Exchange Rate Analysis in Practice
This paper describes the main tools used to analyze the exchange rate in the process of conducting and analyzing the macroeconomic policies of the Chilean Central Bank (CCB). In doing so, we first describe the main methodologies used to construct real exchange rate (RER) indices, and corroborate that the RER index regularly published by the CCB has the desired properties. Second, we discuss different concepts of RER equilibrium and review methodologies that can empirically approximate the concept of medium to long-term RER equilibrium. For all these methodologies, we report estimations of the equilibrium RER during 2005. In each case, we identify the main assumptions behind the results. Finally, we analyze some variables that describe the behavior of the exchange market, that are a complementary tool to the equilibrium RER estimates, and are useful to assess whether there is an unusual behavior or exceptional circumstances in this market.
Volume (Year): 11 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casilla No967, Santiago|
Phone: (562) 670 2000
Fax: (562) 698 4847
Web page: http://www.bcentral.cl/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dominique Desruelle & Alessandro Zanello, 1997. "A Primeron the IMF's Information Notice System," IMF Working Papers 97/71, International Monetary Fund.
- Robert E. Cumby, 1996. "Forecasting Exchange Rates and Relative Prices with the Hamburger Standard: Is What You Want What You Get With McParity?," NBER Working Papers 5675, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- César Calderón & Roberto Duncan, 2003.
"Purchasing power parity in an emerging market economy: a long- span study for Chile,"
Estudios de Economia,
University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 30(1 Year 20), pages 103-132, June.
- César Calderón & Roberto Duncan, 2003. "Purchasing Power Parity in an Emerging Market Economy: A Long-Span Study for Chile," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 215, Central Bank of Chile.
- Isard,Peter, 1995. "Exchange Rate Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521466004, January.
- Jorge Selaive C., 2005. "Actividad del Mercado Cambiario y Movimiento del Tipo de Cambio Nominal," Notas de Investigación Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 8(3), pages 75-83, December.
- Paul Cashin & C. John McDermott, 2006. "Parity Reversion in Real Exchange Rates: Fast, Slow, or Not at All?," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 53(1), pages 1-5.
- Peter Isard, 2006. "Uncovered Interest Parity," IMF Working Papers 06/96, .
- David Hargreaves & Bruce White, 1999. "Measures of New Zealand's effective exchange rate," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 62, September.
- Isard,Peter, 1995. "Exchange Rate Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521460477, January.
- Luci Ellis, 2001. "Measuring the Real Exchange Rate: Pitfalls and Practicalities," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp2001-04, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Hamid Faruqee, 1995. "Long-Run Determinants of the Real Exchange Rate: A Stock-Flow Perspective," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 42(1), pages 80-107, March.
- Kevin Cowan & David Rappoport & Jorge Selaive, 2007. "High Frequency Dynamics of the Exchange Rate in Chile," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 433, Central Bank of Chile.
- Broda, Christian, 2004. "Terms of trade and exchange rate regimes in developing countries," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 31-58, May.
- Rodrigo Caputo G. & Bernardo Dominichetti H., 2005. "Revisión Metodológica en el Cálculo del IPE e Implicancias sobre los Modelos de Serie de Tiempo Para el TCR," Notas de Investigación Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 8(1), pages 77-82, April.
- Barrell, Ray & Wren-Lewis, Simon, 1989. "Fundamental Equilibrium Exchange Rates for the G7," CEPR Discussion Papers 323, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chb:bcchec:v:11:y:2008:i:1:p:61-91. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.