The Effect of Job Displacement on Subsequent Health
Using data from the 1994-1996 waves of the German Socio-Economic Panel (GSOEP), this prospective longitudinal study investigates the association between job displacement and subsequent self-assessed health (SAH). The sample consists of 253 displaced workers and a comparison group of 6,934 continuously-employed workers. Controlling for baseline SAH and standard demographic characteristics, we find no statistical association between job displacement and subsequent SAH. Our findings are consistent with those of earlier studies of the relationship between unemployment and subsequent health.
Volume (Year): 70 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Mohrenstraße 58, D-10117 Berlin|
Web page: http://www.diw.de/en
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Regina T. Riphahn, 1999.
"Income and employment effects of health shocks A test case for the German welfare state,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 12(3), pages 363-389.
- Riphahn, Regina T., 1998. "Income and Employment Effects of Health Shocks - A Test Case for the German Welfare State," IZA Discussion Papers 10, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Frese, Michael & Mohr, Gisela, 1987. "Prolonged unemployment and depression in older workers: A longitudinal study of intervening variables," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 173-178, January.
- Hausman, Jerry, 2015. "Specification tests in econometrics," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 38(2), pages 112-134.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978. "Specification Tests in Econometrics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-1271, November.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976. "Specification Tests in Econometrics," Working papers 185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Westin, Steinar, 1990. "The structure of a factory closure: Individual responses to job-loss and unemployment in a 10-year controlled follow-up study," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 31(12), pages 1301-1311, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)