Precipitation or water capacity indices? An analysis of the benefits of alternative underlyings for index insurance
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Woodard, Joshua D. & Garcia, Philip, 2007. "Basis Risk and Weather Hedging Effectiveness," 101st Seminar, July 5-6, 2007, Berlin Germany 9254, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Gin, Xavier & Yang, Dean, 2009.
"Insurance, credit, and technology adoption: Field experimental evidencefrom Malawi,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 1-11, May.
- Gine, Xavier & Yang, Dean, 2007. "Insurance, credit, and technology adoption : field experimental evidence from Malawi," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4425, The World Bank.
- Skees, Jerry R., 2008. "Innovations in Index Insurance for the Poor in Lower Income Countries," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 37(1), April.
- Antoine Leblois & Philippe Quirion, 2010. "Agricultural Insurances Based on Meteorological Indices: Realizations, Methods and Research Agenda," Working Papers 2010.71, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- William J. Baumol, 1963. "An Expected Gain-Confidence Limit Criterion for Portfolio Selection," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(1), pages 174-182, October.
- Barnett, Barry J. & Black, J. Roy & Hu, Yingyao & Skees, Jerry R., 2005. "Is Area Yield Insurance Competitive with Farm Yield Insurance?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 30(02), August.
- Barry J. Barnett & Olivier Mahul, 2007. "Weather Index Insurance for Agriculture and Rural Areas in Lower-Income Countries," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(5), pages 1241-1247.
- Gunnar Breustedt & Raushan Bokusheva & Olaf Heidelbach, 2008. "Evaluating the Potential of Index Insurance Schemes to Reduce Crop Yield Risk in an Arid Region," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(2), pages 312-328, June.
- Linda L. Golden & Mulong Wang & Chuanhou Yang, 2007. "Handling Weather Related Risks Through the Financial Markets: Considerations of Credit Risk, Basis Risk, and Hedging," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 74(2), pages 319-346.
- Debrah, Siegfried & Hall, Harry H., 1989. "Data aggregation and farm risk analysis," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 239-245.
- Coble, Keith H. & Zuniga, Manuel & Heifner, Richard, 2003. "Evaluation of the interaction of risk management tools for cotton and soybeans," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 75(2-3), pages 323-340.
- Gardebroek, Cornelis & Oude Lansink, Alfons G.J.M., 2008. "Dynamic Microeconometric Approaches To Analysing Agricultural Policy," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6592, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Turvey, Calum G., 2002. "Insuring Heat Related Risks In Agriculture With Degree-Day Weather Derivatives," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19896, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Turvey, Calum G., 2001. "The Pricing Of Degree-Day Weather Options," Working Papers 34109, University of Guelph, Department of Food, Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Jerry R. Skees & Barry J. Barnett, 2006. "Enhancing microfinance using index-based risk-transfer products," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 66(2), pages 235-250, September.
- Aurbacher, Joachim & Lippert, Christian & Krimly, Tatjana, 2010. "Assessing The Impact Of Climate Change On Agriculture In Germany - A Ricardian Analysis," Proceedings Issues, 2010: Climate Change in World Agriculture: Mitigation, Adaptation, Trade and Food Security, June 2010, Stuttgart- Hohenheim, Germany 91257, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Skees, Jerry R., 2008. "Innovations in Index Insurance for the Poor in Lower Income Countries," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 37(01), pages 1-15, April.
- Mahul, Olivier & Skees, Jerry, 2007. "Managing agricultural risk at the country level : the case of index-based livestock insurance in Mongolia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4325, The World Bank.
- Vedenov, Dmitry V. & Barnett, Barry J., 2004. "Efficiency of Weather Derivatives as Primary Crop Insurance Instruments," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(03), December.
- Darren Hudson & Keith Coble & Jayson Lusk, 2005. "Consistency of risk premium measures," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 33(1), pages 41-49, July.
- Steven D. Hanson & Robert J. Myers & J. Roy Black, 1998. "The Effects of Crop Yield Insurance Designs on Farmer Participation and Welfare," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(4), pages 806-820.
- Oliver Musshoff & Norbert Hirschauer, 2009. "Optimizing Production Decisions Using a Hybrid Simulation-Genetic Algorithm Approach," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 57(1), pages 35-54, March.
- Anderson, Jock R., 2003. "Risk in rural development: challenges for managers and policy makers," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 75(2-3), pages 161-197.
- Musshoff, Oliver & Hirschauer, Norbert, 2007. "What benefits are to be derived from improved farm program planning approaches? - The role of time series models and stochastic optimization," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 95(1-3), pages 11-27, December.
- Ernst Berg & Bernhard Schmitz, 2008. "Weather-based instruments in the context of whole-farm risk management," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 68(1), pages 119-133, May.
- Kerkides, P. & Michalopoulou, H. & Papaioannou, G. & Pollatou, R., 1996. "Water balance estimates over Greece," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 85-104, November.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Buchholz, Matthias & Musshoff, Oliver, 2014.
"The role of weather derivatives and portfolio effects in agricultural water management,"
Agricultural Water Management,
Elsevier, vol. 146(C), pages 34-44.
- Buchholz, Matthias & Musshoff, Oliver, 2014. "The role of weather derivatives and portfolio effects in agricultural water management," 2014 Conference (58th), February 4-7, 2014, Port Maquarie, Australia 165812, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
More about this item
KeywordsIndex insurance Whole farm risk program planning approach Water capacity;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:agisys:v:104:y:2011:i:8:p:645-653. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/agsy .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.