Endogenous current account balances in a world CGE model with international financial assets
This paper presents an applied computable general equilibrium world model with financial assets and endogenous current account, and capital and financial account balances. The capital and financial account equilibrium conditions, rather than exogenous rules, constrain the current account balance. International capital flows which balance the current account are constrained by supply-and-demand equilibrium conditions on the market for international debt securities, under portfolio managers' optimizing behavior. The asset–liability structure of the financial portfolio is endogenous, and it is possible for a country-agent to have negative net financial assets. In simulations, the interaction of portfolio choices with trade supply and demand behavior leads to endogenous sign reversals in some current account balances, and it results in a different allocation of investment among regions, compared to a model with exogenously determined current account balances. In the reference scenario, this allocation generates growth that is about the same globally, but differently distributed between regions.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2007.
"The external wealth of nations mark II: Revised and extended estimates of foreign assets and liabilities, 1970-2004,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 223-250, November.
- Philip R. Lane & Gian-Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2006. "The External Wealth of Nations Mark II; Revised and Extended Estimates of Foreign Assets and Liabilities, 1970-2004," IMF Working Papers 06/69, International Monetary Fund.
- Philip R. Lane & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2006. "The External Wealth of Nations Mark II: Revised and Extended Estimates of Foreign Assets and Liabilities,1970–2004," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp126, IIIS.
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2006. "The External Wealth of Nations Mark II: Revised and Extended Estimates of Foreign Assets and Liabilities, 1970-2004," CEPR Discussion Papers 5644, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 2012.
"Does the Current Account Still Matter?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 102(3), pages 1-23, May.
- Lawrence H. Goulder & Barry Eichengreen, 1989.
"Savings Promotion, Investment Promotion, and International Competitiveness,"
in: Trade Policies for International Competitiveness, pages 5-52
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lawrence H. Goulder & Barry Eichengreen, 1988. "Savings Promotion, Investment Promotion, and International Competitiveness," NBER Working Papers 2635, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- André Lemelin, 2009. "Commerce et flux financiers internationaux : MIRAGE-D," Working Papers 2009-27, CEPII research center.
- Ianchovichina, Elena & Robert McDougall, 2000. "Theoretical Structure of Dynamic GTAP," GTAP Technical Papers 480, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Ianchovichina, Elena & Robert McDougall & Thomas W. Hertel, 2000. "A Disequilibrium Model of International Capital Mobility," GTAP Working Papers 399, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Hübler, Michael, 2011. "Technology diffusion under contraction and convergence: A CGE analysis of China," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 131-142, January.
- Jung, Hong-Sang & Thorbecke, Erik, 2003. "The impact of public education expenditure on human capital, growth, and poverty in Tanzania and Zambia: a general equilibrium approach," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 25(8), pages 701-725, November.
- Warwick J McKibbin & Andy Stoeckel, 2009.
"Modelling the Global Financial Crisis,"
CAMA Working Papers
2009-25, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- André Lemelin, 2008. "Trade and the External Wealth of Nations," Cahiers de recherche 0814, CIRPEE.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:32:y:2013:i:c:p:146-160. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.