Identifying the Common Component of International Economic Fluctuations: A New Approach
In this paper, we develop an aggregation procedure using time--varying weights for constructing the common component of international economic fluctuations. The methodology for deriving time--varying weights is based on some stylised features of the data documented in the paper. The model allows for a unified treatment of cyclical and seasonal fluctuations and also accommodates the dynamic propagation of shocks across countries. We find evidence for a "world business cycle" as well as evidence for a distinct European common component. We also find some evidence that macroeconomic fluctuations have become more closely linked across industrial economies in the period after 1973. Copyright Royal Economic Society 2003.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 113 (2003)
Issue (Month): 484 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, Rm E35, The Bute Building, Westburn Lane, St Andrews, KY16 9TS, UK|
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishers.co.uk/asp/journal.asp?ref=0013-0133|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter F. Christoffersen & Lorenzo Giorgianni, 1999.
"Interest Rate Arbitrage in Currency Baskets; Forecasting Weights and Measuring Risk,"
IMF Working Papers
99/16, International Monetary Fund.
- Christoffersen, Peter F & Giorgianni, Lorenzo, 2000. "Interest-Rate Arbitrage in Currency Baskets: Forecasting Weights and Measuring Risk," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(2), pages 242-53, April.
- Forni, Mario & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 1996.
"Dynamic Common Factors in Large Cross-Sections,"
Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 27-42.
- Forni, Mario & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 1995. "Dynamic Common Factors in Large Cross-Sections," CEPR Discussion Papers 1285, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mario Forni & Lucrezia Reichlin, 1996. "Dynamic common factors in large cross-sections," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/10149, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Diebold, Francis X & Rudebusch, Glenn D, 1996.
"Measuring Business Cycles: A Modern Perspective,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 78(1), pages 67-77, February.
- Cecchetti, Stephen G. & Kashyap, Anil K, 1996.
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 331-360, February.
- Canova, F. & Ghysels, E., 1992.
"Changes in Seasonal Patters: Are They Cyclical,"
Cahiers de recherche
9216, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Allan W. Gregory & Allen C. Head & Jacques Raynauld, 1994.
"Measuring World Business Cycles,"
902, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Pauly, Peter, 1990.
"The use of prior information in forecast combination,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 503-508, December.
- Francis X. Diebold & Peter Pauly, 1987. "The use of prior information in forecast combination," Special Studies Papers 218, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Nelson, Charles R. & Plosser, Charles I., 1982. "Trends and random walks in macroeconmic time series : Some evidence and implications," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 139-162.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Anil K. Kashyap & David W. Wilcox, 1997.
"Interactions between the seasonal and business cycles in production and inventories,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
WP-97-06, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Cecchetti, Stephen G & Kashyap, Anil K & Wilcox, David W, 1997. "Interactions between the Seasonal and Business Cycles in Production and Inventories," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(5), pages 884-92, December.
- Stockman, Alan C., 1988.
"Sectoral and national aggregate disturbances to industrial output in seven European countries,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 387-409.
- Alan C. Stockman, 1987. "Sectoral and National Aggregate Disturbances to Industrial Output in Seven European Countries," NBER Working Papers 2313, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Deutsch, Melinda & Granger, Clive W. J. & Terasvirta, Timo, 1994. "The combination of forecasts using changing weights," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 47-57, June.
- Allen C. Head, 1995. "Country Size, Aggregate Fluctuations, and International Risk Sharing," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 28(4b), pages 1096-1119, November.
- Ghysels, E., 1993.
"Seasonal Adjustment and Other Data Transformations,"
Cahiers de recherche
9322, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Ghysels, Eric, 1997. "Seasonal Adjustment and Other Data Transformations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 15(4), pages 410-18, October.
- Miron, J.A., 1988.
"A Cross-Country Comparaison Of Seasonal Cycles And Business Cycles,"
89-07, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Beaulieu, J Joseph & Miron, Jeffrey A, 1992. "A Cross Country Comparison of Seasonal Cycles and Business Cycles," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(413), pages 772-88, July.
- J. Joseph Beaulieu & Jeffrey A. Miron, 1991. "A Cross Country Comparison of Seasonal Cycles and Business Cycles," Papers 0011, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- J. Joseph Beaulieu & Jeffrey A. Miron, 1990. "A Cross Country Comparison of Seasonal Cycles and Business Cycles," NBER Working Papers 3459, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diebold, Francis X & Nerlove, Marc, 1989. "The Dynamics of Exchange Rate Volatility: A Multivariate Latent Factor Arch Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(1), pages 1-21, Jan.-Mar..
- Franses, Philip Hans & Hylleberg, Svend & Lee, Hahn S., 1995. "Spurious deterministic seasonality," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 48(3-4), pages 249-256, June.
- Gerlach, H M Stefan, 1988. "World Business Cycles under Fixed and Flexible Exchange Rates," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 20(4), pages 621-32, November.
- Lippi, Marco & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 1994.
"Common and uncommon trends and cycles,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 624-635, April.
- Eswar S Prasad & Tamim Bayoumi, 1996.
"Currency Unions, Economic Fluctuations, and Adjustment; Some New Empirical Evidence,"
IMF Working Papers
96/81, International Monetary Fund.
- Tamim Bayoumi & Eswar Prasad, 1997. "Currency Unions, Economic Fluctuations, and Adjustment: Some New Empirical Evidence," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 44(1), pages 36-58, March.
- Altonji, Joseph G & Ham, John C, 1990.
"Variation in Employment Growth in Canada: The Role of External, National, Regional, and Industrial Factors,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(1), pages S198-236, January.
- Joseph G. Altonji & John C. Ham, 1986. "Variation in Employment Growth in Canada: The Role of External, National, Regional and Industrial Factors," NBER Working Papers 1816, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adrian Pagan, 1997. "Towards an Understanding of Some Business Cycle Characteristics," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 30(1), pages 1-15.
- Engle, Robert F & Hylleberg, Svend, 1996. "Common Seasonal Features: Global Unemployment," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 58(4), pages 615-30, November.
- Robin L. Lumsdaine & Serena Ng, 1998.
"Testing for ARCH in the Presence of a Possibly Misspecified Conditional Mean,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
370, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Lumsdaine, Robin L. & Ng, Serena, 1999. "Testing for ARCH in the presence of a possibly misspecified conditional mean," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 257-279, December.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1993.
"A Procedure for Predicting Recessions with Leading Indicators: Econometric Issues and Recent Experience,"
in: Business Cycles, Indicators and Forecasting, pages 95-156
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1992. "A Procedure for Predicting Recessions With Leading Indicators: Econometric Issues and Recent Experience," NBER Working Papers 4014, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baxter, M. & Stockman, A.C., 1988.
"Business Cycles And The Exchange Rate System: Some International Evidence,"
RCER Working Papers
140, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Marianne Baxter & Alan C. Stockman, 1988. "Business Cycles and the Exchange Rate System: Some International Evidence," NBER Working Papers 2689, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. Joseph Beaulieu & Jeffrey K. MacKie-Mason & Jeffrey A. Miron, 1992. "Why Do Countries and Industries with Large Seasonal Cycles Also Have Large Business Cycles?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(2), pages 621-656.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-84, March.
- Norrbin, Stefan C. & Schlagenhauf, Don E., 1996. "The role of international factors in the business cycle: A multi-country study," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1-2), pages 85-104, February.
- Robert F. Engle & Sharon Kozicki, 1990.
"Testing For Common Features,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0091, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Artis, Michael J & Zhang, Wenda, 1999. "Further Evidence on the International Business Cycle and the ERM: Is There a European Business Cycle?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(1), pages 120-32, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecj:econjl:v:113:y:2003:i:484:p:101-127. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.