La transmission entre les marchés boursiers :Une analyse en composante principale
Cet article examine le comportement des rendements des indices de cinq facteurs :trois blocs de marchés (AMERIQUE, EUROPE et ASIE) et deux marchés indépendants (JAPON et AUSTRALIE). Nous proposons d’analyser la transmission des perturbations financières et l’examen des liens entre les différents blocs. La modélisation VAR (Vector Autoregression), la décomposition généralisée de la variance des erreurs de prévision ainsi que l’étude des réponses impulsionnelles ont été adoptées pour modéliser les rendements quotidiens des cinq facteurs durant la période allant du 01/03/1995 au 31/03/2003. Cette période permet de suivre le comportement des blocs de marchés avant et après l’éclatement de la bulle spéculative en mars 2000. Les principaux résultats montrent d’une part, l’existence des relations entre les différents blocs et d’autre part le rôle important du bloc américain dans l’explication des variations des autres blocs et des autres marchés. / This article examines the indices return behaviour of five factors: three financial markets blocks (AMERICA, EUROPE and ASIA) and two independent markets (JAPAN and AUSTRALIA). We propose to analyze the transmission of the financial perturbations and the examination of linkage between different blocks. Vector autoregression (VAR), generalized decomposition of the variance of the errors of forecast as well as the study of the impulse responses were adopted to model the daily return of the five factors from 01/03/1995 to 31/03/2003. This period makes possible to follow the indices behaviour before and after the speculative bubble bursting in March 2000. The principal results show on the one hand, the existence of the relations between the different blocks and on the other hand the significant role of American block in the explanation of the variations of the other blocks and other markets.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John M. Griffin & Federico Nardari & Rene M. Stulz, 2004.
"Stock Market Trading and Market Conditions,"
NBER Working Papers
10719, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gerald P. Dwyer & R. W. Hafer, 1988. "Are national stock markets linked?," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 3-14.
- Pesaran, H. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1998.
"Generalized impulse response analysis in linear multivariate models,"
Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-29, January.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y., 1997. "Generalised Impulse Response Analysis in Linear Multivariate Models," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9710, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Barry Eichengreen & Andrew K. Rose & Charles Wyplosz, 1996.
"Contagious Currency Crises,"
NBER Working Papers
5681, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Kristin Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 2000.
"Contagion in Latin America: Definitions, Measurement, and Policy Implications,"
NBER Working Papers
7885, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roberto Rigobón & Kristin Forbes, 2001. "Contagion in Latin America: Definitions, Measurement, and Policy Implications," ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, vol. 0(Spring 20), pages 1-46, January.
- Elyasiani, Elyas & Kocagil, Ahmet E. & Mansur, Iqbal, 2007. "Information transmission and spillover in currency markets: A generalized variance decomposition analysis," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 312-330, May.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S. & Bergman, Michael, 2004.
"Dissecting the PPP puzzle: the unconventional roles of nominal exchange rate and price adjustments,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 135-150, October.
- Yin-wong Cheung & Kon S. Lai & Michael Bergman, 2003. "Dissecting the PPP Puzzle: The Unconventional Roles of Nominal Exchange Rate and Price Adjustments," Working Papers 102003, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Kon S. Lai & Michael Bergman, 2003. "Dissecting the PPP Puzzle: The Unconventional Roles of Nominal Exchange Rate and Price Adjustment," CESifo Working Paper Series 924, CESifo Group Munich.
- Chowdhury, Abdur R., 1994. "Stock market interdependencies: Evidence from the asian NIEs," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 629-651.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1998. "Interest Rate Volatily, Contagion and Convergence: And Empirical Investigation of the Cases of Argentina, Chile and México," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 1, pages 55-86, November.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:7:y:2006:i:5:p:1-15 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pavan Ahluwalia, 2000. "Discriminating Contagion; An Alternative Explanation of Contagious Currency Crises in Emerging Markets," IMF Working Papers 00/14, International Monetary Fund.
- Giorgio Canarella & Stephen M. Miller & Stephen K. Pollard, 2008.
"Dynamic Stock Market Interactions between the Canadian, Mexican, and the United States Markets: The NAFTA Experience,"
2008-49, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Giorgio Canarella & Stephen M. Miller & Stephen K. Pollard, 2009. "Dynamic Stock Market Interactions between the Canadian, Mexican, and the United States Markets: The NAFTA Experience," Working Papers 0905, University of Nevada, Las Vegas , Department of Economics.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Rose, Andrew & Wyplosz, Charles, 1996. " Contagious Currency Crises: First Tests," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 98(4), pages 463-84, December.
- Janakiramanan, Sundaram & Lamba, Asjeet S., 1998. "An empirical examination of linkages between Pacific-Basin stock markets," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 155-173, June.
- Pretorius, Elna, 2002. "Economic determinants of emerging stock market interdependence," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 84-105, March.
- Collins, Daryl & Biekpe, Nicholas, 2003. "Contagion: a fear for African equity markets?," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 285-297.
- Eun, Cheol S. & Shim, Sangdal, 1989. "International Transmission of Stock Market Movements," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(02), pages 241-256, June.
- Koop, Gary & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Potter, Simon M., 1996. "Impulse response analysis in nonlinear multivariate models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 119-147, September.
- Paul R Masson, 1998. "Contagion; Monsoonal Effects, Spillovers, and Jumps Between Multiple Equilibria," IMF Working Papers 98/142, International Monetary Fund.
- Caramazza, Francesco & Ricci, Luca & Salgado, Ranil, 2004. "International financial contagion in currency crises," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 51-70, February.
- Kaminsky, Graciela L. & Reinhart, Carmen M., 2000.
"On crises, contagion, and confusion,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 145-168, June.
- Alper, C. Emre & Yilmaz, Kamil, 2004. "Volatility and contagion: evidence from the Istanbul stock exchange," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 353-367, December.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1996.
"Cointegration and speed of convergence to equilibrium,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(1-2), pages 117-143.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Shin, Y., 1993. "Cointegration and Speed of Convergence to Equilibrium," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9311, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Choudhry, Taufiq, 1997. "Stochastic Trends in Stock Prices: Evidence from Latin American Markets," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 285-304, April.
- Jian Yang & Insik Min & Qi Li, 2003. "European Stock Market Integration: Does EMU Matter?," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(9-10), pages 1253-1276.
- Sebastian Edwards, 2000. "Introduction to "Capital Flows and the Emerging Economies: Theory, Evidence, and Controversies"," NBER Chapters, in: Capital Flows and the Emerging Economies: Theory, Evidence, and Controversies, pages 1-12 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Taimur Baig & Ilan Goldfajn, 2000.
"The Russian default and the contagion to Brazil,"
Textos para discussão
420, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- George M. von Furstenberg & Bang Nam Jeon, 1989. "International Stock Price Movements: Links and Messages," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 20(1), pages 125-180.
- Tuluca, Sorin A & Zwick, Burton, 2001. "The Effects of the Asian Crisis on Global Equity Markets," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 36(1), pages 125-41, February.
- Dekker, Arie & Sen, Kunal & Young, Martin R., 2001. "Equity market linkages in the Asia Pacific region: A comparison of the orthogonalised and generalised VAR approaches," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 1-33.
- Jun Nagayasu, 2000.
"Currency Crisis and Contagion; Evidence From Exchange Rates and Sectoral Stock Indices of the Philippines and Thailand,"
IMF Working Papers
00/39, International Monetary Fund.
- Nagayasu, Jun, 2001. "Currency crisis and contagion: evidence from exchange rates and sectoral stock indices of the Philippines and Thailand," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 529-546.
- Ewing, Bradley T., 2001. "Cross-Effects of Fundamental State Variables," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 633-645, October.
- Jae H. Kim & Hristos Doucouliagos, 2005. "Realized Volatility and Correlation in Grain Futures Markets: Testing for Spill-Over Effects," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 22/05, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Reside, Renato E, Jr & Gochoco-Bautista, Maria Socorro, 1999. "Contagion and the Asian Currency Crisis," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 67(5), pages 460-74, Special I.
- Chen, Nai-fu & Zhang, Feng, 1997. "Correlations, trades and stock returns of the Pacific-Basin markets," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 5(5), pages 559-577, December.
- Chen, Gong-meng & Firth, Michael & Meng Rui, Oliver, 2002. "Stock market linkages: Evidence from Latin America," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1113-1141, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bxr:bxrceb:2013/81314. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.