Banknote Printing at Modern central Banking: Trends, Costs and Efficiency
This paper examines trends in banknote printing during the period 2000-2005 for a crosssection of 56 central banks. Because of the high increase in the demand for currency in recent years, central banks have implemented new strategies to increase efficiency in the production of banknotes. Some of them, involve the private sector by means of different modalities (e.g. joint ventures, subsidiaries or purchase of banknotes from specialized companies), and the integration of banknote printing and cash processing in a single complex (e.g. Portugal and Colombia). A cost function using a panel data model with random effects was estimated. It was identified that the denomination structure, the size of banknotes, and the production method used by central banks have a significant impact on production costs. Government printing was found to be the most costly method, while private-sector involvement in the process substantially reduces production costs. Using a non-parametric efficient frontier model, it was found that most central banks have increased its technical efficiency during the period, especially in central banks where the privatesector has involved. Computing a Malmquist index through distance functions it was identified that central banks have showed a moderate increase in its productivity, primarily due to increases in efficiency and, in a lower proportion to technical change. In most of the cases, a positive change in efficiency is mainly the result of higher scale efficiency. This could obey to high increase in demand for currency.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): XXI (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (July-December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Durango 54, Col. Roma, México D. F., 06700|
Phone: 52 (55) 5061 6680
Web page: http://www.cemla.org
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.cemla.org Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berger, Allen N. & Mester, Loretta J., 1997.
"Inside the black box: What explains differences in the efficiencies of financial institutions?,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 21(7), pages 895-947, July.
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "Inside the Black Box: What Explains Differences in the Efficiencies of Financial Institutions?," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-04, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "Inside the black box: what explains differences in the efficiencies of financial institutions?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-10, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "Inside the black box: what explains differences in the efficiencies of financial institutions?," Working Papers 97-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Jeffrey M. Lacker, 1993. "Should we subsidize the use of currency?," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Win, pages 47-73.
- José De Gregorio, 2003.
"Mucho Dinero y Poca Inflación: Chile y la Evidencia Internacional,"
Economic Policy Papers Central Bank of Chile
08, Central Bank of Chile.
- José De Gregorio, 2003. "Mucho Dinero y Poca Inflación: Chile y la Evidencia Internacional," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 40(121), pages 716-724.
- Jerry Mushin, 1998. "Modeling the currency issue," Atlantic Economic Journal, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 26(3), pages 252-258, September.
- Carlos Arango A. & Martha Misas A. & Enrique López, 2005.
"Economía Subterránea En Colombia 1976-2003: Una Medición A Partir De La Demanda De Efectivo,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
002396, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Carlos A. Arango & Martha Misas & Enrique López, 2006. "Economía subterránea en Colombia 1976-2003: una medición a partir de la demanda de efectivo," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE, vol. 24(50), pages 154-211, June.
- Carlos A. Arango & Martha Misas & Enrique López, 2006. "Economía subterránea en Colombia 1976-2003: una medición a partir de la demanda de efectivo," Ensayos sobre Política Económica, Banco de la Republica de Colombia, vol. 24(50), pages 154-211, Junio.
- Carlos Arango A. & Martha Misas & Enrique López, . "Economía Subterránea en Colombia 1976-2003: Una medición a partir de la Demanda de Efectivo," Borradores de Economia 335, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- James Bohn & Diana Hancock & Paul Bauer, 2001. "Estimates of scale and cost efficiency for Federal Reserve currency operations," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q IV, pages 2-26.
- David C. Wheelock & Paul W. Wilson, 2004. "Trends in the efficiency of Federal Reserve check processing operations," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 7-20.
- Jorge Galán Camacho & Miguel Sarmiento Paipilla, .
"Staff, Functions, and Staff Costs at Central Banks: An International Comparison with a Labor-demand Model,"
Borradores de Economia
419, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Jorge E. Galán Camacho & Miguel Sarmiento Paipilla, 2007. "Staff, Functions, and Staff Costs at Central Banks: an International Comparison with a Labor- Demand Model," Money Affairs, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(2), pages 131-179, July-Dece.
- Jorge Galán Camacho & Miguel Sarmiento, 2006. "Staff, Functions, and Staff Costs at Central Banks: An International Comparison with a Labor-demand Model," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003524, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1978. "A Note on a Random Coefficients Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 19(3), pages 793-96, October.
- Loretta J. Mester, 2003. "Applying efficiency measurement techniques to central banks," Working Papers 03-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Fare, Rolf & Shawna Grosskopf & Mary Norris & Zhongyang Zhang, 1994. "Productivity Growth, Technical Progress, and Efficiency Change in Industrialized Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 66-83, March.
- Wheelock, David C & Wilson, Paul W, 1999.
"Technical Progress, Inefficiency, and Productivity Change in U.S. Banking, 1984-1993,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 31(2), pages 212-34, May.
- David C. Wheelock & Paul W. Wilson, 1996. "Technical progress, inefficiency and productivity change in U.S. banking, 1984-1993," Working Papers 1994-021, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Mauricio Hernández Monsalve & Munir A. Jalil Barney & Carlos Esteban Posada, 2006. "¿Por qué ha crecido tanto la cantidad de dinero?: teoría y Evidencia Internacional (1975-2002)," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003821, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Carlos A. Arango A. & Martha Misas A. & Juan Nicolás Hernández, .
"La Demanda de Especies Monetarias en Colombia: Estructura y Pronóstico,"
Borradores de Economia
309, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Carlos A. Arango A., 2004. "La Demanda De Especies Monetarias En Colombia: Estructura Y Pronóstico," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002964, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "The Economic Theory of Index Numbers and the Measurement of Input, Output, and Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1393-1414, November.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cml:moneya:v:xxi:y:2008:i:2:p:217-262. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Laura Sibaja-Jiménez)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.