Government Effectiveness, Education, Economic Development And Well-Being: Analysis Of European Countries In Comparison With The United States And Canada, 2000-2007
In this article we present an econometric analysis of the relationship between several indicators of economic development and wellbeing in Europe, the United States and Canada. We calculate a compound index of several indicators based on three groups: 1) Life satisfaction and income per capita, 2) governance indicators based on World Bank, including Voice and Accounting Index and Government Effectiveness Index, and 3) Educational indicators, including public education expenditure per capita and average total years of schooling, The most outstanding countries in the overall index are Norway, Denmark, Sweden, the United States, Austria, Ireland, Switzerland, Canada, Finland, Netherlands, and the United Kingdom. The three groups of indicators are highly correlated in several ways, due to the important positive effects of education on economic development and governance effectiveness, as well as to the positive effects of the “Voice and Accounting” index on “Governance Effectiveness”, and the importance of the latter for economic development, as it is shown in the estimated econometric models.
Volume (Year): 9 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm |
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.usc.es/economet/info.htm Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guisan, M.Carmen & Frias, Isidro, 1996.
"Economic growth and social welfare in the European regions,"
9, University of Santiago de Compostela. Faculty of Economics and Business. Econometrics..
- Guisan, M.C. & Frias, I., 1997. "Economic Growth and Social Welfare in the European Regions," Faculty of Economics 10, Universidad de Santiago de Compostela, Faculty of Economics, Applied Econometric and Quantitative Studies.
- Lee, Jong-Wha & Barro, Robert J, 2001.
"Schooling Quality in a Cross-Section of Countries,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 68(272), pages 465-88, November.
- Jong-Wha Lee & Robert J. Barro, 1997. "Schooling Quality in a Cross Section of Countries," NBER Working Papers 6198, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lee, J.-W. & Barro, R.J., 1998. "Schooling Quality in a Cross Section of Countries," Papers 659, Harvard - Institute for International Development.
- Andrew Sharpe, 1999. "A Survey of Indicators of Economic and Social Well-being," CSLS Research Reports 99wb, Centre for the Study of Living Standards.
- GUISAN, Carmen & Neira, Isabel, 2006. "Direct and Indirect Effects of Human Capital on World Development, 1960-2004," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 6(1), pages 17-34.
- Guisan, M.Carmen & Cancelo, M.Teresa, 2001. "Economic Development in OECD Countries during the 20th Century," Economic Development 49, University of Santiago de Compostela. Faculty of Economics and Business. Econometrics..
- Portela, Marta & Neira, Isabel, 2002. "Capital Social: Concepto y Estudio Econometrico sobre el Capital Social en España," Estudios Economicos de Desarrollo Internacional, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 2(2).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eaa:aeinde:v:9:y:2009:i:1_4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.