Price stabilization using buffer stocks
The price stabilization problem is stated and solved for a nonlinear cobweb model with government stocks. It is shown that if the storage capacity for the commodity is sufficiently large then there exists a simple stabilization policy, called the 'keep supply at equilibrium (KSE)' policy, such that the equilibrium price is a global attractor for the corresponding closed-loop system. In addition, it is shown that if the government approximates the equilibrium supply with the average supply, stabilization is guaranteed. We refer to this policy as 'keep supply at average (KSA)'.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lichtenberg, A. J. & Ujihara, A., 1989. "Application of nonlinear mapping theory to commodity price fluctuatuions," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 225-246, April.
- Hommes, Cars H., 1991. "Adaptive learning and roads to chaos : The case of the cobweb," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 127-132, June.
- Hommes, Cars H., 1998. "On the consistency of backward-looking expectations: The case of the cobweb," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 33(3-4), pages 333-362, January.
- Wright, Brian D & Williams, Jeffrey C, 1982. "The Economic Role of Commodity Storage," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(367), pages 596-614, September.
- Simonovits, A, 1991. "Investment Limit Cycles in a Socialist Economy," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 27-46.
- Van Groenendaal, W. J. H. & Vingerhoets, J. W. A., 1995.
"Can international commodity agreements work?,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 257-278, June.
- Laurence Lasselle & Serge Svizzero & Clem Tisdell, 2007.
"Stability and Cycles in a Cobweb Model with Heterogeneous Expectations,"
CDMA Working Paper Series
200706, Centre for Dynamic Macroeconomic Analysis.
- Lasselle, Laurence & Svizzero, Serge & Tisdell, Clem, 2005. "Stability And Cycles In A Cobweb Model With Heterogeneous Expectations," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(05), pages 630-650, November.
- Laurence LASSELLE & Serge SVIZZERO & Clem TISDELL, 2004. "Stability and Cycles in a Cobweb Model with Heterogeneous Expectations," Economics Working Papers ECO2004/03, European University Institute.
- Xue-Zhong He & Frank H. Westerhoff, 2004.
"Commodity Markets, Price Limiters and Speculative Price Dynamics,"
Research Paper Series
136, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- He, Xue-Zhong & Westerhoff, Frank H., 2005. "Commodity markets, price limiters and speculative price dynamics," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 29(9), pages 1577-1596, September.
- Chiarella, Carl & He, Xue-Zhong, 2003.
"Dynamics of beliefs and learning under aL-processes -- the heterogeneous case,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 503-531, January.
- Carl Chiarella & Xue-Zhong He, 2001. "Dynamics of Beliefs and Learning Under aL Processes - The Heterogeneous Case," Research Paper Series 55, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Brennan, Donna C., 2003. "Price dynamics in the Bangladesh rice market: implications for public intervention," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 29(1), July.
- Akio Matsumoto, 1998. "Do Government Subsidies Stabilize Or Destabilize Agricultural Markets?," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 16(4), pages 452-466, October.
- Jensen, Roderick V. & Urban, Robin, 1984. "Chaotic price behavior in a non-linear cobweb model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 15(3-4), pages 235-240.
- Brennan, Donna, 2003. "Price dynamics in the Bangladesh rice market: implications for public intervention," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 29(1), pages 15-25, July.
- Hommes, Cars & Sonnemans, Joep & Tuinstra, Jan & Van De Velden, Henk, 2007.
"Learning In Cobweb Experiments,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(S1), pages 8-33, November.
- C.H. Hommes & J.H. Sonnemans & J. Tuinstra & H. van de Velde, 2003. "Learning in Cobweb Experiments," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 03-020/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Hommes, C.H. & Sonnemans, J. & Tuinstra, J. & Velden, H. van de, 2002. "Learning in Coweb Experiments," CeNDEF Working Papers 02-06, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Arzac, Enrique R., 1979. "An Econometric Evaluation Of Stabilization Policies For The U.S. Grain Market," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 4(01), July.
- Miranda, Mario J & Helmberger, Peter G, 1988. "The Effects of Commodity Price Stabilization Programs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(1), pages 46-58, March.
- John Conlisk, 1996. "Why Bounded Rationality?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(2), pages 669-700, June.
- Hommes, Cars H. & Nusse, Helena E. & Simonovits, Andras, 1995. "Cycles and chaos in a socialist economy," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 155-179.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul, 2000. "On information and market dynamics: The case of the U.S. beef market," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(5-7), pages 833-853, June.
- Artstein, Zvi, 1983. "Irregular cobweb dynamics," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-2), pages 15-17.
- Gallas, Jason A. C. & Nusse, Helena E., 1996. "Periodicity versus chaos in the dynamics of cobweb models," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 447-464, May.
- Boussard, Jean-Marc, 1996. "When risk generates chaos," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 433-446, May.
- Hommes, Cars H., 1994. "Dynamics of the cobweb model with adaptive expectations and nonlinear supply and demand," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 315-335, August.
- Onozaki, Tamotsu & Sieg, Gernot & Yokoo, Masanori, 2003. "Stability, chaos and multiple attractors: a single agent makes a difference," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(10), pages 1917-1938, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:dyncon:v:32:y:2008:i:4:p:1212-1235. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.