Colombian regions: Competitive or complementary?
This paper analyses the characteristics of interregional competition and complementarity in Colombia during the period 1960-2000. The analysis is based on an application of the Dendrinos-Sonis model which is calculated using the SUR estimator. The evidence shows a country with a low level of integration among the different regions and a high level of competition. These findings are consistent with the observed income polarization process. Policymakers must take into account the competitive regional relationships to propose adequate policies such as the adoption of regional redistribution strategies, or other interventions that might enhance regional interaction and integration.
Volume (Year): (2003)
Issue (Month): (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cristina Fernández M., 1998.
"Agglomeration and Trade: The Case of Colombia,"
Ensayos sobre Política Económica,
Banco de la Republica de Colombia, vol. 17(33), pages 85-123, Junio.
- Jaime Bonet Morón & Adolfo Meisel Roca, 1999. "La convergencia Regional en Colombia: una visión de largo plazo, 1926-1995," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO SOBRE ECONOMÍA REGIONAL 002955, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
- Jaime Bonet Morón, 1999. "El crecimiento regional en Colombia, 1980-1996: una aproximación con el método Shift-Share," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO SOBRE ECONOMÍA REGIONAL 002481, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
- Adolfo Meisel Roca, .
"Dutch Disease and Banana Exports in the Colombian Caribbean, 1910-1950,"
Borradores de Economia
108, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Adolfo Meisel R., 1998. "Dutch Disease And Banana Exports In The Colombian Caribbean, 1910-1950," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002384, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Ricardo Rocha & Alejandro Vivas, 1998. "Crecimiento regional en Colombia: ¿Persiste la desigualdad?," REVISTA DE ECONOMÍA DEL ROSARIO, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO, January.
- Krugman, Paul & Elizondo, Raul Livas, 1996.
"Trade policy and the Third World metropolis,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 137-150, April.
- Birchenall Jiménez Javier Arturo, 1997. "Convergencia regional: una revisión del caso colombiano," REVISTA DESARROLLO Y SOCIEDAD, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE, September.
- Boris Salazar Trujillo, 1994. "Fábula y Trama en el Relato de la Convergencia," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO-CIDSE 004009, UNIVERSIDAD DEL VALLE - CIDSE.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000151:002151. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Facultad de Economía)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.