downs, 1957. "An Economic Theory of Political Action in a Democracy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 65, pages 135-135.
- Buenstorf, Guido & Cordes, Christian, 2008. "Can sustainable consumption be learned? A model of cultural evolution," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(4), pages 646-657, November.
- Coad, Alex & de Haan, Peter & Woersdorfer, Julia Sophie, 2009. "Consumer support for environmental policies: An application to purchases of green cars," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(7), pages 2078-2086, May.
- Alex Coad & Peter de Haan & Julia Sophie Woersdorfer, 2008. "Consumer support for environmental policies: An application to purchases of green cars," Jena Economic Research Papers 2008-035, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- Klaus Conrad, 2001. "Voluntary Environmental Agreements vs. Emission Taxes in Strategic Trade Models," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 19(4), pages 361-381, August.
- Douadia Bougherara & Sandrine Costa & Gilles Grolleau & Lisette Ibanez, 2009. "Dealing with the aversion to the sucker’s payoff in public goods game," Working Papers 09-27, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier, revised Dec 2009.
- Cogoy, Mario, 1999. "The consumer as a social and environmental actor," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 385-398, March.
- Spangenberg, Joachim H. & Lorek, Sylvia, 2002. "Environmentally sustainable household consumption: from aggregate environmental pressures to priority fields of action," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2-3), pages 127-140, December.
- Tacconi, Luca, 1997. "An ecological economic approach to forest and biodiversity conservation: The case of vanuatu," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 1995-2008, December.
- Schumacher, Ingmar, 2010. "Ecolabeling, consumers' preferences and taxation," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(11), pages 2202-2212, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolec:v:73:y:2012:i:c:p:188-193. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.